“Is it possible to give them 6 stars?”
Review of Hermitage Hotel

Hermitage Hotel
Ranked #3 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
Pasadena, California
“Is it possible to give them 6 stars?”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

First off, this wasn't the first hotel I booked for our trip. However, after reading reviews of the other hotel, then realizing the other hotel charges for wifi (my pet peeve) I decided to switch our reservation to the Hermitage. I originally thought it may be a bit stuffy based on the uber-posh interior decor. However, I loved the marketing on their website showing guest rooms merchandised with "casual" props. (Guitar cases, boots, etc). Feeling less intimidated We decided to give them a try. OH MY GOSH...wow. Just wow.
The hotel is breathtakingly historic and beautiful. The rooms are comfy and absolutely immaculate. You get free wifi, they give you a nespresso machine with free coffee pods in your room, the mini bar is stocked with amazing (and local) goodies.
However, without a doubt the staff are the jewel of this establishment. Every single employee made us feel welcome and special. They seemed genuinely gracious, and not overly trained to say the same scripted conversation to guests. They made us feel like VIPs. I've never felt so comfortable in such a grand environment!
Tips: Deb in the bar will make you feel like a local. You won't find a better bartender. Also, pay the extra to get the capital view....it's very special and so beautiful, especially at night.
We can't wait to come back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank fmjmclark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
brooklyn
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Great staff, beautiful rooms, convenient location. Got great help w directions, reservations, local info. Breakfast was great and filling and was included w the Amex fine hotels program. We even got a room upgrade to a top floor corner room from the program. The waitress/bartender in the Oak room was particularly pleasant and made good drinks.

2 Thank hamsteak
Long Island, NY
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This was our first time in Nashville and I'm so happy that my husband booked us a room at the Hermitage Hotel. We dealt with the concierge a few times before we arrived, and Vickie was beyond helpful. She was a joy to talk to! Our first impressions when we arrrived were very positive. The doorman greeted us warmly and then we were brought into the fabulous lobby. Even the hotel smells amazing -- like lemons or something. Not overpowering but a clean, fresh scent. The girl at the front desk checked us in and answered all our questions. The bellboy was right there after check-in to help us out with our luggage and bring us to our room. Everyone we encountered was professional and friendly and had real southern charm. The room was so spacious and plush, and the bed was like what I imagine sinking into a cloud would be like. We got a great deal booking through AmEx and the platinum card. (Free breakfasts, $100 F&B voucher, room upgrade, early check-in and a late check-out -- plus, the room rate went down $30 a night). Loved the nightly turn down service. I'd easily compare this hotel to a Four Seasons property. We were completely spoiled here and I recommend this hotel very highly. We loved Nashville and I can't wait to return and I will be staying at the Hermitage Hotel, for sure.

3 Thank LILady11
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful hotel. The lobby and rooms were luxuriously decorated and offered all the comforts one might expect. The staff were incredibly attentive. I enjoyed one of the most restful nights of our travels. One should not miss breakfast at the hotel restaurant, Capital Grill, and be sure to have the grits.

3 Thank frankb582
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Beautiful hotel. They think of every amenity you may need and some you didn't think you did. Large room and bathroom with nice big tub and separate shower. The bar down stairs is very comfortable and had an excellent meal in the Capital grill. A must stay in Nashville!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank mkc88
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This was my second stay at The Hermitage. Nashville is not my first choice destination, but I have to visit for my husband's work. As long as I get to stay at The Hermitage, I don't mind coming to Nashville. The hotel is beautiful - especially the lobby. I love all of the history. The rooms are well appointed, the staff is extremely helpful and the hotel restaurant, Capitol Grill, is consistently one of the best hotel restaurants I have ever dined in. The hotel owns a farm about four miles away and most of the produce and much of the meat comes from this farm.

On this visit I did have two complaints, one of which is pretty nit-picky, which is where the fifth star was lost.

On this visit I had the opportunity to take advantage of the Spa at the Hermitage. I emailed the concierge ahead of my arrival and requested a 60 minute Firm Swedish massage with a female therapist. I received a confirmation via email and a letter at check-in from the concierge that I was scheduled for a 60 minute Firm Swedish massage at 2pm on Wednesday. The email even confirmed my request for a female therapist. First of all, the Spa is not what I would consider an actual spa - especially in a hotel of this level. Located inside the fitness center, it seems more like an afterthought. There are two treatment rooms with a very small waiting area. The ladies locker room is directly off the waiting area, but the men's locker room is outside the door to the waiting area and down the hall, closer to the workout facility. The door to the waiting area is a clear glass door, so anyone with a room key can come and stare into the waiting room and see you sitting there in your robe waiting for your massage. Second of all, when I arrived I was greeted by a male therapist. I told him that I had specifically requested a female therapist and showed him my confirmation email. He stepped into the treatment room and called someone. He came back out and apologized for the mix-up and said a female therapist could be there in 10-15 minutes if I wanted to wait. I said I would wait but I felt I should receive some kind of compensation for the inconvenience. I was offered a 60 minute massage for the price of a 30 minute massage. My point, though, is that I shouldn't have had to ask for the compensation. And I feel that the concierge or whomever made the error should have contacted me to apologize for the mistake.

My second complaint, which I know is totally nit-picky: This is a Forbes Five Star/AAA Five Diamond property that brags about its luxury setting - including Frette linens and Molton Brown toiletries. So I was shocked when I went to blow my nose and found that the tissues provided by the hotel are cheap off-brand (Imperial) cardboard-like tissues like I would expect in a hospital. I am a Marriott Platinum Elite Rewards member and even the lowest-end Marriott properties provide Kleenex brand tissues.

The Hermitage is still the only place I will stay in Nashville and one of my favorite all-time hotels. Its a real treat to stay here. I just won't schedule any spa services and will bring my own Kleenex or Puffs in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank AndieTravels
Alabama
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Luxurious, beautiful and amazing. Service is superior. Enough said, except to let you know that when you step in the door, you are greeted by the most beautiful aroma of fresh flowers-will never forget the Hermitage.

Room Tip: Request a view of the Tennessee State Capitol building.