“Last Minute Choice for the Night”

General Jackson Showboat
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The General Jackson(R) is a unique 300-ft paddle wheel showboat that cruises the Cumberland River w/ views of the Nashville skyline. Enjoy live entertainment along with a delicious meal and a cruise that you can't get anywhere else. Holiday shows begin mid-November, and special event cruises are scheduled throughout the year, including Valentine's Day, Fourth of July and New Year's Eve. Docking is located on the banks of the Cumberland River on the back side of Opry Mills Mall.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We decided around 4:00, after checking in at Gaylord Opryland, to do the General Jackson, that night. So, we didn't have a great view of the stage. BUT, we had the perfect spot to enjoy a meal, and we were close to the exit doors to see downtown Nashville. The dinner was very good. The eye of round, very tender. Salad and sides were as good as salad, garlic mashed potatoes, and green beans can be. Take into consideration, they have to please the masses, and you'll find probably the majority of people leave the table happy. Cheesecake was yummy. You have three servers for your table, two of ours were great. The other, a little less excited to be there. Scotty, was exceptional. The good thing about having one of the back tables for dinner, is as long as there are no private parties in the balcony, you can slide up to the balcony for the show. So, we ended up with great seats for it, too. All, in all, it was a great night, and we had lots of fun. The Opryland Hotel complimentary motorcoach and our kind, hospitable driver, were waiting for us as soon as we got off the boat. I've done the General Jackson 4, or 5 times since it originally opened, and found this time to be one of the best.

1  Thank NSVKAT
Write a ReviewReviews (1,265)
All reviews
"show starts"
"high energy"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed March 28, 2013

while in nashville we decided to do our first evening dinner cruise on board the general jackson and it was well worth the money and time. the dinner was TERRIFIC!!! it was a 3 course dinner. along with A VERY UNFORGETTABLE SHOW ON BOARD THE GENERAL JACKSON-
THE COUNTRY MUSIC USA SHOW. THE people performing are TOP NOTCH and professional and hope to see all of them break out one day and have their own music careers and have a record deal. i really would love to see each and every one of them go on to land record deals.

I woud LOVE TO SEE THEM PERFORM AGAIN! I WOULD PAY AGAIN AND AGAIN TO SEE THEM PERFORM! next time They have The Country Music USA Show on board The General Jackson. I HIGHLY RECCOMMEND YOU GO SEE THE COUNTRY MUSIC USA SHOW!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have been on and taken friends on"The General" many times for lunch and dinner and will continue to bring more. It's just good fun!
They also have breakfast cruses. But plan on being there early.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

An announcement that the river was too high to get us all the way for the best views was clearly explained at the beginning. When we were summoned into the theatre for dinner (5 min after we boarded), we were promised that we would be able to view the city (perhaps at a bit of a distance) between dinner and the show. Dinner was a huge dissapointment. The roast beef was barely recognizable as beef and had no flavor (overcooked). The rest of the meal was only average. The timing of the courses was terrible leaving us waiting and extending the meal considerably. When I had finished my meal, I went to the ladies room to freshen up before enjoying some views from the deck (the views I was promised at the beginning), and while I was washing my hands I hear the announcement to come inside the theatre for the show. Puzzled, I went onto the deck. I was dissapointed to see that the city was 20 minutes or so behind us and we were returning to dock. No views...not even partial or distant views of the city were to be had. I mentioned this to someone on the deck who worked aboard the boat. He said my server should have told me that it was time to interrupt the meal and go out for the city views. He told me he would relay my dissapointment. They stopped my mother who was with me later and told her that someone wanted to talk to us after the show about our bad experience. After the show nooone approached us and we had to finally leave to catch our bus back to the hotel.

The show was nice giving a historical perspective on Tennessee music. That was the only highlight of the evening (that at the lovely picture of my mother and myself taken upon boarding). At $90 I wouldn't expect all aspects to be extraordinary, but I would expect at least average to a bit above average on all three key points (dinner, cruise, & show).

My guess is that since the captain could not bring the boat as far up the river as normal due to the high water table that the cruise was quite shorter and through all the timing off (we were docked 10 minutes or more before the show ended). The captain could have adjusted or the staff could have done a better job ensuring each guest knew it was time to enjoy the sites. Either way, they should take some points to improve if they are going to expect $90 a ticket.

I sat in the last row of the balcony and found the entire theatre quite nice. There is much potential here, but the execution and the food was a big dissapointment. I may have caught them on a bad night????? Perhaps????

2  Thank Tina B