“This was okay...just okay”

Hilton Garden Inn Nashville/Vanderbilt
Ranked #25 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Edgewater, Maryland
“This was okay...just okay”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Well, I really went by mostly great ratings on Trip Advisor for this one. Because it was NOT cheap!! Check-in was confusing!! The valet wasn't sure what to do with my car, I was not sure what to do with my car, they didn't know whether or not I should take my luggage, if there was room to store my luggage.....all in all CONFUSING!! Then, when I checked in, the gentleman at the desk (surprisingly not very friendly, sort of seemed annoyed more than anything) briskly answered my question about the StandyBy upgrade I had submitted by saying "There are seven weddings here this weekend you're lucky to have a room." Okayyyyyy. The lobby is pretty. The room was pretty. Everything was pretty and......okay. The AC system is CRAZY!! You are either freezing or HOT!! And it was very warm in Nashville the weekend we stayed there....in the 90's. Really not a great system for cooling. The beds were nice, but really, the whole pick your firmness level thing did not impress me. Not saying it is not nice, but for me it was....okay. The shuttle is great, the driver is VERY VERY nice!! Unfortunately, we missed the midnight cutoff and had to walk back from the Ryman....3 miles!! And no lie...80% was uphill!! And did I mention it was HOT?? But that was our fault not the shuttles. And do NOT even think about getting a cab if there are any hot concerts in town. Trust me, you will NOT get one. Do NOT miss the shuttle!! So all in all this hotel is.....okay. For the price, I was hoping for just a little more than okay. There is a LOT of competition. Maybe I hit it on a bad day, but I really think they want to strive for more than okay. And I am truly NOT hard to please. So just a note, an okay from me would probably be a really not okay from another traveler. It is a very nice hotel and I don't know that I would absolutely not recommend it, it's in a nice location BUT I would have to know that it was going to be better than just okay.

Room Tip: I don't know...the AC units are awful. But the rooms are pretty, I think a higher floor room is...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Cindy S
Merrily B, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Nashville/Vanderbilt, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear cynsmith61,

I am sorry that your experience at our hotel did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At the Hilton Garden Inn Nashville, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest, and it is personally disappointing to me when we fail to deliver this. While I certainly regret your experience, I thank you for sharing it with us. Your feedback allows us to continually improve. Please be assured that we have taken appropriate measures to ensure these same issues do not occur again.

Again, thank you for sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you and your family again in the future. We hope we can be your hotel choice in the future.

Florence Van Baak

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Warning: Valet parking. The rooms were nice ( we used 2). AC unit was either on full blast and never shut off, or was not on at all. Couldn't reach a happy medium. Breakfast not free of charge and expensive ($15). Stay away from biscuits and gravy, as the gravy is more like corned beef hash. Good bacon. You can get fresh eggs if you want.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank flashfearless
Merrily B, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Nashville/Vanderbilt, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Greetings Flashfearless,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. We do offer a deluxe breakfast buffet for a set price and it includes a variety of muffins, pastries, fresh fruit, yogurt, made to order omelet’s, assorted hot items, and a make your own Texas waffle station. The Valet parking is offered for all guests in addition to our Self Park option. Currently, both parking options are the same price of $23.00 per night and our guests can come and go as many times as they need to. We are always look forward to reading our guests thoughts regarding their experiences here at our hotel, and we are grateful that you chose to be our guest!

Thanks again for taking the time to write a review of your experience at our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future!

Richmond, VA
Reviewed July 1, 2012

When we arrived and had the option to valet park or self park both were a 20 dollar charge so we decided to self park. The check in process was fast considering the hotel was pretty busy. Front desk people were nice and helpful. The breakfast was ok but not hot. Wait staff was good. After breakfast we returned to our room and found that we were locked out.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Nashville/Vanderbilt, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Greetings jjsomers,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Nashville Vanderbilt. We appreciate your feedback! I will be reaching out to you privately to follow up with you regarding the inconvenience of being locked out of your room, and to invite you to return to the hotel again in the future.

Thank you, again, for your positive comments regarding both the front desk and restaurant staff. Our goal is to create an environment in which every single guest is 100% satisfied and it is great to hear that the staff met these expectations.

Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on the 23 of June for a concert. When we arrived and had the option to valet park or self park both were a 23 dollar charge so we decided to self park. The check in process was fast considering the hotel was pretty busy. Front desk people were nice and helpful.

The only complaint I had was our non smoking room smelled of cigarette smoke. We were only there one night so we delt with it .However the room was clean and quite you could adjust your beds firmness. It's also fairly close to all the downtown (bars/shopping) they offer a shuttle but a taxi is cheap!

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Nashville/Vanderbilt, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Greetings Linz82010,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience here at our hotel. We appreciate you!

