“Dissatisfied”

Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University
Ranked #30 of 159 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed October 8, 2008

Dissatisfied. I have stayed at several top notch Marriott's. This, however, was far from top notch. The room seemed to be clean until my 14 month old daughter pulled something from beneath the bed and I discovered it to be a to go box with opened gatorade bottles. GROSS!!!!!! I repeatedly asked for clean linens and were told I would recieve them and never did. Also, where are the garbage bags???? I realize this hotel accomodates mainly business people, but with the exception, there are a few people who travel with their families abroad. There were no garbage bags in the trash cans and after putting my daughters diapers in there I wonder if the employees came back and sterilized those trash cans. I would dare to answer that with a no if they can't even clean under the bed. I don't expect very much but with cost of this room, I would have expected more. I have stayed in a hotel for $50 that was much more nicer than this.

Stayed: September 2008

Reviewed September 22, 2008

Stayed at the Marriot Vanderbilt for a work conference mid-September. After looking at the website I knew it wasn't a 5 star, and that it would be a hotel that 'did the job'. I was given a great room, all the way along the corridor that overlooked the football stadium - which was really great given there was a Vandy game on that w/end! Amazing view of the stadium and the bleechers. If you can get a room with a view for the w/end - do it!
The breakfast buffet was fairly basic - it's not a big hotel, so the guy in the kitchen was also the guy who was meant to make the waffles/eggs at the buffet - so I had a bit of a wait. The room was very clean and a decent size. I had to call housekeeping one day b/c it was 4pm & they still hadn't cleaned up my room.
I was prepared to pay for a few cab rides to go into town but was pleasantly surprised to find out the hotel has a free shuttle service for anywhere you want to go within a 2 mile radius - they drop you off, and you can call them to come and collect you (up until 11pm). The gym is clean and has extremely modern treadmills. The pool is also v.clean, but small, so don't go thinking you can do laps.
My only comment - there was a funny stench when you walked into the lobby, somewhat seweage'ish, not too bad, but there was definitely a lingering smell.
Would recommend this for a quick stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Stayed at the Mariott Vanderbilt for one Saturday night. We did not have a reservation but were able to get a room immediately. They give a 5 percent AAA discount too, which helps when all the taxes add up.

Our room faced the Vanderbilt football field, which was cool. Beds were comfy, bathroom roomy, everything clean.

Location is great -- try a salad a Calypso across West End or venture to PM Cafe for tasty Asian fare. Cabs were waiting out front if you needed them and they also have a "drunk bus" which will take guests around town within a two mile radius.

For $149/night, I was disappointed that you still had to pay for Internet. (This is not the case at the Courtyard by Marriot down the street.) Also, parking is expensive. The indoor pool looked okay and the fitness room is open 24 hours. Ample cardio equipment but no ab machines or mats to lay on the floor for stretching.

This property is nice but on the expensive side, if you ask me. It IS Nashville, after all.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2008

I was in Nashville on business in July, and was very pleased with my stay at the Marriott Nashville at Vanderbilt University hotel. The hotel was located next to the Vanderbilt campus and football stadium, and right across the street from the park and the replica of the Parthenon. The rooms were quite comfortable and very clean. I was also very happy with service at the hotel. While I was trying to get a taxi back to the airport, the hotel staffed informed me that an airport shuttle picks guests up from the back entrance every thirty minutes for only $12. The hotel also offers a guest van that is happy to drive and pick up guests from various destinations around Nashville. All in all I was very happy with my stay, and the Marriott Nashville would be my first choice next time I return to the city.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2008

We were so pleasantly surprised by the quality.....it was really great. The rooms are beautiful, we were given an end room as it was quiet that night and it was spacious. Beds are top notch...could not be better. But it was the food and the flexiblity of the chef, even for a late night carry out that wowed us. I said I liked a healthy approach to cooking and she created a veggie dish to go with my salmon sandwich which included asparagus, green beans and brocolli done in garlic and olive oil. This was instead of fries. And the salmon sandwich was unreal, made from scratch with the freshest salmon and on great wheat bread. I know this sounds like I am going crazy over simple things but try to get this quality and service with a great attitude and no extra money other places. They really were like this in every respect, even working on mapquest directions for different routes home. I will only stay there next time in town!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2008

My family stayed here a number of times while daughter was a student at Vanderbilt. The best thing about the hotel is its location. The hotel is attractive, rooms comfortable, but nothing special. Valet parking fee ($14) is steep. Service was good and the fitness center better than some. The rooms were always pricey for the amenities, but the rate for graduation was nearly $400 per night, 3-night minimum. We chose the Holiday Inn Select less than a block away for less than half the price, and were very pleased. Not as nice as the Marriott, as expected, but it served our purposes well.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed June 25, 2008

Overall the hotel is nice and has good location. The biggest problem is that you do not have an option to self-park. They know most people are going to have to park so why add another $19 a day to their bill. I am sure most people do not even realize this situation until they are already having to pay it.

Stayed: June 2008