“Funky and unique, but not exactly comfy!”
Review of Hotel Preston

Hotel Preston
Ranked #71 of 157 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed April 5, 2009

My family of 4 stayed at Hotel Preston for a long weekend in Nashville. The decor is funky and unique. The hotel lobby, was full of art pieces that were eye catching. If you want a step up from motel 8, this is the place to stay. However in reality the art deco decor simply hides the fact that this is an old hotel with ugly decorations and wall paper. The remodel job was half done at best - for instance no exaust fans in the tiny bathroom. The beds advertised as two queens were actually two doubles. The hotel had no idea why it would be advertised as two queens, as they have no such rooms. Not to mention the beds were hard and imposible to make comfy. And the staff - They were far from knowledgable about the area or directions to local attractions. This is not to mention the 4 attempts we tried to get extra towels. Our bathroom had two bath towels, two hand towles, and no wash cloths - for a room that could fit 4. We asked the front desk, and housekeeping for additional soap (there was only one bar) and towels. Finally, after the 4th attempt in 8 hours, we had to go the front desk, and demand them. We tried breakfast in the hotel - which was over $30.00 for two buffets and it was far from yummy. We asked the staff for directions to local attractions, and they had no idea what they were let alone the best way to get there. Even when presented with a map with different directions highlighted, and asked what is the best way to go they were unable to help. We asked for recomendations for dinner and we were unable to even get pointed in the directions of food. As to the bar, it was cute with a duo singing on Sat night. This hotel is more intersted in being trendy, and like a night club than serving paying guests. I am not a hard person to please, and was excited at the possiblity of a fun, non traditional hotel. This however was a step up from some of the chain joints that rent for far less on the side of the interstate. It was faily clean, and the location was accessible to interstate and a central point to attractions. However don't expect a 5 star hotel, and you will be ok.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
ChadArmistead, Facilities Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2009

Dear MemphisBelle12,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you did not enjoy all of the décor of the hotel; our hotel’s interior design firm, Anderson Design Studio, won an International Interior Design Association’s IN Award for our hotel this year, which we are very proud of and we always enjoy when we get our guests feedback on the unique collection we have. Our staff is always eager to assist with any concerns/requests our guest have or help with recommendations for activities outside the hotel. I am glad you found our location central to the attractions in the city. We would enjoy the opportunity to have you back as our guest again soon!

Best Regards,

Chad Armistead

Reviewed April 4, 2009

Typically when I run over to Nashville to catch a show, I stay in a 2 star no-frills place downtown to walk to the show. A friend was supposed to tag along on this trip, however, so I decided not to freak her out with a midnight or later walk through the Gulch and chose a place on Briley which would necessitate a drive in to the show.

i chose the Preston because of some of the reviews I'd read on here. I was not disappointed. I was fortunate to get a $99 king size room (which was enormous) that I ended up staying in by myself. It didn't matter, however, because I felt like a queen in that room!

I was gven 2 $20 meal vouchers for the hotel restaurant, although due to time constraints i failed to use them. Therefore, I cannot rate the food.

The room, however was very nice and the bathroom was quite beautiful. The only complaints I have are the small number of cable tv stations offered (after a show, I spend quite a long time winding down by flipping channels). Also, the plane noise was VERY LOUD. Nothing can be done about that, but it was something that took me by surprise in the early morning hours.

I do recommend this hotel; I had a great experience there and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank smokymtngirl
Reviewed April 4, 2009

I was really impressed with the Staff. The front desk clerk was awesome! The rooms were beautiful and spacious. I would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2009

We have stayed at the Preston before, and chose to go back because of previous service and atmosphere.
It seems to be slipping!
The simple things are diminished.
My registration asked for a fish, which is supposed to be one of the "special" things of The Preston. They did not find one. Have they all died?
The hallways and doors lack in sound proofing. We could hear everything in the hall. All night long. When in the hall, we could hear someone having sex, all through the hall!
The room , mainly the bathroom, is needing repair and updating.
The bathroom that we had , the shower did not drain, and the sink was slow to drain.
ONE BRIGHT NOTE:
THE FOOD WAS EXCELLENT! HAD ONE OF THE BEST STEAKS EVER!
We still like The Preston, and will probably return.
CLEAN UP AND TIGHTEN UP SERVICE!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2009

Definitely not a run of the mill hotel. Very interesting decor, and had some
very good pictures scattered throughout the hotel and the rooms. Good bed,
cable selection not the greatest. I didn't dig the $9 per day internet fee.

The creepy part is it seems like all the fun/funky stuff is to hide the age of
the hotel. The fuzzy stuff lining the walls of the elevator is certainly
different, but it makes you think you are in some sleazy house of ill repute.

So if you want a different hotel experience, definitely recommend. It is not a
cookie cutter chain. If you just want a clean, quiet place to rest. It has its
equals, it is fine, but nothing special. If you wish to avoid a place with a
feeling of pretentiousness, then you might be best served elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 31, 2009

Location was perfect for our flight out in the morning as well as a romantic and fun room - with great options as far as cookies and goldfish or even a lava lamp!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2009

The hotel is a gay hot spot in Nashville. The room was nice but trendy. Bathroom redo was done only half way. Very artsy...not refined at all. Comfortable beds.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family