The Garden Sleep System is a brand standard at Hilton Garden Inns and we love the adjustable beds in all of our guest rooms. No more tossing and turning because the bed is too soft or too firm for your individual comfort. After your great nights sleep, take our complimentary shuttle anywhere within 3 miles of the hotel or enjoy walking through historical Music Row located adjacent to the property. We are one of the few Hilton hotels that offers smoking rooms to our guests, and we apologize that this caused an inconvenience during your stay.

Thanks again for taking time to write a review about your experience. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Room was right. Ext to very noisy icemaking machine and vending room. Front desk personnel wasn't very warm when checking in and was very impatient whrn I called to complain about the noise.

• Stayed June 2012
Greetings MaxTravelling12345,

Thank you for posting a review of your experience at our hotel. We appreciate all guest feedback as it is the most useful tool available to us as we strive to create an environment in which all guests can experience a perfect hotel stay. I will be reaching out to you privately to do a more in - depth follow up.

Our Guest Service Representatives are dedicated to ensuring each guest is 100% satisfied with their stay. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My husband and I planned an elaborate bike vacation and Nashville was our second destination. I hadn't been in the city since the '90's so I was eager to reacquaint myself and introduce my husband to wonderful Nashville.

I agonized over which hotel to book. Nashville is a big city and there are many things to do and places to see. I chose this HGI based on the excellent reviews. It is easy to find and we were able to park in a covered garage.

As we checked in, however, we were faced with a slight issue. Valets were available to park cars, not motorcycles. That was fine with us. But it made unloading our belongings rather difficult since we had to leave our belongings on a cart unattended outside the hotel while we parked our bikes. Luckily the cart was still there when we returned but you can imagine how uncomfortable that made us. The valets on duty were not very keen when we asked them to watch our belongings.

On checkout, we faced the same issue plus we had to park our bikes across from the door entrance near the street while we packed our luggage on our bikes. This logistically didn't make sense to me since vehicles were coming and going while we were trying to offload our cart and hope that the cart didn't accidentally roll into a car. We could have parked next to the cart adjacent to the entrance out of the way of the cars. Luckily we packed up with no incident.

In the future, the manage should think about this issue and try to find a better customer service solution.

We found the front desk staff to be friendly and helpful despite a glut of people at the front desk demanding their attention.

The made to order breakfast was delicious and the staff was friendly and eager to serve us.

Our room faced the street but since a parking garage sits across the street, there was no issue. We did not ever notice any street noise. The curtains kept the room very dark. Also even though we were across from the elevator, the elevator noise was barely noticeable.

The only problem with our room was the cigarette smell. This hotel offers smoking and non-smoking rooms. If you notice a smell when you enter the room, you should request another room. My clothes, all my belongings, even the inside of my helmet smelled of cigarette smoke after our stay. So I will never stay in a room that reeks of stale cigarettes again!

The room was very clean and comfortable. I enjoyed the brew by cup machine available. The microwave and refrigerator were also nice to have.

Even though the hotel offers a 3-mi shuttle into the city, one of the tips I read for this location is to travel by taxi cab. Taxi rides are less than $10 including tip. Even if you have a car, parking in the city is limited and expensive. Enter the cab's phone number in your cell phone so you can call them when you are ready to return. The front desk has recommended cabs to give you. I found this to be very useful.

Dining options abound in this area so you can easily walk to restaurants and bars to enjoy the Vanderbilt area. It's a funky little sophisticated area here. I wish we had had more time to explore in depth.

I definitely will return to this hotel. It's a great choice despite my grumblings about check in and the room smell. Those are little things. The big things - location, personnel, in-house restaurant, dining options, pantry items were great.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HappyTrails6601
Greetings HappyTrails6601,

What a fabulous and detailed review! On behalf of the entire team here at the hotel, Thank you for taking the time to script such a detailed review of your experience. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

In regards to the parking situation. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with parking your bikes. Please know that we have taken these comments, observations, and details very seriously and are confident that future guests will not suffer the same hassles that you did. While we regret that you had the negative experience, we are glad that you took the time to let us know about them so that we can prevent them in the future.

We hope that you will come back and stay with us again! See you soon.

Atlanta
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have stayed at several properties in the area in this price range and this is my all around favorite. It has a small dining area that was much better than I expected and a small bar that is quite nice. Also there are some great places to eat within a few block.

Parking recently changed to valet only but is expected to revert to optional self-park in the near future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank XSmojo
Greetings XSmojo:

Thank you for posting such a great review about your experience in our hotel! The Great American Grill at the hotel is a wonderful dining option for all guests, and we value your comments. Between the fully stocked breakfast buffet (fresh fruit, pastries, and our signature Texas waffle station, cooked to order omellettes, and much more!) and a fabulous dinner menu, there is something delicious for everyones tastebuds. Our parking situation has indeed changed again, and we are pleased to once again offer both self and valet parking to all guests.

Thanks again for taking the time to tell future guests about your positive experience at our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.