“Just fine but not better than fine”
Review of Hotel Preston

Hotel Preston
Ranked #71 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Olathe, Kansas
“Just fine but not better than fine”
Reviewed July 3, 2010

Our group booked the Hotel Preston because we were in town for a wedding and the location was ideal for our needs. The hotel is right across the street from the airport, but I was relieved that I didn't notice any noise from the planes.

We were greeted at 1:45 in the morning by a surly front desk staffer who was none too excited to be disturbed by the needs of guests wanting to check in. Unloading our belongings, we trekked through the lobby and took the elevator to our 9th floor suite. I didn't find the lobby to be this way, but the rest of the common areas, especially the hallways in this hotel, are extremely hot. Be prepared to sweat it out if you find yourself locked out of your room or stuck in an elevator.

I thought the decor was nice; there were a few details that I feel were overlooked - for example, the ceiling in the lobby was cracked and in need of paint. Our room was quite spacious and our bed was comfortable. I appreciated the white bed linens; somehow they put me at ease about their cleanliness. Our friends and their children went swimming in the pool and didn't have any complaints. The hotel uses Aveda products. The restaurant wasn't gourmet, but certainly more than adequate food with above average service. All the staff we encountered, minus the gentleman working the overnight at the front desk when we arrived, were more than helpful and pleasant.

We believe that we left three pair of shorts in the dresser and when we realized this nearly five days later we called the hotel. They claim they didn't have these items. I can't imagine that someone would want three pair of my husband's used khaki shorts, but honestly leaving them was my mistake.

Frankly, for $89/night I thought the place was decent. Will I be back, well I doubt that I would have a reason to be in the neighborhood again, but at the price and with the high level of cleanliness, I would probably book at the Hotel Preston again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Indonesian first
Kansas
Reviewed June 11, 2010

Someone else said this hotel was really lipstick on a pig. That's a pretty good description. It tries extra, extra hard to be trendy and fails.
My husband, my parents and a few other couples booked this hotel in order to attend a wedding. We had problems with our booking. We arrived at 3 a.m. on our first night, and took a bit of attitude from the desk clerk. Everyone else we dealt with was extremely nice and helpful. However, the night clerk did not even try to rectify our problem -- too many people not enough beds. But we didn't argue it. We were too tired.
The next morning, I spoke with a manager. He more than rectified the situation. Our dealings with staff -- except for the night clerk, kind of a diva -- were exceptional.
The hotel is located right next to the airport. It was perfect for our purposes, because wedding was nearby, but probably not great for someone touring Nashville.
The hotel was clean. Beds were comfy. Price was acceptable. But, if you look at the website and then go to the hotel, it's just not quite what you expect. You'll expect to find a trendy, boutique hotel, but that's really just window dressing. It doesn't quite live up to its own hype.
I would recommend this hotel to someone looking for a decent hotel at an OK price. However, if you're looking for a trendy novel place to stay, this isn't it.

• Stayed June 2010
Dallas, GA
Reviewed May 14, 2010

After some thought as to an appropriate review title, I decided to mimic a review from last month because they had it nailed (If only I had read it BEFORE I booked). To be fair, I had stayed at the Hutton the previous 3 nights and only relocated due to the rate jumping too high for me to justify. That being said, I did not expect Hotel Preston to be in the same league as the Hutton, but figured since it's rated 4 stars it should be decent. I am not one to be overly critical but really feel the need to warn fellow travelers that if you are looking for 4 star quality, this is not the place to stay! I honestly would argue if it should even be considered a 3 star hotel. I cannot say that is was dirty, but it had the feel that I was in a Motel with a few upgrades trying to disguise its true identity. One example is the bathroom, wherein they have a nice Moen sink faucet but the tub floor liner feels like you are going to fall through. By far, the worst part of my stay was the fact that you hear everything taking place on your entire floor. From the time you exit the 30 year old elevators, you hear people talking in their rooms, TV's, etc. as clear as if the doors are open. Probably the worst sound insolation I've ever experineced in all my travels. In closing, if you are considering staying at this hotel, don't.

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 5, 2010

From check-in until we checked-out our stay was great! The room was extremely clean and comfortable. The only negative comment I have is that at check-out one male staff member at the desk was extremely rude and not helpful at all when I asked if there was a Target nearby. However, the female worker at the desk was more than helpful, even volunteering to print a map for us. But, for your money, this is a great place to stay!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Owensboro, Kentucky
Reviewed May 4, 2010

There really was nothing to convince me I would want to stay there again. This was an over night stop on a short vacation trip. I had been wanting to stay there since it became Hotel Preston because of all the little quirky amenities they advertised. It was just mediocre.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
Reviewed April 28, 2010

I booked through a bidding web site and Hotel Preston accepted my bid for $65 per night (including tax & fees) -it was classified as a 3 1/2 star hotel. I had a very easy check in and was able to change to a king non-smoking room since one was available. The room had an odor that made me think it was a smoking room at some point...that wasn't very appealing. My room was also right across from the elevator, which made for some added noise. The bed and pillows were very comfortable, and the shower was nice, hot water almost immediately. The sink though, had no drain stop. There was also no microwave or refrigerator. Limited TV stations as well. The business center was great and they allowed you to print your boarding passes for no charge. Ample free parking. I did not use the pool or eat in their restaurants. I was satified for what I paid, but would have been disappointed had I paid the advertised prices.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 26, 2010

I spent 2 nights at Hotel Preston with friends running the Country Music Marathon. There were 5 of us among 3 rooms, and we all loved our stay. My room faced the airport but we didn't hear a thing; even a wicked thunderstorm (with tornado warnings!) didn't rattle the windows. The bar was fun, and the restaurant was very good, especially dessert. Great decor, convenient airport shuttle, fabulous photos in the rooms and hallways, and really comfortable beds and pillows. Our only complaints were the in-room coffee and no conditioner with the shampoo.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends