“Great for Park & Fly”
Review of Hotel Preston

Hotel Preston
Ranked #72 of 160 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed December 20, 2007

Flew SWA from Nashville BNA airport to OAK to visit grandkids. Stayed at the Preston because it appeared to be the best of the area hotels offering Park & Fly service to/from BNA airport. Ten days free on-site parking with overnight stay. Location is just off I-40 on Briley Parkway, convenient to Opryland. On-time limo service to BNA and timely pickup on return. Friendly and accomodative limo drivers.

Property is undergoing renovation but is clean and quiet with abundant amenities and competent and friendly staff. Excellent security with key access required to operate elevators. Stayed another night on our return; experience was equally pleasant.

We have low expectations when it comes to eating in US hotel restaurants but would rate the Preston's food and service as above average.

We highly recommend the Preston, particularly to travelers seeking a Nashville Park & Fly location. Next time we fly SWA, we definitely will stay there.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank wa4dbh
Write a ReviewReviews (2,486)

Reviewed December 14, 2007

I flew to Nashville on a Friday, photographed a wedding in Murfreesboro on a Saturday, and was supposed to depart Nashville on Sunday.

The airline royally screwed up my flight due to "maintenance problems" and so I was given the option of being thrown from airport to airport for the rest of the day to arrive at part of my destination by 9 PM or stay in a hotel. It being 8 AM at that time I decided that 12+ hours of jumping airports did not sound at all enjoyable, especially when I wasn't even guaranteed to arrive at my final destination.

I opted for the hotel.

The lady put me in some hotel called the Hotel Preston saying only vaguely that she had heard the restaurant was good. Well I really didn't care but was a little put out that I didn't receive the standard Holiday Inn or Best Western or some chain hotel. They are so predictable that I knew what I would be getting if I went there. So I went out to wait for the shuttle to the Preston. After waiting for a bit the shuttle showed up driven by a guy in a smart suit who carried himself well and held a decent conversation, this was Zach...he looked tired and I would find out why later. As we drove up to the Preston my heart sank, it was a huge old yellowed building that looked like it had dropped straight out the 60s or 70s and had a fairly temporary looking sign on it that said Hotel Preston. "Great," I figured, "stupid airline stuck me in the cheapest place they could get." Walking in the front door proved that there really is such a thing as a "second" first opinion.

The entrance and front desk was a "funktified" mix of avante garde art, marble floors, thumping disco style dance music, and expensive wood paneled walls. The whole lobby looked like something from a movie. I wondered what on earth I had gotten myself into while at the same time being impressed by the slickness of the place.

Sabrina, the front desk lady, was nice. I went up to my room and was caught more than off guard by the quality of the room. Incredible beds, great view of downtown, big TV, random fish, and a long list of other pleasing quirks. These people really know how to make a hotel feel classy.

I went down to the lobby to read the newspaper and watch people walk in and out, a practice I have developed over the years. I also wanted to get a second glance at the strange pink dress display. I sat down and watched, and here is what I found.

Sabrina was the only person working at the front, she was overloaded clearly but held herself well. Most of the guests were as...surprised isn't quite the word I am looking for...maybe caught off guard is better, as I was and on the whole seemed pleased. Sabrina had her work cut for her. This was when I noticed the shuttle driver again. I had originally thought that Zach was just the shuttle driver. My 30 minutes in the lobby showed just what it is he does. He walked in the door with guests again, took their luggage upstairs for them, came back down, went to the front desk, answered some phone calls, came back out, and exchanged words with some guests in which I overheard him introduce himself as the manager. He then helped those people with their luggage, came back down, answered some more phone calls, and then took off with the shuttle to get more people. It was then that another realization dawned on me: Sabrina and Zach were the only two people I had seen since I arrived almost 2 hours before. I sat and watched some more. Sabrina was still overloaded, Zach came back and did his whole thing over again.

I went back to my room because I had in this time acquired a headache.

This is where the beds come in. I fell into one of the beds to sleep, the only thing that wears my traveling headaches down, and was quickly passed out. I slept for 4 hours and moved very little. The beds are that nice.

So then I ordered room service. I fully expected Zach to deliver my food to me but a different person came. I don't remember her name but she seemed OK. Oh well, the food was incredible.

While I was conscious again I began to notice some things. The walls are thin, I could clearly hear the elevator every time it moved and quite a bit of the conversations being held in the room next to me. The power went out for about 2 minutes at that point and then came back on.

The Rockies (my team) were set to play game 4 of the world series that night so I sat back and watched on the rather large Vizio TV. After my team failed to do anything spectacular for about 7 innings I opted out realizing that my childhood dream of the Rockies actually winning a world series was about to be shattered and went downstairs to the restaurant. The lady here was very friendly and I ordered some incredible chicken strips.

Then I told her that I thought I had the whole hotel pegged. She asked me what I meant. I said, "My bet is that this hotel is a multi-million dollar project that ran out of money which would explain why there are only two people staffing the front area and why there are clear corners being cut in the bathrooms and in the elevators. Man these chicken strips are good." She confirmed that just maybe my inklings were right on. At that point Zach walked in...at 10:30 PM...still working. This would explain why he looks so tired.

So here is my evaluation. Zach is really Superhuman, Sabrina probably had decent reasons to depart (she was overloaded), and the whole hotel is a brilliant idea that I really hopes works out. It was very hip, very well presented, and had very good culinary choices. There are obviously some cut corners, that happens when a project runs out of money, but on the whole I would stay here again.

One more thing, the elevators, if they haven't been already, REALLY needed to be revamped. They were old, shaky, and kinda scary.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
6  Thank rdtphoto
Progressive07, Marti Timmons, Director of Sales at Hotel Preston, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2007

Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments. We at Hotel Preston are very happy to present the newly renovated facilities, the abundance of beautiful art and of course the unique environment to our guests for 2008. We hope you come back often and become a regular guest.

Reviewed November 30, 2007

The Hotel Preston is one-of-a-kind for Nashville! Please don't pay attention to any of the poor reviews as they have experienced a lot of growing pains over the last couple of years.

The lobby is incredible. The cool furniture, artwork, and colors make for an impressive entry and really set the mood.

The dining room and lounge have been completely remodeled and are very nice. The lounge reminds me of some places I've seen in South Beach or Southern Cal. I was even told that there will be a new "wrinkle" in the lounge that is sure to have all of Nashville talking very soon.

The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The beds are the most comfortable I've experienced at any hotel.

I would also like to commend the management and staff. One of the best experiences I've ever had with a hotel.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Hotel Preston!!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank tedmc
ZachMiller, Front Office Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2007

We are so glad you enjoyed the stay with us. Thank you for the knid works!! We also love the new look. You will have to come back and check out the lounge. We are sure you will love the new component that makes the lounge complete.

Reviewed November 15, 2007

While i must admit that the staff were exceptionally polite and helpful, this hotel was a huge disappointment. The elevators
were still torn apart.

The rennovations reminded me of "design on a dime:.. nice to look at but cheap..Bathrooms are old and small with things like new faucets and shower heads to disguise the fact. There was granite countertop too. The bathroom was still old.

The Preston advertises itself as a boutique hotel. It is not.
It is a very old Radission with a little inexpensive cosmetic work to make it look a little newer and more contemporary. Air conditioning and heat were effective but Noisy.The rooms were reasonably attractive to look at but the quality
of the sheets and duvet covers was awful. Scratchy, uncomfortable
and cheap.

The worst problem for us was a pervasive smell of deodorizer
that was hiding some kind of odor, either smoke or somehing
else in the halls. Bottom line is the building is OLD.

The is hotel is no more than a 2 star. The staff however
was 4 stars and did help to make our stay (which we cut short and moved elsewhere) palatable.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank TheTravelingGirl
Reviewed November 4, 2007

I picked the Hotel Preston based mostly on their website. I wanted a hotel that was more upscale, but not downtown, for an extended weekend with my husband.

The lobby is absolutely lovely; with bright colors and a nice contrast between sharp lines and softness, with shaggy rugs complimenting glass tables and the like. Sabrina checked us in and was incredibly efficient and friendly while seemingly overrun by phone calls and guests. I saw another young man in uniform who didn't seem to be doing anything, maybe he was in training or something.

Most of the reviews have said this, but I feel it needs to be repeated: LOVED the room. The bed was soft and inviting, the linens were superb. The bathroom was small, but very clean and well appointed.

