“Wonderful evening!”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3rd & Demonbreun
Description: Located on the ground floor of the Pinnacle at Symphony Place in the heart of the burgeoning SoBro district, The Southern takes its guests on a culinary journey where every entree tells a story. The traditional yet eclectic eating house features a state-of-the-art, shuck-to-order oyster bar, a real wood-fired grill, a locally grown buying strategy, deliciously tender meats and direct sourced, guaranteed fresh, sustainable seafood. The menus at the southern combine indigenous flavors with exotic ingredients and offer an authentically southern adventure with a twist. The Southern will prove soon be to be known for its genuine hospitality and unmatched eats.
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We made reservations for 11 plus our 13 month old granddaughter to celebrate our youngest son's 21st birthday. The atmosphere is terrific--such a buzz! It is definitely loud in there, but our family is loud so we loved it! Our granddaughter was so entertained. The appetizers were great according to all who ate them. All 11 of us loved the entrees. My brisket was stellar, and the grits were so yummy. The service was just ok, but we so enjoyed our time there, it didn't matter. They have a patio that I would love to try in good weather. It is rather costly, so prepare yourself. We will definitely return!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,241)

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We were staying nearby and went for breakfast...loved the menu, attentive cheerful server...great food!! Biscuits of course, chicken and waffles, cheese grits and more. Delicious!!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I was in town for a meeting with several people in the same industry. Service was really good, enjoyed the food, but it was so loud we could only communicate with the people right next to you.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Went to the Southern Steak and Oyster at the recommendation of a friend. Raved about the Oysters and Steaks.... Oyster menu was supposed to be impressive... Well.. they have an impressive list, but only had 3 of the 12 types listed... not the end of the world.. ordered a dozen at $3.00 each (no real bargain).. and they were good. Manager came over to see how we liked them, and talked us into getting the "nudie suit" 5 week dry aged steak, custom cut, cooked to your specifications. You go up to the chef and he shows you "the beef". My friend picked the bone in.... weighing in at 26 oz.@$3.00 per oz. and I selected the one without the bone.. a modest 13.4 oz. @ $3.50/oz. (do the math) We both requested medium rare .. on the rare side... and returned to our table... in anticipation. Our meals arrived... our waitress (Courtney.. very nice), requested that we cut into our steaks to check them. The 1/2 a cow my friend ordered was cooked to perfection.... mine was medium to well. BUMMER... she insisted she take it back and I insisted she inform the chef not to rush the replacement steak. Nothing worse than a steak they try to cook too fast. In 2 minutes, she returned with a steak the chef told her to bring to me. First, it was a smaller cut than what I ordered (you have got to be kidding me).. and second it was cooked WELL DONE. Strike 2... and third it was someone's dinner other than mine.. oh well. She apologized and took it back. By now the manager came over, apologized, told us this was the 3rd "take back" on the expensive steaks that evening. By now, dinner was ruined. He insisted on bringing me a salad so I would not go home hungry. So much for getting a nice juicy steak for my birthday. I ended up paying $95.00 for a couple of drinks and a glass of wine and 6 oysters and left wanting a nice juicy grilled steak. I did taste my friends steak, and it was very good, but very pricey. Not planning on returning to this place in the near future.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

The Southern was true it's steakhouse name-the Bella Steak (filet) was awesome! It was cooked perfectly and paired well with the Black Stallion Cabernet. The service and ambiance were perfect for a night out with friends or a date night.$50/person at minimum with drinks.