“Excellent Southern food”
Review of Cafe Monell’s

Cafe Monell’s
Ranked #256 of 2,109 Restaurants in Nashville
Description: Cafe Monell's is created as a small cafe serving southern food. The food is set up cafeteria style . Smaller tables and booths are available. If you are looking for our family style restaurants you will need to visit Monell's in Germantown in downtown Nashville or Monell's at the Manor located 6 miles from this location..
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This place has really excellent Southern food served cafeteria style. The line moves so fast that there is very little waiting and the food is nice and fresh. We had the Southern Fried Chicken, which was great, but the side dishes were even better - squash casserole, corn pudding, turnip greens, and green bean casserole. The seating is not family style, as some reviews have stated. You sit at your own table with your own food. The menu varies from day to day, so call ahead if you want something specific. There is a parking lot in back of the restaurant.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We ate Sunday lunch here while visiting Nashville. I've been to Nashville many times and eaten at many more southern style home cooking places across the south. I'm from GA and know good southern food. My fiance and I both at Meat & Two - fried chicken, pineapple casserole, corn casserole, potato casserole and green beans. The fried chicken was very greasy - so much so that the meat was sitting in grease when put on the plate. The crust tasted good but the meat was a little chewy. The sides were great but even the green beans were over done. The staff was very friendly and the sweet tea delicious. Price slightly high as Meat & Two places go.

2  Thank kbsunshine
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Great good but was left hungry in true family style fashion. We sat with other and food wasbpassed around as is the family style listing. But the family we sat with had already been there for some time and the offering were slim pickings at best. Plates were wisked away as if we were done yes left still hungry for the tasty meal. i wasnt sure if we could ask for more considering our table was being turned down and made ready for new guests...

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 6, 2014

If you want to enjoy Monell's famous fried chicken or other delicious "meat" without dining "family-style" with strangers, Cafe Monell is only a fifteen minute cab ride from downtown Nashville. We had the ribs and side dishes of corn pudding, mac and cheese, squash casserole, and green beans with a square of corn bread. All were uniquely delicious. The service is cafeteria style and the place settings are plastic, but the food and hospitable atmosphere fostered by Tim, the manager, and his crew made for an excellent dining experience and the total tab was under $25. It was very enjoyable.

2  Thank frankb582
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Not sure why this place gets all those glowing reviews, as I found the food here average at best.

Got here at around 5pm on a weekday. The place was nearly empty. This is a cafeteria style place, where you order your food, and sit anywhere. Like most other southern style places, you pick a meat, and then add side dishes. On a Monday, there were only about 4 choices of meats - fried chicken, meat loaf, chicken dumpling, and pulled pork, I believe.

The fried chicken were pre-cooked, and sat in a pile. I was curious how it compared to other fried chicken I had in the area, so I ordered it. It was warm at best, and a little soggy. It wasn't very tasty either. My wife had the meatloaf, and she thought it was decent. I also ordered cole slaw, which wasn't that good, and the cold cucumber salad, which was too sour for me.

For drinks, I ordered the fruit tea. It was a bit expensive at $3+, and no free refills.

On the plus side, the place was clean, and staff was friendly.