“Not impressed”

The Hermitage Hotel
Ranked #3 of 160 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed February 14, 2011

3 nights stay with my daughter. After checking Tripadvisor prior to this booking I was confident this would be a good one and booked through the Preferred Hotels member site. However, 5 stars in the US is not as 5 stars elsewhere. No doubt this is the best one in Nashville, but that really means little as general standards in US are low. The americans seems to think that they provide top notch service if they title you Sir all the time! Staff are unable to answer or cope with requests "outside the box" their trained for. The only thing they are really good at are apologizing.
The worst moment was however Saturday morning when there was cold water only available. Thus, I had to spend the day in Nashville without a shower! Returning to the hotel in the afternoon the hot water was back. Arriving for breakfast the clerk was more interested speaking at the phone than seating us! He acted first when I asked if there were any other place to have breakfast around there!!
This is also the only 5-star I´ve been to around the World who cannot change currency for you (Euro). The sound attentuation between rooms is almost non-existant. We were kept up all night by a party next door. Another details is that it is impossible (at least to me) to close window curtains entirely in order to avoid an early wake up.
Finally, checking out I was charged for breakfast which should be complimentary for Preferred members. The clerk at the desk was not able to do anything about this until the manager arrived as I was not willing to unpack my luggage to present my member card (as at that point I actually wanted to pay for breakfast to get out of there).
Would I stay again? If I got assurance that they are able to correct the flaws noted I would as there are no other hotels around but the worn and boring chain hotels you will find in any US city.
On the positive side: The Grill down stairs is very good and the bar is also top range!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank N0ggie
Write a ReviewReviews (1,656)

Reviewed January 31, 2011

We recently spent two nights in this hotel and were very happy with the service and amenities. It is an absolutely georgous hotel and the staff were exceptional. The location was perfect. We were able to walk to restaurants and then downtown attractions, such as the Ryman Auditorium and the Country Music Hall of Fame. We would definitely stay here in the future..

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2011

The Hermitage Hotel in downtown Nashville was beyond excellent in every way. We were treated like the many royalty who have visited there -- which I read later is their specific desire... that every guest feel like royalty. We were consistently greeted by name. The room was spacious, comfortable and well appointed. The large bathroom was sparkling off white marble. The restaurant was beautiful, and again the entire staff from hostess to waiter greeted us by name,.... and the food was excellent. We so much regretted that we only had one night to enjoy the Hermitage, but would love to go back. If you are looking for Old World beauty with a grand history, look no further.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 30, 2010

The personnel are lovely, courteous and helpful but not well trained. The hotel is beautiful, but this is really not 5 star quality. It should be rated 4 star.
The Christmas Day Brunch was largely inedible.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 20, 2010

Everything was perfect. We don't usually stay in such upscale hotels, but splurged. It was so very worth it. The room was large, with premium amenities. Every employee we encountered was pleasant and helpful. We even saw a celebrity who was staying down the hall!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2010

My husband and I checked into the Hermitage with high expectations and little did it not deliver!! We had hoped for a relaxing weekend and we received so much more! From the valet service; to the concierge; to the nightly turn down service; there was little left to imagine. Nashville has so much to offer and with help from the concierge and the waitress from the Oak Bar we experienced so many hidden treasures of Nashville! Take a few minutes to read over the 100yrs of the Hermitage, so much history.
We were able to enjoy a massage at the spa and WOW!!! It was like our own private retreat! I would highly recommend it, a bit costly but oh so worth it!! Enjoy the flavored water outside of the gym for just another hidden bonus! Visit the Men’s restroom in the basement near the Oak room to experience the past history of the Hermitage.
I hope to return yearly! Kelly P.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kptpOHIO
Reviewed December 20, 2010

First trip to Nashville and the Hermitage was more than one could ask for. The room was excellent, the staff extremely helpful and courteous, and the location was excellent. We dined at the hotel and visited the bar several times. The service was very fine and the atmosphere inviting. We are planning another trip to Nashville and look forward to staying at the Hermitage.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple