“Beautiful Grounds”

Ranked #23 of 258 things to do in Nashville
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Experience Cheekwood, the 55-acre estate built by the Maxwell House Coffee fortune in Nashville, Tennessee, and one of the finest examples of an American Country Place Era Estate in the United States. The Botanical Garden is a spectacular showcase of color and horticultural diversity with eleven specialty display gardens and stunning natural landscape. The Museum of Art has collections of Painting, Sculpture and Decorative Arts. Visitors can enjoy year-round family-friendly activities with four distinct festivals held during the year. From Cheekwood in Bloom with more than 50,000 tulips in the Spring, to a children’s wonderland of Christmas trees, Trains, Santa, live reindeer, and more during Holiday at Cheekwood, Cheekwood celebrates the seasons in style with something for everyone!
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I visited in the winter so there was little in bloom in the gardens. The grounds are beautiful. I would love to see them in the spring. I walked the sculpture trail. There were a few pieces missing but a nice walk. There are some lovely water areas.
The house is beautiful and was decorated for Christmas. The 3rd floor is dedicated to modern art so I went through quickly.
I ate at the Pineapple Room Restaurant. The view is pretty but my food was average.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,055)

Reviewed December 27, 2013

The Christmas tree displays were fine, but we saw even better elsewhere. The grounds are probably beautiful in spring/summer, but are so-so in winter. The sculptures near the house appear to have been moved inside for winter. And the art display currently in the house was awful.

1  Thank DRWMETMAN
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Christmas trees of color- yes - there was a red one, purple one, silver one and so on but none were spectacular or just a terrific AH moment. I was bored. The train exhibit was ONE plastic Thomas the tank on a track. Was the layout of the train track interesting yes but was this a train exhibit – I guess so since there was ONE train. We were disappointed to take the time just was not worth it. Also, it makes me hesitant to believe or trust any other future exhibits. However, the grounds were very nice to walk around and the gardens were nice.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I went with a friend this last Saturday especially to see the reindeer. I had never seen reindeer before so I made it my mission to make it happen. I was very excited and curious about them. There was Comet and Snowflake. Snowflake was our favorite. She was older than Comet and had a white coat which really stood out. The owners were very friendly and engaged everyone there. I was very impressed with how they kept the children's attention with story's and facts of the reindeer.
Afterwards we walked to the mansion for the Christmas tree showings and the musical bell performance. Thank you all who helped make it feel like Christmas at Cheekwood this year.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We frequently take our son here for seasonal pictures. The seasonal / annual events they have (Lights, Chihuly, etc) are wonderful and make for a great place to take your significant other. They definitely put a lot of time and upkeep into maintaining the grounds. We just renewed our family membership for the 2nd year. Looking forward to 2014.