“Yum, yum, yum!”
Review of The Southern

The Southern
Reserve with OpenTable
The Southern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 2,052 Restaurants in Nashville
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3rd & Demonbreun
Description: Located on the ground floor of the Pinnacle at Symphony Place in the heart of the burgeoning SoBro district, The Southern takes its guests on a culinary journey where every entree tells a story. The traditional yet eclectic eating house features a state-of-the-art, shuck-to-order oyster bar, a real wood-fired grill, a locally grown buying strategy, deliciously tender meats and direct sourced, guaranteed fresh, sustainable seafood. The menus at the southern combine indigenous flavors with exotic ingredients and offer an authentically southern adventure with a twist. The Southern will prove soon be to be known for its genuine hospitality and unmatched eats.
USA
“Yum, yum, yum!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I've been to The Southern numerous times...for both dinner and brunch. It can be a little on the pricey side for dinner, but the food is really quite good and it's BY FAR the best atmosphere for dinner downtown. I've had the Bless Your Heart Salad (which is great for veggie lovers), but the steak biscuits are my absolute favorite! I think they might be the same biscuits as Loveless Cafe.

This is one of the best spots in town for weekend brunch...I've taken family, friends, out of towners...it's great. the brunch is comparably priced to other brunches around town, and I think is a significantly better value proposition than dinner. I am obsessed with their fried egg sandwich. Chocolate banana pancakes aren't bad either.

Highly recommend! Espcially for brunch.

• Visited March 2013

Murfreesboro, Tennessee
“Atmosphere is great food was ok.”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We went there for a lunch with the office. I had high hopes for this place butI must say I wasn't that impressed with the food. Maybe it was what I chose, which was a fish sandwich. It was seriously disappointing. Not that great at all. Service that day, also sucked. But I'm sure it's because they were busy.
On a more positive note, desert was good and the atmosphere was great. I would probably give it another chance, but I think it has the potential to be better.

• Visited March 2013
Cleveland, OH
“Average”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We recently were a party of three on a Sunday night around 8:00 p.m.. We ordered one burger platter, 2 dozen oysters, the crab cake appetizer and the sesame shrimp appetizer. We each had one alcoholic drink (2 beers and a manhattan). The bill was $161.00 for average food. The service was ok, but the waiter was a bit pushy with his food opinions and frankly, annoying. The crab cakes were good, but not mind blowing, and the shrimp was just ordinary. It was a laid back place with good atmosphere but I would not return.

Maumee, Ohio
“Great Steak, but Oh So Crowded”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Caveat: This was a Friday night, on a warmer-than-Ohio spring evening, and we had no reservation. We had two recommendations now for The Southern, which is a fairly new restaurant on the Nashville Food Scene. We took our chances and upon arrival told the wait for a table would be over an hour, but we could try our luck waiting for two bar slots to open. Bar Baiting is a cut throat business at The Southern, as multiple couples hover over diners with a few bites to go. Luck would have it, as we went back to the front to see about options outside, a bar couple just got the call for a table and willed their seats to us. Two couples of bar baiters were foiled.
The scene at The Southern is loud and chaotic, but if red meat is your thing, and that night, it was ours, this is a top choice in Nashville. You can order off the menu, or take the Nudie selection, and follow your server to the kitchen to pick out your own select cut. I went that direction, and was not disappointed. The cut was 16 ounce bone in and prepared to perfection. I truly will have to wait another 6 months to order restaurant steak again, as this may be a difficult entree to match.
I would give a 5 on food, but the noise was almost deafening because of the layout and the size of the crowd. Definitely Nashville sleek crowd.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great ribs, but otherwise kind of strange”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We were in Nashville for four nights, and on our last night went to The Southern at a recommendation of a friend. We live in the Midwest, and have been trying to sample southern cuisine on our trip. Even though the restaurant was in a busy downtown area, it had complimentary valet parking, which was a real plus. The restaurant is exciting and vibrant with large windows looking out on a patio, and a busy bar and restaurant area with tables and many TV's displaying a different sport on each - giving more of a bar atmosphere than a serious restaurant feel.

