“Great rolls and sushi”

Kohana Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #1,082 of 2,137 Restaurants in Nashville
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I love the Kohana and the Alfredo Roll. A sushi restaurant Jackson, TN had the Alredo and one just like the Kohana roll. I just to wake up dreaming about them and now they are here! The food is great. Now I don't have to drive to Jackson to get my dream roll. Thank you for opening in Green Hills.

I do have to say the service the first time was questionable. The waitress did not understand English so when we asked questions or for drinks, she had to go to another waiter. He eventually serviced us that night. We have been back several times and he remembers us and is also very attentive.

Highly recommend you go and try this great restaurant. The food is great!

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I've spent about a third of my life in Japan, so when I get a "jones" for sushi I really want sushi. I was extremely excited to see a new sushi restaurant opening near my business office,
particularly after checking the reviews for Kohana in Hendersonville and Clarksville. My wife and I and a couple of friends went with great expectations.

We arrived the first time just after dinner hour opening, were greeted and seated by a friendly hostess. When we got up to look at the sushi bar, the sushi chef behind it couldn't be bothered to look up and greet us - not even make eye contact. We stood there awkwardly for a minute, then returned to the table.

We ordered age dashi tofu, which arrived in a huge mound of slightly-warm tofu with a dash - really, just a dash - of sauce. Nothing else on it. When we asked the waiter where the grated daikon the menu promised was, he checked with the chef, then came back to say "Chef says they've never, ever made it that way, he doesn't understand why it says that on the menu." The tofu was mealy, the sauce was forgettable, and without the grated vegetables, disappointing.
We ordered the gyoza, which were actually quite good - not fried to death like so many other restaurants. However, the gyoza sauce tasted like someone had thrown a batch of vinegar into a bowl, splashed a teaspoon of soy sauce, and forgotten any other ingredients.

We loved the beautiful picture menu of sushi rolls. One of our friends adores crab, and was excited to see that certain rolls specified "crabstick" (surimi - imitation crab), while another specified "snow crab." Since she is allergic to imitation crab, she happily ordered the roll made with "snow crab." Ordinarily, if a restaurant lists the two differently, we don't double check, but the prior two dishes made me nervous, so I asked the waiter whether it was in fact real snow crab. "Oh, no. ALL our crab is imitation crabstick."

What? Really?! With snow crab cheap enough that Denny's features it, you're substituting surimi?

I ordered ikura sushi, one of my personal tests of a good Japanese restaurant, along with seaweed salad. The salad was delicious. The ikura was embarrassingly bad. I would expect to see it at an all-you-can-eat sushi buffet.

Thinking perhaps a non-Japanese item would fare better, we ordered the calamari. Delicious.

I went back for lunch a few days later, and again asked about the crab, and was told the same thing. When I asked why the three menus at dinner and lunch differentiated between "snow crab" "crab stick" and "imitation crab", the waiter just shrugged.

If you want good Japanese food in Nashville, without the health complications of a corporate entity that cheaps out where it counts (and don't think their imitation crab rolls are inexpensive!), go to Miyako in Brentwood, or downtown to Koto, sometimes hit or miss but usually very good.
A huge disappointment to all four of us. I really don't think any restaurant that was awful twice can be recommended.

2  Thank krashtest d
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The ambience is lovely. Something you might find in LA, though not right in the city or immediate outlying areas - more like in Carpenteria or Azusa. Some dishes are lovely - the gyoza is wonderfully subtle, but served with a hot sauce (?!) instead of the traditional room temp slightly acidic sauce Shintomi did so beautifully. Other dishes not so much - the "Mermaid Salad", advertised as "a colorful display of diced tuna, albacore, avocado, cucumber, and smelt roe mixed in hot spices and Japanese mayonnaise" was not colorful and not much of a display, just a mishmash of cut up and mashed leftover bits that tasted, frankly, like old leftovers. The wait staff are attentive and honest - my wife is terribly allergic to surimi, or crabstick, and although the menu advertised both crabstick and "crab" and "snow crab" and "softshell crab", our waitress was brutally honest that "all our crab except the softshell is fake". Unfortunately, when I wrote to the owners about this, they kept assuring me anything labelled "snow crab" was in fact real snow crab. However, we went back this week and double-checked, not just with the waitress but with the manager and the chef. All assured us that if Miranda was allergic, she needed not to eat any crab except the softshell.
The ngiri sushi is okay, the rice it's made with cold, slightly hard and a little too chewy - I suspect prepared far in advance, then kept in the fridge. The calamari is delicious, as is the softshelled crab. The rolls are what you'd expect from a place that cares more about lighting than quality and reality.
Sorry to disappoint. I really wanted to like this. Ever since Shintomi lost its mind during the recession, lowering food quality and raising prices, Nashvillians have mourned its demise. My family still go to Miyako in Brentwood, and our favorite, Midori in Tusculum, when we want good sushi. This town could really use a restaurant like the original old Koto - limited menu, great quality. But I don't think it's going to happen.

2  Thank Kimbe M
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My companion's sushi looked and tasted terrific. My tempura was beautifully presented but very oily.

1  Thank artichokeannie
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Kohana is a Japanese / sushi restaurant that has recently opened in Green Hills. The menu is extensive and it takes a while to read over it. There is a bound booklet with pictures of some of the featured sushi rolls. Our waiter was young, friendly and knowledgable. We ordered the Amazing Grace roll, the Cowboy roll, and a spicy crawfish roll (that I can't remember the name of). All of the rolls were very good. I am new to sushi and am not as hard to please as some. My wife loves sushi and she really enjoyed the meal. We went at 5:30 on a Friday evening. The restaurant was busy but not crowded and there was no wait. We will go back!