“Interesting”

Rosebud Bistro
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I place to go for something different. The decorating was interesting and so was the food; the chef created some good dishes. But, some of it was just interesting. It's worth trying. they are only open after 5Pm and take reservations

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Our last night in Nashville was spent dining at Mambu, a pleasant departure from chain restaurants. Small and intimate, Mambu boast a modest menu that changes often, but this is not to diminish the quality of the choices offered. In addition, the owner/chef Anita goes above and beyond in trying to help people like my wife who suffer from gluten allergies. And our server was also extremely knowledgeable and helpful in our dining selections.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I made my reservation a month in advance, and when I arrived, they had lost it! Luckily, since I was one of the first people there for dinner on a weekend, I was able to be seated immediately and served. When I first arrived at the house, I was charmed by the small, faded, run-down home that the restuarant sits in. Then I noticed a sign out front, which read, "Firearms are prohibited--the only shots we allow are booze," or something to that effect. When entering, the whole place (I sat in the Trinket room but looked through the whole place) was tacky and faded--not as cool or eclectic as the ads had made it out to be. The bar area, on the other hand, looked pretty cool and hip, but I only saw that on my way to the restroom. The ladies room was full of moldy/hardened peeps candy (in the wrapper), board games, and other kitsch. It was gross and not clean, though, which detracted from the "vibe." I cannot see this place as being charming or intimate, and it is best for pals or solo diners. There were 4 other couples there when I was, but nobody looked overjoyed.

Okay, now on to the food/drinks. I had a 3 winds red wine and it was really tasty. I was pleased with the quality of it right off the bat. I also ordered the hummus appetizer, which was yummy and plenty for one person to eat. They had 3 types of hummus and pita type chips. The man who dropped the plate off did not identify the types of hummus, which annoyed me, but my server did when she surfaced again.

I ordered the duck for a main dish--and it was TERRIBLE. Very fatty and cooked poorly. I was really let down by the bad quality (for the $29 price). The portion was okay (not too big or too small) but the meat was a really low grade. The bread pudding that came with it tasted awesome though, but that was the best part. I really wished I had ordered something else. I had to force the food down my throat. I did not want to waste it because it was expensive, but may times, I took fatty bits out of my mouth because I could not swallow them. YUCK.

I tried the Italian wedding cake for dessert, and it was "okay." I think it was bland, but the cream cheese icing was pretty tasty.

Overall, the place lacked ambiance and the food was mostly poor quality. The wine was great, the service okay, (some servers were snarky/sarcastic) and the appetizer was yummy. If you go, don't expect much, and stick to the wine and apps. You will be much happier than if you order a pricey meal.

I've added some pics so you can see the food and decor for yourself. I went on a Groupon, which seemed to offer a good deal, but I regret buying it and going now. Save your money or stick to the safe items!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Quirky, fun, intimate restaurant with an outstanding bar with some home-made infused vodkas, xlnt bartender, dinner menu was imaginitive, delicious, and well-prepared. This tiny little restaurant is a real find!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Quirky setting. Server did a great job telling us about menu but we hardly saw him and our service was very slow. Food was okay. Place seemed out of date and dreary.