“Cute hotel, but walls are very thin”
Review of Hotel Preston

Hotel Preston
Ranked #71 of 159 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We purchased a room for this hotel off Hotwire because we need a cheap place to stay while auditioning for The Voice. The hotel is very convenient to everything, but off the beaten path enough to be relaxing. I agree with some of the other reviews - hotel paint and rooms are outdated. The walls are very thin - could hear everything the lady said in the room beside us. We stayed two nights and on the second morning found lukewarm water to shower with - we are not the first reviewer that has had this issue. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Stephanie W
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Thanks for this helpful feedback, Stephanie. How did your Voice auditions go?! We always want our guests to have the most comfortable stay possible, so I'm sorry to hear you were put off by our decor. We're currently working on ways to be more accommodating, so I will definitely take your feedback to heart. You shouldn't be able to hear through your walls—this is something I'll look into ASAP. I apologize if that caused you any frustration. The same goes with your lukewarm water. Did you let someone on staff know? We would have worked to fix the situation as quickly as we could.

I do hope you will give us another shot when you're back in Nashville. I'm confident we can impress you moving forward!

Reviewed February 1, 2014

The Preston has always been one of my favorite places to stay in Nashville. It's been a couple of years since I've been here and I noticed it's a little shabbier than before. Things like warped ceiling tiles in the bathroom and cracked elevator buttons. The hotel staff is still first rate, and honored all my room requests. No more Aveda products...instead there are no brand organic products. However, they do offer touches you don't find anywhere. Feeling lonely? Call the front desk and they will send up a....FISH! Have pillow preferences? They have a menu for that. Free wifi and an excellent shower. Overall, a nice, but not excellent experience. Often on Priceline...I got the room for a mere $60.

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Kimberly P
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Thank you for this wonderful feedback, Kimberly. From our pet goldfish to our pillow menu, it sounds like you know us pretty well! It's wonderful to hear we're one of your go-to spots when you're in Nashville. That said, I'm sorry you think some of our decor is a little shabby. I'll be sure to speak with my staff about the specific things you mentioned — thanks for letting us know! Hope to see you back here soon.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

We arrived in the hotel late and just try to go to bed early so we can have a good sleep. But we just couldn't go to sleep even it was midnight. We can hear people walking on the hall way talking, or open and closing their door.
The decoration of the hotel is wear. I would not think it can be a 3.5 star hotel. The most I will say it was just a 2 star hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms close to the elevator are noisy
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

First, allow me to apologize if your neighbors kept you awake. Although we cannot always influence their behavior, we would have been happy to ask some of the contributing parties to quiet down. That aside, I'm sorry you were disappointed with our decor—most of our guests find our rooms quite comfortable and stylish, so I'm curious to know what you would like to see in our hotel. Let me know if you'd like to discuss this further, but until then, thanks for your feedback. Your words will only make us better for our guests!

Regards,

Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I had very high expectations for this hotel given it's 3.5 star rating. The lobby is very modern with hipster lamps and beautiful paintings. Initially we were excited...then we approached the check in desks. We were ignored for a few minutes while the female employees huddled and giggled loudly. It appeared to be a social conversation. We were not greeted with a smile. The entire check in process was very automatic. When we went to the elevator we had to do a security swipe which we did think was a great feature. Upon arriving to our floor, we found the hallways and decor to be cheap and outdated. There were numerous trays of half eaten food outside of rooms laying on the floor. Our actual room was decent, with a relatively modern but simple decor. There was immediately an issue with outlets in the room. We were not able to charge our phones next to the bed because all outlets were already occupied. We took a look at the information binder and found some interesting things. The hotel offers things like "rubber duckies", a "pet fish", "lava lamps". This is certainly a unique offering but is there an additional charge? We also wondered "why"? My biggest complaint was the bathroom- COMPLETELY OUTDATED. It was not at all luxurious. It was the same tile and tub I had in my home as a child. I'm 34 now. They really need to address the bathrooms. The nice bathroom counter and sink do not offset the bathing situation. They did have a courtesy robe which I enjoyed using. I channeled my best Whitney Houston impression. We did order room service. The food took 35 minutes to arrive. Presentation was beautiful. The food itself was cheap. I was not impressed with the quality. The one entree, salad, slice of cake, appetizer, and a few drinks came to almost $70. It was not a $70 meal. It was comparable to hospital cafeteria food circa mid 90's. The hotel bar advertised live music nightly so you can imagine our shock when there was not a band playing. The drinks were good, service in the bar was fast, bartenders were friendly. There was not complimentary breakfast or even a buffet. The process was again similar to ordering a meal when you're a patient in the hospital only you hang your selection on the door knob. This is more like a 2.5 star hotel. For less money you can get a room spacious suite with a nicer bathroom at the Doubletree by Nashville Airport. They have delicious breakfast and better service. I would not stay at Hotel Preston again.