The 24 hour room service they advertise is a joke. Three sandwiches and three salads that are made when the restaurant closes. It didn't matter, anyway, as they were out of all the selections except the one salads when we called down around 1am. The night clerk (who must be used to being out of food or having guests disgusted with their options) kindly offered to bring some menus up to our room. When we declined, she offered to have the shuttle driver take us to Waffle House. We set out on our own in our car instead, to see the city at night and whatnot.

Now that that's said, I need to get to the crux of my review. This is the entire reason I wanted to write to TripAdvisor, but I didn't want to overwhelm the reader with all bad stuff. Monday night was our last night at the hotel, and we decide to pop in to the bar to have a drink before setting off for the evening. Monday night is, apparently, talent contest night. The bar was filled with some of the loudest, trashiest people I've ever seen. There was "hootin'" and "hollerin'". While we waited for the bartender to stop talking to her friends and take our order, I went to the restroom and found that bar patrons had taken over the lobby, with beer bottles on the floor and people talking loudly and playing guitar. The entire lobby and bar smelled like cigarette smoke though I'm pretty sure it's nonsmoking.

That was the "ambiance". I've not gotten to the "talent" part yet. The first couple of people were okay, doing old country standards and trying their best. I was about halfway through my drink when it happened. Yodeling. This woman yodeled. It caught me completely by surprise, too, and I couldn't do anything but laugh. I laughed so hard I nearly fell off my bar stool, which is when my husband, through giggle fits, suggested we leave before causing a scene. I know this is Nashville. I know all about "home of country music" and such, but YODELING? It seemed to go against everything the Hotel Preston wanted to do. The hotel "Talent" Contest, in fact, seemed to go against everything the Hotel Preston wanted to do. There were two children, about three and seven, running around the bar; the progeny of one of the singers.

I loved the hotel, don't get me wrong, and plan on staying there again, but the "talent" contest was just too much. It was too surreal, too overwhelming. The Hotel Preston needs to decide if it wants to be a boutique hotel or a honky tonk. It can't have both. Having gone downtown and seen my fair share of honky tonks, I think Nashville has way too many of the latter and not enough of the former.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Igelkind
ZachMiller, Front Office Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2007

Thank you for your comments. I am extremely happy that you will come stay with us again, and that the service you recieved from Sabrina was excellent. I apologize that you did not enjoy your time at the Hotel Preston Talent night. We do have very close ties to the live music scene because of the many bands that regularly play here, and we know how hard it can be for up-and-coming artists to make it in music. Monday night offers them a platform for debuting their talent in hopes that they can be discovered or just have a good time.

Reviewed October 25, 2007

On October 18th we received word that my 85 year old mother-in-law became ill with a virus, was in a hospital in Nashville, was by herself because her tour group had gone on without her, and was about to be released. We immediately booked my wife onto a flight to Nashville and then I made arrangements for both of them to stay at the Hotel Preston until I could get them on a flight back.

My wife had nothing but good things to say about this hotel. They were very solicitous and went out of their way to make them both comfortable. They even assigned a shuttle for them to go to a pharmacy to pick up prescriptions-- and the shuttle driver patiently waited while the prescription was filled. The driver then took them to the airport while the hotel called ahead to American Airlines to make sure that a wheelchair would be ready and that they would receive V.I.P. treatment (which they did).

The Hotel Preston has my personal thanks for taking such good care of my wife and her mother in such trying times. The best measure of service comes when you need it most.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank tk1559
Reviewed October 24, 2007

we stayed at hotel preston on oct 10, 2007 prior to leaving for our honeymoon. we live in nashville, but wanted to avoid the 30 min drive
to the airport at 4am the next morning.

the hotel is fun and funky, impressive lobby decor. the rooms are also great....nice amenities, good beds, nice bathroom. the elevators
are downright OLD and the bar could use some updating. we had friends
come to "send us off" and ended up taking our drinks out in the lobby
due to the LOUD music and the fact that there was was the drunkest person i have ever seen yelling and stumbling about, with his wife screaming "roger, come eat yer burger NOW!!". humorous, but annoying.
we were happy to see that management finally kicked he and his posse out.

the shuttle to airport was prompt and ready to leave when they said they would. it was literally a two minute drive.

overall, i would stay here again prior to an another early morning departure. especially for $95 a night.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple