“Level of service varies”

Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University
Ranked #29 of 159 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I have stayed at this property for years and everyday there I do not know what level of service to expect. Some things are fixed immediately and other not. For example, when I checked out last month I made the staff aware of a plumbing issue in my room. When reassigned the same room this month, the problem has not been fixed. Sometimes it feels like the front desk staff just says "yes" to get you to go away. The drivers for the shuttle are also variable. They drive within the 2 miles to common sites. I asked to be picked up from a certain address 1 mile away and was ignored for over 1 hour. When I called back, the driver stated he did not know where the address was and was not coming. The lobby renovation does not bother me as much as it seems to others since all things need updating from time to time. They make it clear on their website. This is mostly a business hotel during the week and family/party on the weekends. The website also states 2 doubles or 1 king per room. There should be no surprise that there are not 2 queens. Parking is valet at the front of the hotel or you must drive around to the garage behind the hotel for self-parking. I have heard that they are going to all-valet soon though. If you need to be near Vandy, this is a good place to base out of.

Room Tip: The rooms near the gym/pool on the 3rd floor have the potential to hear the noise from those ameniti...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
steve s, General Manager at Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

I'm sorry to hear about the level of service. It should not vary. Yes, we are going to Valet only. Like most downtown hotels we don't own a parking garage and to provide better service we recommend Valet at the front door. Please contact us directly to give us details on your stay.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We were extremely pleased with our stay at Marriott at Vanderbilt.
The entire staff is extremely helpful, especially the front desk.
Our room ovelooked Centennial Park and the Parthenon.
The shuttle is a great service for getting around short distances.
We highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you can get a room that faces The Parthenon, then you are in for a real treat!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Jess J, Director of Sales at Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful comments. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. We truly appreciate your business and hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

The hotel is outside the center of Nashville but hotel provides Shuttle. It is across from a great park. The staff were really nice but hotel was undergoing renovations so bar and restaurant were old function rooms and looked like not decorated since 80's.

I would check if renovations finished before staying there. Also if you are there for a short burst on downtown Nashville it is not for you. Too far outside the bars, country music stuff.

Room Tip: Get one with view of park or football field
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
steve s, General Manager at Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Thank you for choosing Marriott and staying with us. Yes, we have finished the Renovation in the lobby. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Nashville is one of my favorite places to visit but I will never stay here again. There was a total of six of us staying so we decided to book two rooms. If anyone plans on staying here make sure you know they charge you for the room before you even see it. Every other hotel charges you when you check out but not here and when you bring it up they tell you, you should know because all hotels do this when they clearly don't. I made a point to say we normally stay at The Hutton and they never do this. They even charge you damage fees and after you check out they will reimburse you but it takes a few days. We went from Wednesday, April 11, 2012- Sunday, April 15, 2011, it would of been nice to know about being charged before you check in when we booked the rooms because no one had money in their bank accounts until they got paid on that friday yet the guy who checked us in ran the debit/credit card before telling us any of this leaving the card holder with negative money in their account. We would of liked to change it to a credit card if he told us before he ran it and that was only for one room. We argued with him for doing that and yet they would not help in anyway. All he would say was "Well at least you know you have one room". A simple apology would of made the worlds difference or even offering something would of changed this post completely around. When we booked the hotel it was over the phone and the lady we talked to never said anything. From a PR standpoint they need to better communicate how they conduct business. They do not even explain that the price on your confirmation is different than what you check in because of damage fees. They just wait for you to ask why the price is different. I know this whole thing is a common problem they have because multiple times while walking through the lobby I heard people complaining about being charged before hand.

Next, their parking is screwed up. The parking garage connected to the hotel is not even for the hotel but when getting there you have to drive through that garage and then leave it in order to get to the next parking garage which is theirs. They tell you parking gets added on to your hotel bill but the machine to swipe your card doesn't work so you have to pay the attendant every time you leave the garage and then at the end of the stay the hotel tries to charge you for using the garage even though you already pay every time you leave. The attendants at the garage even said they have no idea what is going on with the parking and everything is messed up.

Then there are the rooms, the rooms are nice except they are not consistent. One of our rooms had a fridge and one did not. The toilets will barely flush, you have to hold it down forever and the paint is chipping all over the ceiling in the bathroom.

I will never ever stay here again and will never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JamiJ_12
steve s, General Manager at Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

Sorry to hear about your stay with us. We apologize for not handling it correctly. Credit and Debit cards are processed differently. Please contact us directly so we can make sure you were charged correctly.

Steve Sines, 615 340 5120

Reviewed April 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a couple of days around the New Year holiday. The staff was incredibly hospitable throughout the length of our stay, the rooms were extremely clean, and noise was never an issue. We also took advantage of the free shuttle. We were very happy with our visit and would recommend it to anyone looking for a hotel in the West End/Vandy area of Nashville.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and giving us your feedback. Please visit us again and check out our new lobby and restaurant. I will pass this on to our Van Drivers, they love hearing how much they can affect a guest stay.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Although this hotel is in a great location, we were very disappointed by the room and amenities.
I stayed here with my daughter and we hoped to get 2 queen sized beds but all that was offered was either a King or 2 double beds. I should have known this meant a small room. We were able to hear every door that opened or closed in our hallway. I was awakened every morning at 6 am by loud closing doors. I expect this at a cheap hotel, but not for over $200 per night! Also, wi-fi costs were $10 for each use, not just per day, but each time you signed on. Ridiculous! I was unaware that there was no parking lot, so even self-parking cost $23 per night. And my biggest complaint, no refrigerator in the room. I had to toss out my milk and yogurt I had brought with me.I will not stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Sorry to hear about your stay. Please contact us directly so we can learn more about the confusion on your room type and WiFi. Please contact us directly at 615 321 1300.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

My friends and I stayed at this property for the CMA Fest last year. The hotel was clean and very accommodating. The hotel staff was wonderful. The front desk greeted you as you came and went, assisted you with directions and dining recommendations. It is a quick cab ride to Music Row and they also have a great shuttle service.
The staff displayed excellent customer service, which can be hard to find these days.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank mdluvs2shop

Thank you for staying with us. You are correct in that we do have a great staff and they love to engage guest to help make an experience. Hope to see you soon.