“What a fraud!”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3rd & Demonbreun
Description: Located on the ground floor of the Pinnacle at Symphony Place in the heart of the burgeoning SoBro district, The Southern takes its guests on a culinary journey where every entree tells a story. The traditional yet eclectic eating house features a state-of-the-art, shuck-to-order oyster bar, a real wood-fired grill, a locally grown buying strategy, deliciously tender meats and direct sourced, guaranteed fresh, sustainable seafood. The menus at the southern combine indigenous flavors with exotic ingredients and offer an authentically southern adventure with a twist. The Southern will prove soon be to be known for its genuine hospitality and unmatched eats.
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Okay so my wife made reservations for this place and she was so excited about it. She wanted to surprise me because I love oysters, so when we got there I was excited and ready to try this place for the first time (for both of us). We walked in and our first impression was this place looks really cool, has potential....but then it went all down hill from there.
The hostesses (and I have nothing against this profession) were very offputting and not very welcoming, and lets face it, you are a hostess earning minimum wage, you're not some high roller, so please, just be nice to folks and give a half smile at least....So we had a reservation and the hostess told us there were no tables so she took us to a table in the bar...next to the bus station where the bus boys would leave their dishes. My wife was like, I called and made a reservation, how could you not have a table? Then the hostess said well we can sit you in the back where walk-ins are seated, but there's nobody back there. My wife and I were just over it already by that point, so we said we'll just sit in the bar.
The next thing, the server came to the table and I asked him for an Oktoberfest Sam Adams beer. Two things wrong here: The sign when you walked in said Happy Hour till 6pm, it was only 5:45pm at the time of my ordering. First thing wrong: server said they don't do happy hours on Saturdays. Okay thats fine and no problem, but at least take the sign down. Second thing wrong: Oh, sorry, we don't have Oktoberbest even though its on our menu. Okay I said, just give me the $5 draft Coors Light or whatever I overpaid for. I'm not a stickler, but it was very annoying.
Then, the menus came...I couldn't believe my eyes for the prices. Look, I travel a lot, both domestically and internationaly and never complain paying high prices for quality food and ambiance. This, however, was a joke. You are a new restaurant and because you're downtown with a faux cool vibe you're trying to have going on they think their can justify their prices. The cheapest thing on the entree menu was a hamburger for $14. I actually ordered it and it was pretty good, but sure I'll pay your $14 but its just not justified whatsoever. Pretty much every item was way overpriced in my opinion, and I just kept shaking my head. My wife asked what their "Farm Fresh Veggie Plate" consisted of, servers response: Cous Cous, snap peas and asparagus for $18. Wow, really? Because cous cous can't be purchased from a box for $1.00 at a store and snap peas are really farm fresh these days? Next. Then the oysters....ah yes, one of my favorite eats. So I asked to see the oyster menu because you would think a place that has the actual word "oyster" in its name would be a place to get oysters. The oyster menu came and I had to ask the server explain the numbers presented because something didn't seem right. There were 4 types of oysters from different regions available. The cheapest dozen one is able to purchase is for $18. Then it went up from there for the other 3 types, I believe it was per dozen: $25, $35 and $40 per dozen...wow...I frequest Charleston often and even in the most expensive restauarnts there you can get amazing fresh oysters for like $14 per dozen. Not sure who this place thinks they are, but they're no oyster bar. In fact, my wife and I actually only saw 1 table, that's right 1 table the whole time we were there (1.5 hours) order a dozen oysters. Who would pay those prices? I could go to South Street close by and get an amazing dozen for probably half that price.....so, ranting over......I wish badly the place had met our expectations because an oyster bar with a Southern vibe is a great thing, just not working for this place. Buyer beware and hopefully management can make some changes because I would give them another try if they do. Cheers!

1  Thank oceanexpjs
Write a ReviewReviews (2,446)

Reviewed October 20, 2012

This restaurant, a block or two off tourist-heavy Broadway St., was a welcome surprise! Great atmosphere. And the chicken fried chicken was delicious!!! This Southerner will return to The Southern!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Food was pretty good. This place is great if you like cavernous, loud restaurants with tv's all over the place. Great place for sports enthusiasts. Salads, shrimp and grits are good. Burger is HUGE.
KItchen closes early, not sure why...

1  Thank lwood60712
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have been to this place several times since its convenient to my office.

The good:
-location
-nice bar/atmosphere
-awesome oysters

The mediocre:
-the steak was tough
-fries lacked seasoning
-gumbo was good the first time and way off (burnt roux?) the second time
-fresh catch salad and hot chicken salads were ok but not great

Parking and convenient downtown location make it a nice choice when in downtown Nashville.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I tried this restaurant because it had been recommended as being convenient to the Schermerhorn Symphony Center, which is directly across the street. It is open, with lots of windows and some booths line the walls with other seating in the center. Reservations are suggested just to be sure you get a seat when you want it, especially if you are on a time schedule or are going to a performance at the Schermerhorn. Our service was good at first but as more people came in it got slower. I actually had to Ask for my bill. The food was just "OK" in my opinion, at least the dishes that my spouse and I had. It is pricey also, so check your budget and perhaps their online menu before making your decision. Parking is in a garage next door, or they have valet parking available. Based on convenience to the Schermerhorn I rate this restaurant as an "A", but the menu is pricey, so it is an individual decision. It was crowded that evening so it appears that many people enjoy going there, either after work or before a performance.