“Nice little Family style restaurant”

Monell's Dining & Catering
Ranked #4 of 2,031 Restaurants in Nashville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Germantown
Description: When in Nashville do as the locals do... Pass the Peas..Please! Great Southern Food served Family Style in Historic Settings. Located in historic buildings, Monell's as been a Nashville staple since 1995. Come on in, grab a seat and pass the food to the left. Monell's famous Skillet Fried Chicken served at every meal, including our weekend country breakfast. A vist to Nashville is not complete without dining at Monell's. Enter as strangers...Leave as Friends. Monell's - 4 locations to serve you.
New York City, New York
“Nice little Family style restaurant”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I liked this restaurant for the side dishes. We went on fried chicken and catfish night. The fish was amazing, tender and juicy fried perfectly. I didn't like the chicken, it was bland and a little dry. Again the sides were amazing. I could have just ate the sides. I wouldn't go back unless there was something else on the main course menu.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great home style cooking!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

You start eating as son as you are seated! The food just keeps coming - it's served home style so you can try a little bit of everything. Strawberry lasagna is awesome for dessert.

London, United Kingdom
“Its an experience - only in Nashville !”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Wow. Its an experience coming here. Some people can eat so much its a mystery where they put the food. Great place for watching the world go by, and the food is real "comfort" food and plenty of it !

Staff are first class and service is great. Gets busy but you do meet a lot of people from all over the world here. Make sure you visit when you are in town !

Nashville, Tennessee
“If you're not friendly, you won't like this place”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is on my All Time Top 5 list of places to eat.

My favorite thing is to watch the people eating there for the first time; it's funny. I've learned to take small portions (except for the cukes - I take piles of those) so I don't have to "pass" on anything later.

I've never tasted a bad bite of food at Monell's, let alone a bad meal. Sure, maybe your grammaw cooks better, but you've never taken me to her house for supper, so I'll just have to take your word for it.

I've never been seated with unfriendly or boring people. Be prepared to answer the requisite questions: "Where ya from?" and "Have you eaten here before?".

I've never experienced poor or unfriendly service. It's always been great. The waiters always act like they know (and like) me.

I don't even mind if I have to wait to be seated. It's part of the experience, but you should know that you may have to wait awhile. Once people are seated, they are not being hurried out the door to make way for the next batch. (You'll appreciate that when it's your turn.)

If you're a food snob or a people hater, you'll want to go elsewhere. This aintcher kinda place.

But if you're an average, hungry human who enjoys a big, noisy, family meal, I hope I get to sit at your table next time. Be warned - I WILL bogart those mashed potatoes!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Shelly C
Morristown TN
“Wonderful food and service.”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We visited Monell's at the Mansion, it was a wonderful experience. The food was great, and we really like the family style of serving it. It was good old southern cooking, and was delicious. You need to be really hungry when you go there, as they serve you all that you can eat. The only downside to this was the apple pie. It was dry and not too tasty.

Visited January 2013