“Frist Center for the Visual Arts -- Rembrandt and the Dutch Golden Age”

Frist Center for Visual Arts
Ranked #26 of 260 things to do in Nashville
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Since opening in 2001, the Frist Center for Visual Arts has hosted a spectacular array of art from around the world. Not only an important cultural focal point for the city of Nashville, it is also a significant architectural structure, occupying one of Nashville’s great historic landmarks, the former main post office. Constructed from 1933 to 1934 under the direction of the local architectural firm of Marr & Holman, it displays both of the most distinctive architectural styles of the period: Classicism and Art Deco.
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Great display! Glorious pieces. Knowledgeable tour guide.

My wife and I spent a rainy, cold Sunday afternoon there March 24, 2013. We were attracted by the large intriguing piece we had seen on the back of the property as we walked from the Union Station hotel to the Bridgestone Arena.

Sunday hours 1 to 5:30, Cafe opens at noon.
Important note ... all of the signs make the hours known, what they don't tell you is where the cafe is. The entrance for the cafe is in the back.

Take the guided tour!! Last about 45 minutes, doesn't cost anything --- admission to the museum for non-members was $10 / adult --- and offered up lots of insight we wouldn't have picked up by using just the audio tour player. Tour started at 1:30pm. Not sure if they offered more than the one tour during the day Sunday.

Upstairs was the John Bourne Collection that contained a large amount of very cool Mayan and other indigenous South American artifacts. Take the time to go up and view it while your there --- runs thru until June 23rd, 2013.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

This just my opinion, but I felt like this was just another wealthy political family doing something for a tax credit and to bring attention to themselves.

1  Thank Rev Dr Rick D
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We have been making the 2-hr drive to this museum once or twice a year since it first opened. They don’t seem to have a permanent collection, but they have a variety of temporary/traveling exhibits and these are often of a very high caliber (we have seen some great Ancient Egyptian exhibits as well as many major exhibits of Old Masters paintings). It is also worth a visit just to see the architecture (Art Deco/Classicism) of this historic former post office (they also offer architecture tours the first Saturday of every month but we usually visit on a weekday so we haven’t been on this tour). Also, checkout the gorgeous historic train station next-door (now a hotel). When my kids were younger, they loved the hands-on art area here where they experimented with block printing and other techniques. Their artwork was scanned into the computer and they were given a card to bring with them on future visits to add to their art file. (They also took home the actual artwork). We just saw the huge exhibit: Rembrandt and the Dutch Golden Age: Highlights from the Detroit Institute of Art, as well as an Ancient American Art exhibit. Kids 18 and under are free at the Frist. $10 for adults. Nice parking lot right next to the museum (get your ticket validated in the museum for a discount). There is a café with good sandwiches and desserts. Unfortunately, no photography is allowed in the galleries.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I visit Nashville quite frequently, and I have never encountered anyone as rude as one of the female staffers at the Frist Center. In fact, I can't think of any negative experience at any other place in Nashville- just this one. The lady was rude and condescending when we tried to ask questions about their policies, and then she just flat out lied to us. When I questioned her about the lie, she quickly tried to cover it up by changing the subject. There are lots of places in Nashville to visit, but this one is a waste of time. I would rather go anywhere else.

3  Thank Leslie M
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I wandered into this location and really was surprised as to what it had to offer. Considering it was free, I was impressed with the art they had on display. If you have kids, go upstairs to the interactive children's art area. I was blown away by what I saw up there. It was a great environment to promote creativity and teach kids about the nuances of fine art. It was a very impressive area.