“A basic roof and a bed.”

Extended Stay America - Nashville - Vanderbilt
Ranked #96 of 157 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Sticky, buckling laminate wood floors. No shower curtain liner. Dusty dirty. Fridge has condensation leaking issues. The continental breakfast is an apple and packaged muffin. The coffee was gone by 8:30. Housekeeping walks in whenever. They apparently don't have an updated list of occupied rooms. Smells like dirty socks
Positives? Parking is free and easy. AC works well. Didn't trust using the kitchen or the cleanliness of the dishes or cups.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Tamsem1010

Reviewed October 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed there 9/26/13 for one night. When we checked in the person at the desk said our room (queen) had been given to someone else and she upgraded us to a king. When we arrived at home we have been charged for both rooms. We have called 2 -3 times and they say we were only charged for one room but our credit card shows we are paying for both rooms. They have been NO help in getting this straightened out. And the rooms are just marginally clean. Won't be staying in an Extended Stay America again. And in encourage you to look somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I booked the room through Expedia. Expedia charged my credit card immediately, however a week later when I got to the hotel there was no existing reservation under my name or confirmation number. After 45 minutes of calling Expedia, hotel managers, etc, I had our room. After calling Expedia the next day to ask about the miscommunication, we got a knock on our door for us to check out. Expedia had called them and cancelled our reservation for the 2nd day that we had Already paid for. What a joke. The room was DISGUSTING. It smelled of mildew, was damp, bathroom was filthy,& it gets worse. There was a piece of skin or a picked-off wort or callus just laying in the sheets. Obviously the sheets were neither washed not changed before we got there. Went downstairs to get new sheets and guess what?! No one is at the front desk after dark! I went downstairs for the continental breakfast...There was a basket of packaged muffins, rotting fruit, and coffee.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank ESG89
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Nashville - Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situation you described regarding the condition of your room and housekeeping is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are inspecting the rooms everyday and making sure they are up to standard. We are also eager to announce we are awaiting renovations to our hotel within the next few months. Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly, at NVB@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

So after a really bad experience at the Extended Stay America in Columbus Ga a week ago, I allowed them to "try" to make it right by offering me a room, on them of course, in Nashville, Tn. Yeah, right!! We got to the room and the door was open, all of the cabinet doors were open, the microwave was open and dirty, the refridgerator was nasty and had yucky food in it still. The wifi DID NOT WORK..So, when we told the attendant at the front desk, she said she was going to change our room, since I showed her pictures of what I was complaining about. Her jaw nearly hit the floor. We toured Nashville and came back to a different room, AFTER a long day of experiences and had to pack all of our stuff up and move to a room that really was not much better. There was black mold on the caulking of the shower and one of the beds was partially turned down with long thick black hairs on it...gross.I do know that after a certain time that the lobby doors do lock and you have to use your room card to open the doors. So needless to say I was EXTREMELY upset when I got locked out of the building at 6 in the morning because the card reader to open the door DID NOT WORK, and there was no attendant until 7 a.m.. So, after try #2..there is NO WAY I would EVER stay there again!

Room Tip: use a different hotel chain
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sunshine M
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Nashville - Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. The room as you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, I am going to work with our housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures and inspection policies.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at nvb@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Where do I start? The room was in poor shape, stained carpeting, mildew in bathroom, uncomfortable beds. For the money you pay a night I expected better. MAJOR problem is that there is NO ONE at the front desk from 11 pm to 7 am. We had a real emergency involving another guest and there was no one to help. Breakfast is a joke, a cup of coffee and a granola bar. We also suspect someone entered our room even though we put up the do not disturb sign. Stay away from this place. We have stayed at other Extended Stay locations and never had the problems we had at this branch. Only saving grace is that it's close to a beautiful park, restaurants and a short drive to downtown Nashville.

Room Tip: Anything other than the first floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Nashville - Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Please accept my apologies that our staff did not attend to your needs properly. While our front desk is manned from 7am - 11pm, we always have a staff member on property from 11pm - 7am who can be reached by the phone in the lobby. I will be speaking with the staff personally about the situation you described, and taking action as needed, especially since we take guests safety very seriously. As well, as this hotel's manager, I can assure you that our staff would not enter a guests room without permission or prior notice. It is important that we respect our guests privacy. Still, I am glad that you liked our hotel's location.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed here on business one night. It's a decent place for an overnight stay. Extended Stay is more of an apartment style living meant for long term. So you won't get maid service every night.

The room was clean and furnished with a full fridge, microwave, two burner stovetop, coffee pot, and a sink in the kitchenette area. It also had a nice table and chair in the room.

The bed however is very hard so don't expect a soft night's rest! The front desk was polite but didn't go above and beyond.

All in all a average night's stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Nashville - Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am glad to read that you were pleased with our kitchen facilities, but would like to apologize about the uncomfortable bed. Again we appreciate your review. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The rooms were oldish, but functional. The kitchen faucet was leaky. I found a hair on a towel the first time I walked into the bathroom. There is no business center or fitness center. The only thing they have is some vending machines and a laundromat.

My biggest pet peeve was the fact that I was on floor with smoking-free rooms, but somehow the hallway reeked soooo much that it still managed to seep into my room at times. Whyyyy?

And then there were the customer service experiences.
I filled out a survey after I left and this is what I wrote for them:

"Your staff needs to learn how to behave with guests. When a guest approaches the front desk, no matter how old or how young or how different or how normal that guest might seem, the receptionists need to get up from whatever they're doing (especially if it's watching a video on YouTube), approach the guest with a smile, and attend whatever that guest's needs might be. It's not ok to stay seated at the desk that's so far into the reception that the guest has to lean his/her body in order to even see the receptionist. It's not ok to turn around lazily to stare at the guest and say, "... yeah? ...do you need anything?" (of course I need something, or I wouldn't be here standing like an idiot! How about, "What can I help you with/do for you?"). It is not ok to amble or meander when attending a guest; you need to look like you're on top of things while helping the guest, not acting like you would rather be anywhere else, even if you would.

In addition, I would like to complain about the fact that the pamphlets I received when I checked in stated that there were safety deposit boxes or safes available for guests to use at the front desk. Why then, when I asked about them, was the receptionist's response, "We don't have any for guests"? She proceeded to offer to open the reception's safe and put my stuff in there. Sure, that way no one from the outside would have access to it, but even if you as employer vouch for the honesty of the staff, I have no assurances, and no reason to risk having ANYONE look through my stuff. I'm sure they wouldn't have done anything, but why would that even be an option in the first place? Where are the individual safes that were promised?

Next, why is it impossible to leave my luggage in storage for more than 2 hours? First you force me to check out by 11am, 12pm by the latest or I have to pay for another night, and then you say that I can't leave my luggage with you for more than a couple of hours. What if I have a flight in the evening? What if I want to go exploring Nashville for the last time before I leave? What if I don't have a car so I have nowhere else to leave my luggage? And why - why? - is it such a big deal when the storage used for the luggage is the same as where all the Christmas decorations are kept? I know, it's because if my luggage is there for more than two hours, your access to the Christmas tree will be hindered, God forbid.

Finally, this is something that's separate from customer service (for the most part). Why is there no ability to print/copy/fax? When I asked for a printer so I could print something off of my email account, I was asked to type my email and password into a keyboard that was handed to me without being able to see the screen. Once again, you might trust your employees but for all I know, I just typed my email and password into a Word document and someone just gained access to my personal information. As a hotel/extended stay apartments, especially in this day and age, it is necessary to have something available for guests. I can understand why this would be a harder issue to address, but I'm sure you could find room for a printer/copier/scanner and a computer next to the vending machines or even in your Christmas decoration storage room."

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank leyla212
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Nashville - Vanderbilt, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Hi there,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Please accept our apologies for the service experience you received. It is unacceptable that one of our Representatives would sit on the computer playing games or watching You Tube, never mind ask "What do you want". We are in the process of training new employees and will be sure to correct the items that you mentioned. We appreciate you letting us know our downfalls as it helps to make us better and to serve our guests in a more effective way. You will be happy to note that we will be undergoing renovations in November, therefore the hotel will not look so old.

Thank you again for posting your review. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other locations, in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at nvb@extendedstay.com to discuss this situation further. Thank you, again.