“Pleasantly Surprised!”

Ranked #27 of 253 things to do in Nashville
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Since opening in 2001, the Frist Center for Visual Arts has hosted a spectacular array of art from around the world. Not only an important cultural focal point for the city of Nashville, it is also a significant architectural structure, occupying one of Nashville’s great historic landmarks, the former main post office. Constructed from 1933 to 1934 under the direction of the local architectural firm of Marr & Holman, it displays both of the most distinctive architectural styles of the period: Classicism and Art Deco.
Reviewed February 20, 2008

I like art galleries/museums, but don't love them. My sister-in-law was in town and wanted to get a little "culture", so we decided to go to the Frist Center.

First, I will say that it was very easy to find, which is really helpful in an unfamiliar city (we're all from NY, and had just moved a few weeks before). Parking was easy, and inexpensive ($3 or so, i believe).

Upon entering, we discovered that the Frist gives discounts for students, military service members, and seniors. It also gives groups discounts, and people under 18 are free.

Based on my visit and the quality of art when I went, I would definitely recommend visiting and will visit again, myself.

When you are there, look at the floors. :)

*************
Exhibits when I visited:
The gallery had a showing called "Monet to Dali". It was wonderful! I didn't really have high expectations since it was my first visit, and was very impressed at the work in the gallery (Renior, Picasso, Van Gogh, etc). The way the rooms were set up was wonderful, and they flowed easily from period to period.

There was another exhibit called "Eros and Thantos" by Angelo Filomeno. These were unique crafted embroidery pieces, and the artist was there to talk about them!

2  Thank rachel128
There are newer reviews for Frist Center for Visual Arts

Reviewed January 13, 2007

The Frist was great! I got a student discount with my college ID, and a basic adult rate.

The Frist is an ART GALLERY, not a MUSEUM. They have three exhibits - two rotating, and the third is a hands on exhibit that is fun for kids and adults alone.

The building is amazing. It used to be the city post office, and is now maintained as the gallery. It's black and silver art deco decor left us amazed.

We headed into the awesome pop art exhibit first, which is a travelling exhibit by the Whitney. I'm quite an art lover - so I was absolutely giddy to see art work by Lichenstein, Warhol, Man Ray, Oldenburg and more. It was a fun, interesting and awesome exhibit that everyone can enjoy. I also got to watch a great film about Cluase Oldenburg that was fascinating!

Upstairs was an exhibit hosted by Tiffany & Company, featuring jewelery from all types of time periods. From Ancient Egypt all the way up to Art deco pieces. We really didn't have interest in it, but the exhibit had pretty jewerly and was quite popular.

We also checked out the interactive exhibit for kids/adults. It allows you to explore different types of art work based on the main exhibit downstairs. So we made pop art - photos, sculptures, screen printing and wood blocks. It was very fun and kids were going nuts - they also allow the kids to exhibit their own art.

The gift shop was nice, and they had a restaurant but we didnt' check it out.

Great stop for TRUE art lovers!!

2  Thank iyamsarah
Reviewed October 3, 2006

Went to the Egyptian exhibit with 2 adults and 2 children (which were free). We could have spent all day in there if our feet would have let us! Not many places to sit down is my only complaint. Once you enter the exhibit area, you seemed to be "trapped" until you were done. I didn't see a restroom or anything until we came out at the other end. Maybe I missed them.

But, as far as quality, the items on disply (on loan from Cairo) were as good as some I had seen in other places around the world. If you are an Egypt fan, this is a MUST see before it leaves. I have driven through Nashville for at least 20 years on my way to somewhere else and had never stopped in this area before. Shame on me! It seemed very clean, very safe. Would love to go back. Did not have time to see the jewelry that was also on display.

2  Thank quiltingtravelmom
Reviewed August 15, 2006

We were a little disappointed in this mainly because the kid's didn't allow us to see it all
We bought the basic adult ticket (there was a special exhibit that cost much more). This ticket allowed us in the exhibit of pulitzer prize winning photos, which was too graphic for children
They had an interactive family space but our kids (aged 3, 8&9) which allowed them to some art while my husband and I took turns to see the exhibit.
The exhibit was really wonderful but our kid's wanted to leave before we both got a chance to see.

1  Thank familywith3boys
Reviewed June 17, 2006

Went to the Egyptian exhibition. It was good but very short. Has an audio tape tour that tells you about the history of the artifacts. It's $17 which for what you get is a little too expensive. Not sure I would go again.