“Great Boutique Hotel!”
Review of Hutton Hotel

Hutton Hotel
Ranked #17 of 157 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed two nights at The Hutton Hotel. I have stayed in close to 10 hotels in Nashville and this is one of the top 2. The service is really good, the rooms, while small are very comfortable and the bathrooms was very nice! The beds and sheets and comforters were very nice and comfortable. Everyone on the trip talked about how nice the beds were and how well you slept in them. the bathrooms were very modern and clean looking. Nice marble and glass doors and the overhead rain shower head.

The location and ease in and out of the garage was very easy and with parking at a premium in Nashville that was a great plus.

It is a great place to stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Beautiful, tranquil, modern room. Comfortable bed with high quality linens. The shower was fantastic, but I agree that it would be nice to control the temperature without exiting the shower. Liked the coffee bar on each floor. Used the car service, and our driver was terrific. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Best place to stay in Nashville.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Small, poorly designed rooms, with the 3 drawer clothes dresser of the suite in the living room and no control for the shower actually inside the shower. Why would you put a dresser in a living room? Why not put the shower controls inside the shower so it could be turned off without exiting wet instead of dry. Why is there so little closet space when customers might want to unpack and not live out of their luggage for a week?
There are some stellar employees like Tim, a wonderful bellman and a great concierge, but many who need to repeat Hospitality 101. The GM and Assistant Manager haven't been at the property in 3 days. After 5 breakfast's with warm scrambled eggs, I am declaring 1808 (the restaurant) a slow service disaster. Our server seems to believe that "Ya'll" is a substitute for using a proper title such as Sir, Ma'am or Mr and Ms. to address a customer. The hosts and hostess ask for your last name but apparently can't communicate them to the servers. We now ask for coffee pots on the table "ala IHOP" so we can get prompt refills even if we have to pour them ourselves.
Slow drains in the sinks took repeated calls to get Maintenance as did a non-illuminating clock in the bedroom that had to be replaced so we could see the time.
The location isn't bad for the West End and the decor would be nice if there were more space. This isn't opulence, it is pretense masquerading as Southern Hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Canyoncrawler
SPANashville, General Manager at Hutton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

I wanted to apologize for the issues you had while our guest. Please be assured that we continually strive to improve our hotel and will look for better ways to accommodate our guests who are with us for more then a couple of days. Our Director of Engineering has gone through your room to ensure everything is in perfect condition for the next guest.

I am also working with the Manager of 1808 Grille and the Chef to ensure we are providing an outstanding experience for each of our guests. We are committed to correcting these issues and look forward to providing you with a much better experience on your next trip to Music City.

Warm regards,
Steven Andre

Reviewed October 26, 2012

The rooms are gorgeous and include a good sized shower with rainfall shower head, expensive soaps and creams, slippers, bathrobe, free Internet, wide screen t.v., big, comfy king sized beds and one of the hottest bars in town. And, oh yes, the food in the restaurant is MAGNIFICENT>

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MusicFlyer
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is the perfect example of a hotel that has way too many people "helping" you get in and out of the place and would be far better off with less people in exchange for a coffee station in the morning, somewhere to actually sit that feels like a lobby and a better dining setup. Too much glitz not enough substance for the price which was high. There are a lot of choices on this side of town (near Vanderbilt) so I am surprised this hotel has received the hype. Cant say that I get it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sphgordo
Reviewed October 24, 2012

After reading all the glowing reviews of this hotel, my husband and I were excited about staying here for our week-long stay in Nashville. I must say, that after two days, I don't get what all the fuss is about.

And I must say that the staff at the Hutton suffers from a certain amount of racial imbalance. During our stay, not a single 'person of color' was seen in any position in the front of the house (front desk, wait staff, or concierge). Plumbing or housekeeping issues? Many people of color!

The Bedroom
We booked a King suite, which is not only incredibly small and hard for two people to navigate, but ridiculously appointed. The bureau is located not in the bedroom, but the living room. It had a grand total of three shoebox-sized usable drawers for guest use. I asked the concierge to send up a set of drawers and was presented with a white plastic drawer set: the kind you get for a dorm room at WalMart for 20 bucks! Nice ... (Of course, there's really no place to put it, but that's another matter.) I was told by the Operations Manager that the rooms were designed more for short-term business people. Do they not bring stuff with them when they travel?

When I first booked the suite, I requested a refrigerator and was told there'd be a charge of $20 per day for its use. When I objected to that charge, it somehow magically went away. (Of course, when I checked our account during our stay, I saw that the $20/day charge was there: I spoke to the Operations Manager and he had it removed.) Could we have tried moving the bureau into the bedroom? Yes. Were we here to move furniture? No.

The Bathroom
Some designer must have had a field-day here! Dual clear glass sinks. Sounds like a pretty cool idea, doesn't it? Just imagine that you're standing in front of the sink brushing your teeth. You look down and see your feet, the plumbing fittings, and everything you've spit or drooled into the bowl. YUCK!!!

Another cool feature is the (allegedly green) shower with the electronic controls which are conveniently located OUTSIDE the shower. That means that if the water temperature is either too cold or too warm, you have to get out of the shower to change the temperature. It also means that once you're finished showering, you can use the towel on the inside of the shower door ... but wait ... the water is still on and you can't turn it off until you're out of the shower! And this is green? You choose: you can waste water while you either dry off with the (getting wetter and wetter) towel while the shower is still going, or you can jump out of the shower while you're soaking wet so you can turn off the water!

The drains in both bathroom sinks are slow and the bedside iPod dock doesn't illuminate. During the late afternoon/early evening, it was difficult to get hot water. No one seems to know how to fix the clock problem.

And then there was the backed up toilet. This was an especially joyous part of our stay! What can I say ... there's something special about having nice young men with a bucket come to your suite to haul off your 'waste'!

The Living Room
In addition to the bureau that isn't in the bedroom and the silly plastic box of drawers, there's a coffee table with a plexi-glass top that keeps sliding all over the place. There's also a sleeper-sofa that you could probably open if you could find a place to put the coffee table. And you have to be a gorilla in order to open the door leading to the hallway (as well as all the doors in this hotel).

The Restaurant
The food at the 1808 Grille is good, but the service is uneven, tending toward the stingy. The staff seems to be particularly preoccupied with pouring water from their nifty looking bottles. At breakfast, I had to constantly ask for more coffee and cream. At lunch, I was served lukewarm decaf that tasted old (a fact that was later confirmed by the waiter).

The Good News
There are tons of outlets in the suite: more than I've ever encountered. I now travel with a power strip, and I haven't had to use it at all. And the internet connection is great: I've been able to stream movies and upload photos without any trouble. There's also a desk with lots of outlets and a real office chair!

I spoke to the GM during my stay. He comp'd us 1-nights stay on our bill. I felt that given our level of aggravation, this was insufficient.

After years of staying in a variety of luxury and not-so-luxurious hotels and motels, I am convinced that every hotel room designer and/or GM should be required to live in their rooms and suites for at least one week!

Room Tip: Don't stay here! The Hutton Hotel tries to be hip and green: it is neither.