“A wonderful surprise”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Nashville Airport
Ranked #85 of 159 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed June 23, 2009

This hotel is a wonderful surprise. A great rate on the web with an excellent location. The room is clean, the beds are comfortable (and sturdy) and the complimentary hot breakfast is better than most. I like the fact that the room has a widescreen TV with HD channels, including the local news. Also, wireless internet is provided for free.

The hotel is easily accessible off I-40. There is a Kmart just a block away and multiple dining options within a mile. They offer an airport shuttle, though we did not need to use it. Downtown is just 6 miles to the west.

There is quite a bit of road noise, as the hotel is nestled in the elbow of a busy intersection (Donelson Pike and I-40), though despite the proximity to the airport, I did not hear one single plane during my entire stay.

The staff is quite friendly. We arrived about an hour before check-in time, but they let us go ahead and get into our room and were very accommodating.

There is a free underground parking garage, which was nice because we arrived during a severe thunderstorm, so we stayed dry and safe from the weather. It was cluttered with furnishings, though, as some rooms are apparently still undergoing renovations.

The only complaints I have are in the bathroom. The bathroom door didn't latch or lock. There was no toilet paper holder mounted on the wall, so you had to hold the roll with one hand while unrolling it with another. Also, the shower made a loud, annoying, high-pitched noise while it ran, making me want to get quickly out of an otherwise comfortable shower!

I have family in the Nashville area and stay overnight every couple of months. I will definitely stay here again, if not every time I visit.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zpb52

Reviewed June 1, 2009

I had stayed at this property a few years ago and was really impressed by the updates of the furnishings. The design is warm colors like brown and rust and it really adds a comfortable touch. I would recommend if you are traveling solo and notice your room has a connector, and if you're a light sleeper, get a different room. It didn't really affect me much because when I cranked the AC I couldn't hear the tv in the room next door. The breakfast was good. Nothing extraordinary but clean dining area and everything was in order. Check in and check out went smooth. And you couldn't be closer the I-40 and yet you don't hear it. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 1, 2009

The motel was a lot more than I expected. Check-in was fast and pleasant. We were not Gold Points Plus members, but the clerk who checked us in keyed in our info and we became instant members, adding this stay to our credit. There is some construction in progress but this worked in our favor as we were given "new rooms". Everything was so clean and fresh. I felt I was in a brand new home! The rooms have a contemporary flair and I loved the modern bathroom fixtures. We were on the 6th floor and hear some street noise, but not enough to make us lose sleep. Breakfast was more than I expected: Bacon, eggs, muffins, a variety of breads, cereals, oatmeal, grits, juices, milk,
coffee, fruit. What more could you want? The breakfast area was larger than most, plenty of tables for everyone. All staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. This place was a great find and I will definitely stay there in the future.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2009

The whole unpleasant experience began when the front desk personel gave me the wrong room as well as my daughters. I requested and made reservations for 1 person, king bed, non smoking room. I was given 2 queen beds. My daughters reserved 2 people, 2 queen beds, smoking room. They were given 1king bed non smoking room. We went back to the front desk and got the rooms exchanged only to be told that the entire hotel was converted to a non smoking facility. We were not told this until we had checked in (from Ft Lauderdale).THEN, the girls proceeded to their rooms to unpack, get settled in only to find the drawers in their unit had a half eaten crumb coffee cake in one of the drawers, as well as other food items and tags that had been removed from clothing purchases by the previous guests.. The hotel was undergoing renovations and we had pounding above us for most of the day as well as the 2 elevators were locked by the construction people and even repeated banging on the elevator doors, they would not release the elevators, causing repeated trips up and down the stairs ( we were on the 3rd floor) Numerous complaints to the front desk did not correct the problem.Thank Goodness our stay was a breif one and I would never go back there again. My answer to the next question is simply not only a no but an ABSOLUTELY NOT!. Under ground parking was filled with rolled carpets and construction materials and trash..

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2008

This hotel was great for a quick night sleep on a cross country trip through Nashville. The desk called shortly after check in to make sure that everything was satisfactory.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 8, 2008

This hotel was somewhat less expensive than other hotels around it and that's why I chose it. However, this hotel has a number of problems. My room had those orange asian beetles crawing around on the ceiling and many dead ones on the floor.

No one bothered to set the clock back for the end of daylight savings time, which was annoying and makes you wonder what else management has neglected.

I parked my car in the back parking lot. It had rained one night and when I went out in the morning to pack my car , I found my car in an inch and a half of standing water. I had to get my shoes all wet just to get into my car, so apparently this place has a drainage problem as well.

My comforter had some large cigarette burns in it.

The fitness room was at least ten degrees hotter than the rest of the hotel, which made my workout more unpleasent and grueling than it needed to be.

Overall, I was surprised at all the little things than this hotel got wrong, while so many other hotels get right.

DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelWarrior86
Reviewed October 14, 2008

In the past, we have stayed almost exclusively at Hampton Inns, but we noticed that they are starting to get pricey. We decided to book a room at the Country Inn which is right across the street from the Hampton airport location, and we were very glad we did. For our two night stay, we saved over $100 compared to the Hampton, and our hotel experience was probably better.

Without even asking, we were upgraded from a standard room to a suite at no additional charge.

The lobby, which was very clean, was equipped with a business center and workout facility, and was filled with the wonderful odor of fresh heated chocolate chip cookies.

Carpeting both in the hallways and in the room appeared to be very new.

The bathroom was fairly small, but adequate. Our only negative comment about the room was that the tub was slippery and could use something to ensure that no one falls. The shower was great and everything was in working order.

Being in a suite, we had the extra room with an extra TV set in case one of us wanted to watch a different program.

The heat control was on a wall mounted thermostat and worked fine. The blower unit was positioned at the foot of the bed and was somewhat noisy, so we cooled the room before going to sleep and then set the thermostat so that it wouldn't come on overnight.

The microwave was handy and the refrigerator kept our water bottles ice cold for the next day's travels.

The breakfast was basic but good, including a waffle maker, eggs and sausage, cereals, breads, juices, apples, etc. It included everything that we would have ordered had we gone to a restaurant.

The hotel was quiet in the halls and we did not hear any sounds from the rooms next door. Some sounds from I-40 and the airport next door could be heard, but they were not obtrusive.

In short, we will certainly stay here again on our next visit to Nashville. The people and the facilities were first rate.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank WCubed