“One of my FAVORITE places in Nashville.”

The Patterson House
Ranked #62 of 2,085 Restaurants in Nashville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2013

The Patterson House is an excellent restaurant. I have been there multiple times and it has been intimate and interesting every time. This is a lovely place to go on a date and a fun place to go with a group of friends. Whether you sit at the bar or in one of the comfortable booths, this restaurant delivers. For a fun evening out, I suggest the Patterson House.

The drinks here are unbeatable. They are creative and delicious. The food is also delicious. The restaurant is fairly pricey, but worth it for a fun night out.

The only downside is the restaurant's incredible speakeasy atmosphere also limits the number of people who can be in the restaurant at one time. There is often a long wait - but the front porch is a good place to sit when the weather is nice.

1  Thank Kathleen D
There are newer reviews for The Patterson House

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I live north of Nashville and have been to Patterson House numerous times. It's my favorite place to go when we head into the city for an evening out. I was surprised to see the negative reviews on here but I don't think those people really understand what Patterson House is so I felt compelled to review it as well.

It's a speakeasy. The curtain and the bookshelves are all part of the speakeasy theme where bars were hidden and secret back during prohibition. They have probably the best drinks I've had and the appetizers are tasty too, although the main focus, in my opinion, is not the food but the drinks. Food is a requirement in all Nashville bars...the liquor license requires that every place that serves alcohol also serve food. That's why you can get chicken fingers and french fries at every honky tonk on Broadway. Patterson House has fabulous nibbles though and my favorite are the olives. Mmmmm!

When you arrive at Patterson house unless you get there early be prepared to wait, but if you know this in advance it's easy to plan around. When you put your name on the list also ask them if you can leave your cell phone number. When your name comes up on the list they'll send you a text that your table is ready, allowing you to walk over to one of the restaurants on Demonbreun to grab something to eat or drink while you wait. When you return to Patterson House you're next on the list to be sat, even if they texted you 30 minutes earlier.

Once inside you're sat at a table. It's Patterson House policy for you to be sitting in a seat in order to get a drink. They want the cozy-hanging-out-with-friends atmosphere, not the cramped-no-place-to-sit, getting-hit-on atmosphere that's present in most other bars. The servers are great at keeping the water filled and recommending drinks if you're not sure what you want. You can also request something not on the menu. The menu changes seasonally, which is nice for people that go all the time. I ordered a drink I hated once and asked the server if there was anything the bartender could do to make it not have that horrible aftertaste that I was getting. He apologized and said that it was the type of alcohol in the drink that was leaving the aftertaste and there was nothing that could be done. He brought me a replacement drink and I wasn't charged for the first one.

If you're there early evening during the week it's a lot of fun to sit up at the bar instead of at a table. The bartenders are extremely talented and don't mind answering your questions if they're not busy. One of the best nights we had there we sat at the bar and asked questions about different types of liquors. The bartender poured us tasters of different ones and was extremely knowledgeable about all of them.

This isn't a t-shirt and flip-flops kind of bar. You don't have to pull out your suit or your little black dress just to go here either but definitely put on a nicer outfit if you're planning on going to Patterson House. I read an earlier review that the hostess couldn't tell them how long the wait was going to be. That's because people don't feel the need to eat quickly and leave here. We've gone here before and sat for several hours eating, drinking, and talking. You don't feel rushed here at all so the hostess can't really estimate how long until tables will clear out. Also, they really can't accommodate big groups here. I think their largest table only holds 6-7 people and there's no way to move tables around to squeeze people together. Be prepared to split up if you're a large group.

This is a great place to go for a laid back evening. If you like to be able to sit and talk to your friends in a bar then you'll like this. If you're looking for loud music and big crowds this isn't that kind of place.

7  Thank Mandi H
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We entered The Patterson House following a concert on a Thursday night. In less than 15 minutes our party of 4 was treated with more disrespect than any of us have ever encountered before. Our waitress was rude to us from the first moment of introduction. After waiting for our drinks for over 30 minutes and watching several tables seated after us receive theirs, we inquired with the bartender and host. Both individuals were unapologetic and extremely rude. Shame on you!!!!! We will not return!

1  Thank Dewight
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

We came here for drinks and an appetizer. The drinks were creative and fun. The bar scene was cool and we felt like we were hiding during the prohibition. Very cool place!! The deviled eggs and bourbon concoctions were great!

2  Thank mstarling
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This was the most unexpected late night food spot I have come across in a long time. I had arrived before midnight from NJ and was looking for a quick bite. I had no idea this place existed, but found it on Yelp and saw they were open late (i.e. 3AM). I walked in around midnight and was very positively surprised. The place adds a touch of mystery with a bar behind a heavy curtain. I walked in and couldn't believe the atmosphere. The ceiling-high bookshelves in the back, several booths around the room and the large bar area. It took a little while for the bartenders to acknowledge me (they seemed a bit "snooty" at first"), but eventually they warmed up a bit and took my order and checked on me. I just had the grilled cheese and a few beers but really enjoyed my little break after a very long day. Will definitely come back here again.