“Outstanding”
Review of Midtown Cafe

Midtown Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Midtown Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #74 of 2,098 Restaurants in Nashville
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: For 29+ years, a top ranked locally and nationally casual fine dining destination just off West End, that offers iconic breakfast, lunch and dinner signature dishes, Contemporary American cuisine with a Southern flair and the finest local and seafood / beef / veal ingredients. Superlative service is by a veteran hospitality staff of professionals. Midtown Cafe offers free shuttle service from downtown hotels and to local performance venues including Bridgestone, Ryman, Schemerhorn, TPAC after dinner with phone reservations. A fantastic wine list includes 40+ glass selections and 150 bottles, and a multi-course "Tasting Menu" that changes nightly and is available a la carte. Breakfast weekdays starting at 7am has been added and served through lunch until 2:30pm M - F. Dinner at 4:30pm M - Sat.
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I arranged dinner here for 20 of us from out of town. It was outstanding. I ordered lemon artichoke soup and then Ahi tuna and the food was excellent. The service was excellent as well. The 2 servers we had have been there for 17 and 14 years. They were knowledgable and polished and attentive.

The restaurant is quiet and intimate and stylish. If I lived in Nashville, it would be a favorite.

1  Thank 43michael

Reviewed December 26, 2012

"Back in the day" (when the restaurant was decorated) this place was the "go to" for power lunches and interesting food choices. A group of four of us went last month for a birthday. While it has retained its "cozy" status (albeit dated), the food and service were appallingly bad. The menu is uninspired and does not offer many healthy choices. We started with the shrimp appetizer which was 4 tiny shrimp coated in what tasted like sawdust chips and went downhill from there.... My pork tenderloin was tasteless and overcooked to jerky texture. The risotto was swimming in butter and puddled at the top. The salmon tasted extremely fishy. The server was arrogant and sarcastic with all of us. We were not surprised to see the place not even half-full on a Saturday night as this place has not kept up and there are so many other solid restaurants (i.e. Margot) in Nashville to choose from now for good dining experiences!

1  Thank dtbPasadena_CA
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I used to eat here regularly when I worked on this side of town. The quaint restaurant is consistently good.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I've been to this restaurant a number of times over the past few years while entertaining visiting scholars to be interviewed or to give an invited lecture at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. It is intimate (if a bit crowded) and a little noisy for quiet conversation. But service is always prompt and attentive. All entrees that I have tried (usually lamb or duck, something I don't cook at home) have been excellent. I really can recommend them on virtually every aspect of upscale dining. But......why the "but"?

They pride themselves on their crab cakes, described as Fresh Lump....; I love crab cakes and am perhaps spoiled by having them in little restaurants in Maryland and other places around Chesapeake Bay. At Midtown finding a "lump" in the cake is futile. Fresh? Live blue crab is available daily at our Farmers Market in Nashville. I asked the waiter if that was where they got the crab. Er, No. What is fresh then? Never frozen was the reply. Not good enough for me and neither were the crab cakes. Made me wonder about the source of other items. So minus one star since truly fresh crab is available if they made the effort.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We had a wonderful lunch, beautifully prepared, in this small, well-decorated Midtown cafe. The artwork compliments the modern decor, and the food was truly inspired! They also got us in and out very quickly during a busy lunch period, knowing that we had a deadline to meet a flight at the airport. The wait staff is professional, not young students earning money part time. Treat yourself to a great meal, and you'll find yourself in the midst of a happening part of town. Don't miss the nearby Parthenon in Centennial Park.