• Stayed: October 2013
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

I'm sorry you had an underwhelming stay with us. We work hard to make sure our guests have a great experience from the moment they walk through our doors to the moment they leave, so if you're disappointed, then quite frankly, so am I. We pride ourselves on our quirky decor and amenities (yes, this includes free rubber duckies and pet fish), so it's a shame these offerings left you a bit puzzled. We definitely aren't your cookie cutter hotel, but at the same time, we always want our guests to feel at home.

I apologize if our front desk clerks weren't as welcoming as they should have been. Poor customer service is a big pet peeve of mine, so I can promise you I'll be looking into this. If you felt like anything less than a valued guest, then that kind of service is unacceptable. I'll be sure to take note of your feedback regarding our bathroom. We want to make sure everything in your room is up to standard. I'm sorry your room service was comparable to "hospital cafeteria food." That's certainly never the reaction we want, so if you have any specific feedback for us, we're all ears!

Once again, I'm sorry you had a less than ideal stay. Given the chance, I'm confident we can impress you moving forward. We'd love to show you what all the buzz is about.

Mucha appreciated,

Reviewed January 18, 2014

After many business trips were I stay at cookie-cutter hotels without any personality it was a pleasant surprise to discover the Hotel Preston in Nashville.

My wife and I stayed overnight on a trip to visit family and would have never discover this unique hotel except for the fact that we booked on Hotwire and didn’t know the hotel selected until after we booked. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the bath, though small was more than adequate, there was plenty of hot water and water pressure in the shower.

The staff was pleasant and helpful. I really appreciated the décor. It was a nice change from the mundane that you will find at the major hotel chains.

We ate at the restaurant at the hotel and had an outstanding diner, food was delicious and the service was great at a very reasonable price. Our only regret is that we were staying only one night at this hotel. If we are ever staying in Nashville again I will be booking the Hotel Preston.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

You're right—we're anything but cookie-cutter! Thanks for this fabulous feedback. From our quirky decor to our attentive staff, it sounds like you had a wonderful stay! Next time you and your wife are back in the Music City, our door's always open.

Be well,

Reviewed January 17, 2014

I travel a lot for business and have the chance to stay in quite a few hotels. Hotel Preston has become my go-to choice in Nashville. The price is fantastic; they usually have rooms available; the rooms are clean; the beds are comfortable; they give you a choice of six different pillow styles (who does that?) and the staff is helpful and friendly. And although the hotel is a little older, the owner has renovated and invested in a funky/fun style that works. If you are the serious/stuffy type, then this place is not for you. If you need cheering up or want some extra quirkiness, ask for a lava light, a fish (a real fish in a fish bowl), and a rubber duck. I'm being serious. Kudos to the management and the staff. The people that work here seem to enjoy their jobs. And no, nobody paid me to write this.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the extra few dollars, as for a corner king room. They are bigger and have fun...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank John S

We're honored to be your go-to in Nashville, John! We're all about the "quirkiness," so I'm glad you enjoyed our friendly service and fun atmosphere. It's always wonderful hearing back from our guests, and I can't thank you enough for this glowing endorsement. Next time you're in Nashville, our door's always open!

Reviewed January 15, 2014

My wife and I needed a room for the night before flying out the next day. Our friends recommended Hotel Preston so we decided to check it out. I was pleasantly surprised by their 'stay and park' package - for an extra $20 we could leave our car parked there for 8 days! That alone was a great reason to choose this hotel. The decor was definitely trendy/retro, some of it worked, some of it didn't. Overall it was nice and very presentable. Our King room was very spacious, but I would have liked a bigger bathroom to make better use of the space. Room was clean and comfortable, however, there weren't enough wall plugs near the bed so we had to plug stuff in by the TV. The bed was a little firm, but for one night it was fine. The shuttle drivers were pleasant and timely, so it made getting to the airport and back really quick/easy. I probably wouldn't recommend the hotel for a week-long stay, but if you need room for the night near the airport it's a good, reasonably priced option.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank skydiver17
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! I appreciate you going into detail about the aspects of our hotel you really enjoyed and also the areas you feel need a little improvement. I'm glad you got to take advantage of our Stay and Park package — we're always trying to make our guests' lives a little easier! That said, I'll be sure to take note of your comment regarding not having enough outlets near the bed and your mattress being a little firm. If you have any more feedback for us, we're all ears! We hope to see you back here next time you're in the Music City.