“nasty. smelly”

Extended Stay America - Nashville - Vanderbilt
Ranked #103 of 157 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We reserved our room through hotels.com, and when we checked in we had no problems.
We had to pay 4.99 for wifi, and we were only staying there for one night. It seemed a bit expensive, and you would think it would be included as a guest.
We checked into a double, NONsmoking room on the 3rd floor. Once we checked in, we took the elevator and the third floor reeked of cigarettes smoke. gross!
We were hoping it was just the hallway, we entered the room and it was disgusting.
The room smelled horrible as if someone was smoking in the bathroom. We were visiting for the Vanderbilt Medical Center, and as a medical patient I was not going to be subjected to a room with an unbearable smell. I was disappointed in the room too.
The sheets and pillows were yellow and dirty.
Everything seemed to be stained and uncomfortable.

We felt uncomfortable and dirty, so I requested a refund and the manager Kay was kind enough to refund me. We left with no issues, and went back to a hotel we stayed at the night before. It was a tad bit more expensive, but for the quality it was well worth it.
I will never think about staying here again.

I can see where the kitchen may seem convenient, but the smoke smell and the cleanliness were unsatisfactory.
They should be strict about the smoking policy.

Room Tip: dont stay in any room
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Remmyf
There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Nashville - Vanderbilt

Reviewed January 11, 2012

This room was okay on the grand scheme of things. We were there at a busy time and this was one of the only affordable rooms I could find. Biggest complaint was hairs I found on bathroom vanity, shower, and kitchen countertop. Yuck!!! Bed was checked and looked clean. We didn't spend much time there so it worked for our short stay. Rooms have kitchenettes with refrigerators, sinks, microwaves. Bedding is older as is TV. Bathroom is average.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My daughter goes to college in Nashville, and was missing some of her favorite home cooked meals. I decided to stay here because the room has a stove and I was able to cook her one of her favorite meals). The front desk staff was very nice, but the room was very "bare bones." I asked for double beds - I got two twin size beds. It felt like I was in a dorm room. All in all, it was good in a pinch. However, the next day I checked out and we had restaurant food the rest of the weekend. My daughter will just need to wait until she's home to have home-made meals.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with hardwood floors. The hotel allows pets (so you never know what could be embedded...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MsLilah
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Nothing especially remarkable about this hotel. The service was minimal but functional and the accomodations were fine. Kitchen was stocked with utensils, but not dish soap.

Location is decent, with food options walkably close.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank purplesuitcaseblues
Reviewed December 3, 2011

The room is very basic and barebone. The trash can in our room was not cleaned from the previous guest, if they can oversee something so basic while cleaning I can hardly imagine how dirty this room really is. Book another hotel, we almost left to go a better place.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 16, 2011

This place is like an apartment that has been vacated by a nasty resident. It smells bad, housekeeping only did a slight wipe at the bathroom and the room just looked unkept. The assistant Mgr. was hostle at best and not even the least bit kind. I give it a -5 on all counts.

Room Tip: Pick only places that have been reviewed by TripAdvisor or use an internet search to look for compla...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I tried to stay at this property for 17 days while I was visiting Vanderbilt University. They purport to be a good place for such longer stays, but I will never stay here again. The room was extremely noisy at night due to people in the room above me pacing back and forth stomping on the floor during all hours of the night. Also, when I simply walked quietly through the room, the water in a bottle sitting on the counter would register movement. When someone the any of the rooms adjacent to mine upstairs would walk (even quietly), the "art" on the wall would rattle. After a 2-week stay here, I was completely exhausted from lack of sleep and moved to a different location. This facility should NOT be marketed to anyone who is going to be in Nashville for work and needs to sleep at night. I tried to talk to the people at the front desk, and there seemed to be nothing they could do. The top floor of the property is a smoking floor, so if you do not want to be in a smoky environment, you have no choice to not have upstairs neighbors. The people at the front desk told me they talked to the people in the room above me several times (and I should add that the room above me changed occupants several times while I was staying there) but this seemed to make no difference at all. By the way, this property has a phone system where the phone numbers of the rooms are not linked to the room number, so there was no way for me to call the people in the room above me when they were keeping me awake. All the front desk people were able to do is to offer me to move me to a different room, but I couldn't see myself being there for an extended stay and having to move rooms every few nights after another sleepless night when new sleepless people moved in upstairs. I understand that the front desk people don't have many options. It seems to me that the construction of the building is just not amenable to quiet stays and I suspect that the lay-out of the rooms doesn't help - the layout is such that the one place you have to put you clothes is a rod and shelf on the wall (there is NO closet in the room) in the far corner of the room and so you end up walking back and forth in the room between the shelf and the bathroom or kitchenette. This property could use a good overhaul to enable soundproofing and make the rooms generally more comfortable. Maybe then you could also get a window that opens the way it is supposed to...

Having been sleep deprived for two 3-night stretches and turning into a sleep-walking robot when I had to work during the day, I checked out of this property early and went to another place just a few blocks down the street, closer to Vanderbilt, and that had free wifi, a coffee maker, microwave and fridge in the room. This place also had a front desk that was manned 24 hours and a complimentary shuttle to anywhere within a 3-mile radius. I wish someone had warned me about the Extended Stay!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business