The food has some positive and some negative aspects. My wife ordered one of their specialty drinks, which was kind of watered down and didn't have much alcohol. She also ordered an appetizer of Deviled Eggs - which she said were just OK. She wanted to sample something very southern, and ended up ordering the Brisket and Grits. She said the meat was tender, but the grits didn't add much to it. From across the table it looked like some pot roast in a bowl of cream of wheat. It came swimming in a brown sauce - which my wife said "had nothing good about it". She managed to rescue the meat - kind of like cleaning a duck after an oil spill - and ate that, skipping the cream of wheat, the mysterious greens swimming in it, and the brown sauce which was much too salty.

I ordered the Slab of Ribs with Slaw. It was an enormous slab of ribs, with a little barbecue sauce - but appeared a bit dry. The slaw was invisible (more about that in a minute) and it was covered with a heap of sweet potato fries. At first I thought the ribs might be a bit dry, since I am used to them being drowned in sauce - but actually they were sublime! The meat was moist and tender, but not watery or fatty. The meat was flavorful through and through and didn't need to be swimming in sauce to taste good. Some of the best ribs I've ever had!

But, the slaw... it was called something like "crispy slaw". It was the kind without any kind of mayo, but rather more like a vinaigrette - but very bitter. It was hidden under the slab of ribs - somebody's idea of a cute presentation, just like dumping the fries on top of the ribs. So, this created a situation where you had to slide the haystack of fries over one way to cut off a rib, but then lift up the slab to get at the under-slaw. Kind of like one of those puzzles where you slide the numbers around to put them in a certain order. But, this clever idea of putting the "crispy slaw" under a slab of steaming hot ribs had an unpredicted consequence -- it turned it into a hot, steamy, limp slaw. Combined with the fact that it was very bitter - made it pretty unenjoyable. The fries were OK. Nothing special. I asked our waiter for some ketchup - and he brought over two condiments. One was just regular Heinz ketchup, the other labeled Texas Ketchup. I put a little of each on my plate. The Texas one was -- well, if B.O. had a "flavor" - this is what I'd imagine it would taste like. I stuck with the Heinz!

The waiter, who was very pleasant and attentive, gave us a verbal presentation of their desserts. The Strawberry Shortcake sounded traditional and safe. But, he did warn us that they decided to dress it up with some balsamic syrup and basil. Well, OK, I thought. If their chef thinks that's a good idea I'm up for trying it. As it turns out, it was a nice buttermilk biscuit with a compote that also had rhubarb - more rhubarb than strawberries, some whipped cream, and a slight complex additional sweet flavor from the balsamic syrup. But, then there was this unexpected and unpleasant savory flavor from the basal leaves that they finely julienned and sprinkled all over the top. I managed to pick most of them off and put them off to the side. The waiter noticed this and recognized that the basil was not exactly a hit. I told him that the best part of the basil was that it made me appreciate the bites without any basil so much more!

And, then there was the bathroom sink. Again, somebody decided to be cute and have a sink that consisted of water pouring out over a countertop. No bowl. No visible drain. It must be slightly angled backward where it drains into a trough at the back of the counter. Aside from the fact that it takes a few moments to understand how this plumbing illusion is supposed to work, and get over the anxiety that it is going to splash on you as it hits the flat surface - it creates a permanent mess of water and soap all over the counter since it tends to sit there rather than all rinse away.

Dinner of one drink, one appetizer, two entrees, and one dessert cost $84.00 + tip.

So, would I go back? Yes I would go back for the ribs. They were that good. But, I think where this restaurant fails is when it tries to get cute and innovative in poorly thought out ways. Put the slaw and fries on separate plates. Get a normal sink. Don't mess with a tried and true recipe of strawberry sweetness by adding a savory flavor unless you really know what you're doing.