“Marriot Vanderbilt "You are Awesome"”

Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University
Ranked #26 of 160 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed February 13, 2013

When you have to be away from home on business, finding a clean, friendly and customer service hotel is what I look hope for each and every time I have to stay away from my family. I don't know if the hotel cares but the reason we do what we do and leave our families is because of the job or career we have chosen and the hotel just happened to be a a place we have to laid our head for the timing being. When I checked into this hotel the first week of the two week I stayed there the front desk was ok, just a standard day, hears your card, told me if I ate in their resturant I could get 250 points, left for my room. The guy at the desk never acknowledge my Platinum Status, never asked me how would I like th 500 points I was suppose to get, never told me about the concierge level and gave me a regular key to my room. I get to my room on the 11 floor and found my room to be very clean, cool and somewhere I could laid my head for the next two weeks. I went down to have lunch and was not a big fan of the meal I had but no big deal, everyone has different taste buds. I'm very picky & have different taste any whoo. However, I just want to say after the day I checked in everything went smooth. The staff is friendly, they go out of their way to help you and they seem to never meet a stranger. This hotel made me feel like each day I was a part of their family from the resturant, the front desk and especially in the concierge. Gail is the most amazing person. She make you feel you are a part of her family and we would just sit and talk for hours and she never missed a beat or failed to take care of other customers who entered the room. She knows and remembers everyone name. Anyone who walked in Gail was up and helping that person and treating them like family too. If she even thought you needed something she was on it. Like I said I am a very picky eater and Gail can tell you. However, she never failed to make sure that each night when I left the concierge level that I had my bowl of grapes :-)! You know she did it for anyone, even if it just soup, hot tea and honey etc. I can't wait to go back! I just hate to not see this lady in my life when I not in Nashville. She would be a good friend. I also met the general manager and I am embarrassed to said I don't remember his name. I must said he is the type of general managers all hotels need. He can see a need before you do just to make your day a little lighter, brighter or so thankful he was around. Rainy days, cold days if he saw me with something he already asking can I take that, can I hold that, would you like, etc. Thank you so much for making my stay a home away from home such a pleasant one! That was the first time I had ever been to Nashville and people like that make it easier to return. P.S. I met so many patrons and just enjoyed sharing with them as well. Also, the second week a front desk clerk asked me about the points for platinum and gladly gave me my request!

Room Tip: get a room of the Concierge Level You gonna love Gail!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
JCarlos1207, Manager at Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for providing such outstanding feedback. I am very concerned about your Platinum benefit claim. Please contact Dan Willis - Director of Room Operations (daniel.willis@whitelodging.com) so that I may investigate this matter further!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Very clean and very convenient to Vanderbilt and the local bars and restaurants. Also cheap cab to heart of downtown. Nice rooms and updated. Slightly better rates than some other comparable or lesser properties in Nashville. Can get crushed on Nashville rates if not careful, but found this rate fair for the busy weekend we were there. Traveled with 2 kids.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It truly helps our team gauge where our opportunities lie. We sincerely appreciate your patronage!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We had a wonderful time on our first trip to Nashville for our anniversary last year. Though the property was nice, it wasn't remarkable. The staff was was warm, friendly, and helpful. The shuttle drivers were great with a wealth of information about all that is Nashville. The rooms were on the small side. As an elite member, I usually get an upgraded room. However, there was a ball game in town so the property was sold out for one night of our stay. The country bars on Lower Broadway are a must see. The local talent is as good as it gets, especially the Second Fiddle. There is plenty of great dining nearby. Vanderbilt University, immediately adjacent to the hotel, is beautiful. As it was the weekend, the concierge's lounge was closed. While most every other Marriott I've stayed with has provided a complimentary breakfast in the restaurant for Saturday and Sunday, they just offered a $9 buffet in lieu, which is standard there for platinum members. Go for Nashville, not the property.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We will continue to evaluate our Elite Member offerings and appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your patronage!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

it's somewhat pricey for a marriott but they take AAA so be sure to ask about a AAA rate. also, the AAA discounts vary depending on the hotel occupancy rate so if you call back, they will honor a lower rate if it applies. the location is great if you need to be at vandy. the service is top notch. the gym is pretty small but nice. free apples and bananas at the gym too. my favorite place to stay in nashville.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your experience and allowing us to evaluate our opportunities. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

The Marriott is a nice hotel with the perfect location for a Vanderbilt University visit. The staff was helpful and friendly. The shuttle service to nearby areas was helpful. Great restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. The football stadium is in the hotel's "backyard".

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for sharing such an outstanding review!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is an upscale hotel and therefore, meets the standards for cleanliness and service. The front desk staff is friendly and efficient. The lobby is large and open and connects to a nice restaurant/bar. The location is great! Adjacent to Vanderbilt Univ, a few blocks from Belmont Univ, across the street from Centennial Park and close to downtown Nashville. The area around the hotel offers a variety of dining and entertainment options. The hotel offers valet parking at a reasonable cost and the valet staff was friendly and sufficiently staffed to get cars in and out quickly.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and critique your experience!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Located in Nashville's West End, the hotel sits adjacent to Vanderbilt campus, across the street from Centennial Park. (I could see the Parthenon from the valet and Vanderbilt Stadium from my room!)

All the staff were great. The front desk and valet folks exuded friendly customer service and were always ready to assist. This particular property also operates a complimentary shuttle that carries guests anywhere within a two mile radius. One of the operators, Michael, was extremely helpful, recommending plenty of local restaurants with an exceptionally friendly demeanor. Hats off to the valet team.

The lobby and café were very well designed, clean and aesthetically appealing. The rooms were okay but not the best. You could tell they've had wear and tear but the hotel does what it can to maintain a positive guest experience. Most importantly, it was pretty quiet throughout my stay. (Although, I have to mention it was a Monday and I was travelling on business. I can't imagine what the place is like during Vandy football games!)

There is complimentary wi-fi in the room, provided you're a Marriott Rewards member. Guests who are not Rewards members are charged for internet, which can easily be charged to the room.

There are plenty of restaurant choices - both chains and local fare - near the hotel, so you're definitely not limited in any way. I didn't get a chance to see the workout room or the pool, but from what others have written, I wouldn't expect much. I did, however, see plenty of runners in the park and around campus.

Overall, I'd definitely stay here again and would recommend it to friends. There are a couple of other choices right around there (Holiday Inn, Lowe's, and a couple of others) but the Marriott proves an excellent value.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor overlooking Centennial Park or overlooking Vandy stadium.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Justin B

Thank you for ensuring our prospective guests are informed of your experience. It is greatly appreciated!