“Worth the Wait”

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams
Ranked #1 of 58 Dessert in Nashville
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Description: We decided to open our first full-size scoop shop in Nashville in June, 2011 in the East Nashville neighborhood for many reasons, but mainly because the place reminded us so much of our scrappy roots. East Nashville, home to cyclists and pedestrians, families and urban farmers, artists and musicians of all stripes, and do-it-yourself bar and restaurant owners, is one of our favorites places in the country. Since we've been in East Nashville, we've been able to cultivate partnerships with folks such as Don Henry, who grows strawberries for us to make the perennial favorite Roasted Strawberry Buttermilk, as well as the good people at Yazoo Brewing Company, who supplies Yazoo Sue porter for the year-round ice cream Yazoo Sue with Rosemary Bar Nuts. There's a fantastic creative community and overall vibe throughout Nashville-especially in East Nashville.
Montgomery, Alabama
“Worth the Wait”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Let's start by saying they give you samples....and the it taste just like the name. The flavor is bold and more than pleasing. I had the Reisling and Pear......I wasn't expecting what I got. I was thinking okay...a wanna be pear sorbet...what I got was a holy crap roller coaster pear sorbet.....The line was so long but it moved quickly and with so many customers the staff was friendly!

Visited November 2012
2 Thank LivelkDying

dallas
“What a unique treat.”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Saved room after dinner for this unique treat. The staff was very patient with our group of 5 wanting to sample. Everyone loved there treat. A MUST for icecream lovers.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank deltaDallas
perth, west oz
“Delicious!!!!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Best ice-cream we've ever had! Freshly made waffle cones, I had 'sweet potato & torched marshmallow' plus 'pumpkin pie', my husband had the 'sweet potato' plus 'maple & walnut', THEN we took away a 'salty caramel with smoked almonds' sandwich!!! The girls serving were so helpful & happy, we loved the restored church pews for seating & better still, we were the only people there!

• Visited November 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
“worth the price”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have foodie friends who regularly curse me for introducing them to Jeni's, because it *is* pricey, and the parking *is* terrible, and the line does take forever because everyone in front of you has to sample something -- but it is really, really good. I have a friend who moved away who dreams about the Queen City Cayenne. I take the macaron ice cream sandwich (Earl Grey) to a friend as a gift. It is fun to sit there and watch the sundaes being assembled -- freshly whipped cream, unusual combinations (Thai peanut ice cream with other Thai flavors) -- and the space is big enough that it is good for dates as well as families. (The key to parking is to opt for street parking on Eastland or the side street that Portland Brew is located on. The problem with the lot is both that it's crowded and the hill at the entrance to the lower level is unevenly graded and unpaved, with loose gravel. The upside is that it is in the same mall as Wild Cow and Silly Goose, so you can make a really nice night of it with one stop.

• Visited February 2012
Austin
“Be prepared for unusual but good!”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is not typical ice cream, and thank goodness! The texture is beautifully creamy but not too heavy, and the flavor choices are interesting and wide-ranging. My daughter (age 8) enjoyed it just as much as me and her dad.

The flavors apparently change frequently at this small chain of shops, so I won't speak to the specifics there. What I did notice on our three different Jeni's trips in various locations (Ohio and Tennessee) is that there is a lack of overwhelming sweetness. I love this - the ice cream is sweet, but just enough sweet to accompany the amazing flavor, whether it be a traditional vanilla bean (with a twist sometimes), a lemon curd with lavender or a chili spiced chocolate. And yes, it's pricey, but I expect that when hitting up a place that specializes in unique and intriguing flavors.

As travelers, this was a great way to experience a bit of local interest in the region and enjoy the company of folks who live and work in the area. Much more fun than "yet another trip to a well-known chain" that happens all to often on long driving trips!

• Visited August 2012