WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University

Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University
Ranked #46 of 156 Hotels in Nashville
GREENVILLE
“Great stay but parking cost ridiculous!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

Enjoyed our one night stay. Requested view of vanderbilts Dudley field- saw football players conditioning in morning! Son loved it! Lobby & common areas great. Room clean & comfortable. Parking- valet & self park was way overpriced. We parked in holiday inn lot next door for free:)

Room Tip: Loved view of stadium but Parthenon view would be good too!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
1 Thank car0linagirl19

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

First off, I must qualify that by completing a survey after we returned, Marriott made good and refunded the difference of our one night stay.

However, we booked two rooms a year on advance at Marriott at $379 not including tax, parking, and Internet. I was shocked that when nearly everyone has free wi-fi, Marriott wanted $10 per day.

After we checked in, our friends noticed that the same room was now going for $219 on Expedia as well as those walking in the door. So because we had committed a year on advance, we were getting ripped off over $160 per day.

When we talked with the staff, they shrugged and said there was nothing they would do.

Fortunately the Holiday Inn, literally steps away WAS willing to take our reservations for the next three nights at that $199 including parking and wi-fi.

We cancelled our remaining nights with Marriott and left the next morning for Holiday Inn.

We were quite surprised how unconcerned the entire staff was. Either they didn't care or had no authority to change the price.

Not a great plan, as I posted about our issue on a CMAFest Facebook page and several thousand people were also told to not book with Marriott.

Just an FYI, this does NOT include Courtyard by Marriott, stayed with them three years ago and was treated great.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank IndyLovesItaly
Taylor H, Front Office Manager at Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with during us during the 2014 CMA Fest and I am happy we were able to take care of your initial billing issue. We hope that you will visit us again during the CMA Fest and please let me know if I can be of anymore assistance to you.

Thanks,

Taylor Hart
Front Office Manager
taylor.hart@whitelodging.com
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

The young woman at the front desk was lovely, quietly personable and very helpful. She made an effort to get us two beds instead of a king, even though online it said there were no more. She offered suggestions about what to do, based on my teen. She was unusual in that she was very service oriented, but natural and warm. It was noticeable and made a big impression on us. Looks like the hotel has had a fair amount of updating and lobby is beautiful and modern. A Starbucks right across from the elevators on the first floor makes mornings easy. The beds were fantastic, and I appreciated that there were two queens versus the usual doubles. The breakfast buffet was delicious, though not inexpensive at $30 a person. Lovely restaurant, but the service wasn't very good. Although many servers milling around, coffee never refilled until asked for, and then a long wait. Multiple servers trying to clear our plates when we were still eating. We were in and out in under 20 minutes.
In the room a few things: a small thing but the menu for breakfast room service on the hotel menu in room was less expensive then the menu for the breakfast order you hang on your front door - perhaps they just need to up date the in room menus?
The floor by our beds was really wet, so bad we had to put a towel on it. When we mentioned it to the front desk an engineer came to look at it and took a big discount off our room which was very thoughtful. Apparently it had been very recently cleaned and had not dried. (It was sopping wet...).
We did self service park at the parking lot out the back door, to me seemed expensive at $30 for an empty lot. Maybe normal for Nashville?
Sounds like I am complaining but I am not, those were small things. The beds were heaven, the location perfect for both visiting Vanderbilt and the Parathion, with the exception of the wait staff, all employees were actually exceptionally nice and helpful. The room was so comfortable we opted to stay in and read before dinner rather then heading out to explore as we had planned. Great view of Parathion right out window, lovely at night all lit up. I'd stay here every time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Location
2 Thank HappyCamperNorwalk
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Having stayed at this hotel in the past, I found the hospitality far superior during this visit - every one was friendly, helpful and kind. The room was excellent - facing the stadium - and every employee I encountered appeared happy to be of service. I enjoyed the little tasting event during happy hour - the salmon was delicious. I'm planning to book a longer visit next time. Everything appeared to be in great shape.

Room Tip: Choose one facing the football stadium, if possible. They are quieter and have a nice view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

I stayed here for a conference for four nights, and have not slept so well in ages. Two reasons for this: the bed is heaven and the rooms are soundproofed to the max. I was keeping some pretty weird hours so I was up early, up late, in my room during the day... and not once did I hear a sound from the hallway or adjoining rooms.

Location isn't ideal if you're in Nashville for the bars downtown (which I wasn't) and it doesn't have a free airport shuttle (but there is a shuttle from the airport you can pay for). The good news is the hotel has its own great shuttle bus service into downtown, which was awesome for a lone traveler who had never been to the city before. One night I took a wander down to the bars and they even picked me up afterwards! Brilliant. Plus the driver went completely out of his way to help me find Jack White's record store. Great service from those guys.

HOWEVER, the hotel charges for wi-fi. This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I mean c'mon, people, it's 2014. No hotel should charge for wi-fi in this day and age.

Iron in the room worked, the shower was decent, you could see the Parthenon from my window and there was a little fridge for beers (or... other stuff, I suppose) and the blackout curtains on the windows did their job. Staff were standard hotel friendly, always with a smile.

In summary, great hotel if you're at the university, but choose somewhere closer to the action if you're there for the downtown bars. OH! There is an awesome dive bar a stone's throw from here... the Springwater. Awesome little joint with pool tables and cheap, cold beer. Loved it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Ribbongirl
Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

We celebrated our 20th anniversary in Nashville over the 4th of July weekend. We chose this hotel due to the location was close to the downtown festivities. They have a shuttle to take you to and from downtown locations with very pleasant drivers. We had fantastic service from the moment we arrived. Kelly welcomed us at valet parking and the other guys took great care of us each day. Trey checked us in and made us feel welcome the remainder of our stay. He put us on the 9th floor overlooking Centennial Park and the Parthenon (lovely view).
Trey sent champagne to our room with a happy anniversary note. The next morning the ladies at the front desk helped me with a safety deposit box and found out we were celebrating our anniversary. We left to do some sightseeing and upon our return found a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries along with a note from Robbie wishing us a happy anniversary. Our stay there was perfect to celebrate our anniversary and we will definitely return. We highly recommend this hotel. The staff understands how to obtain repeat customers. Hats off to all the staff and thank you for all you did to make our stay memorable!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here this past weekend and we will not stay here again. While the rooms were nice they were not spectacular. I was expecting much more for the price of the room. Don't get a drink or two at the bar!!! There was a 23.5% tax! I thought there must be a mistake because in Tennessee there is a 9.25% tax. We asked and were told the extra was the hotel tax. We didn't have return visit to the bar after dinner. The self parking was $30/day and they had tax on that too!!! Ridiculous!!!!!!!

Stayed July 2014