“Cute hipster place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Silly Goose - CLOSED

The Silly Goose
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Charleston, South Carolina
“Cute hipster place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I loved this cute little hipster restaurant. It's a little outside of the downtown area, but not too far by car and there is a parking lot. It's a little hidden in the back of the strip mall type building, but once we found it, we were happy. The service was a bit slow, but the food was really excellent. They have a variety of sandwiches and couscous dishes, which is unexpected, but totally yummy. I would definitely recommend this as something different than what you'd expect to get in Nashville.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank amethyst198

Franklin, Tennessee
“Overrated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

I was so excited about going here....tons of reviews with nothing but praise. I was so disappointed. The location and parking are not the best. The service was not good. The waitress babbled about herself and "forgot" to bring our first round of drinks well into our appetizers. The portions are a total joke. Even the drinking mugs....almost Dixie cup-sized. THEY DO NOT SERVE BEER OR SODA, although you can bring your own wine if you wish. I ordered the Zipper and King Kong Couscous. Very good. The others got the fish and chicken dishes (which were regular dinner dishes, but I cannot remember. Also good.

The desserts were awful. The rhubarb cheesecake had all sorts of things thrown on it....a tart mango sauce and other things that all 4 of us just found to taste funky and "off". They were out of the lemon cake, so she highly recommended their date (the fruit) cake. It looked again to be a sample-size (TINY)when it arrived and it also tasted funky and foul also....and this again the opinion of 4 people. I went home and had some candy because I felt like I didn't get dessert-deprived. Later found our friends dining with us that night did also.

One last important thing.....this place seats 30. If you don't get there between 5-6p on a weekend night.....you will wait a long time. We got there at 6p, and our wait was "only" 30 minutes. While eating I heard the waiting times as much as an hour and a half.

After our meal, we were talking and the hostess came to our table and asked, "We have 14 parties that are waiting to be seated.....if you don't mind....." Asked us to leave. I guess they do advertise they need people to move in and move on out, but still. Leaves a bad taste (pun intended;) in my mouth. Add more seating, don't ask people to hurry up and get out.

Tiny portions, bad service, limited seating, awful desserts (HOW does one mess up dessert so bad??!!) rushed to leave.....will not go back again.

Reservations taken for parties of 6 or more.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ann D
“Great food not so nice experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

The food is really good. I have never had a main dish where there were so many taste experiences. Each bite was a different combination of the beef, veggies, herbs, cheese and spices.

The place is VERY loud. Painfully loud. You can barely hear the person sitting across from you. The chairs are painful to sit in - very small and the back comes in at weird angle so you can only sit on the very edge even if you have tiny hips. The server was helpful and attentive when we first arrived but got more remote the longer we were there. I wonder if that was on purpose to push us out the door to get the table freed up faster.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank zimrin
Kingsport, Tennessee
“Wonderful meal!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

The food was great- there were 6 of us and we all sampled each other's food and it was all good! Fresh food, and ingredients- a surprisingly wonderful place to eat. Get there early, not much seating inside but if the weather is nice you can eat at the patio to the side of the restaurant.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank MGUINN08
nashville
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

So it's been a while since I've tried any restaurants in East Nashville beyond Margot's, but last night 6 of my gal pals and I hit Silly Goose. The service was great especially in light of the fact that my gal pals were 20 minutes late! I loved the menu choices and reasonable wine options. Was not wild about the big bench and the music overhead could be turned down a bit, but otherwise I will be back! I had their flat iron steak. Yum! But they had several vegetarian options, fish, etc.