“Glad I went”

Historic Tennessee - Southern Plantations and Presidents
Ranked #6 of 252 things to do in Nashville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson, is one of the largest and most visited presidential homes in the United States, and recently named the #1 historic house in Tennessee. Today, The Hermitage is a 1,120-acre National Historic Landmark with over 30 historic buildings,that welcomes some 190,000 annual visitors, including 30,000 schoolchildren, from all 50 states and many foreign countries.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Lakewood, California
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Glad I went”
Reviewed August 19, 2007

This was a lovely way to spend an afternoon. Everything is so well preserved - down to the paint color. You could envision the Jacksons living here and it seemed to be a very comfortable estate house - not too large. The guides were great, telling so many fabulous stories. We took the wagon ride on the estate in which you learn a lot about slavery on this plantation. The cemetery is interesting to see. The gardens were small, but lovely. I got a kick out of the original cute outhouse in the garden. The movie at the museum part isn't the best, but does give you a little history. They have statues of Mr. and Mrs. Jackson with their clothes - quite a difference in their sizes. Someone complained about the price. I seldom feel I've overpaid when the money is used for the upkeep of such historical places. So much of this is original, that the price is justified. I feel the same way about Hearst Castle. However, someplace like the Winchester House, where hardly anything is from the time of Mrs. Winchester I think is a sheer rip-off. If I visit Nashville again, I will probably visit the Hermitage again. I recommend the wagon ride. Our guide was so good. She was getting some sort of degree involving horses, so we learned a lot about the horses' personalities on the grounds. They even had Galloway Belted cows (aka Oreo cookie cows) on property. Although not from Jackson's time, they are worth seeing. The gift shop is nice, and everyone had that special Southern charm. It helps to know a little bit about Jackson and that time period prior to your visit.

3 Thank Shikari

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
England
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“A lovely and enjoyable afternoon”
Reviewed July 7, 2007

Coming from UK, we really only knew a little about President Jackson, but we learned heaps during the afternoon we spent at The Hermitage.

After we watched a short film, it was easy to walk through the grounds to the house with the map provided. The grounds are beautifully maintained.

At the house we were greeted by folk in costume who showed us the home, allowing us plenty of time to see everything and ask questions, nothing was too much trouble.

After we came out of the house, we explored the other areas of the grounds and took a wagon ride which was great fun. The driver was very knowledgeable about the Jackson family, the estate and the slavery aspect. We also visited the small cemetery.

The museum is very interesting too with heaps to learn about the way of life in those days - just what we wanted to know!

6 Thank Eyepye-7
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 800 helpful votes
“Overpriced, But OK”
Reviewed June 28, 2007

Worth seeing once, but it is way overpriced, and there is nothing really spectacular about the place. If you are a history buff, well then you should go and spend the money and learn about Jackson, but if you are looking for tourist attractions, don't come here. There is too much else to see and do in Nashville for free or more reasonably priced.

3 Thank Cruiser100
Indianapolis, IN
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Great...beautiful and educational”
Reviewed January 13, 2007

I had always wanted to visit here, and being a history major itw as quite exciting! It was better then expected. The grounds are big and beautiful, clean and well kept. The staff at the center were friendly, and we watched the film and made our way to the house.

We guided ourselves with easy walking pathways and a nice map provided to us. We also explored a really interesting and highly educational museum - discussing history of the Jackson family living there. It was so great...and exciting.

At the beautiful house we were greeted by a costumed lady, who was super sweet and entertained us till we were invited in by another woman. Overall four people showed us the home, allowing us plenty of time to view the home. The rooms are all blocked off by barriers - allowing visitors to safely view Jackson's ORIGINAL home goods and wears without worrying about visitors touching anything.

The home is bloody amazing, beautiful and perfectly kept. The staff is full of people who really enjoy the history, and admire Andrew Jackson as a man and President. They all knew a ton, and were able to anwser our groups questions. We also learned al ot about slavery and personal lives of the Jackson's and servants as well.

The wall paper in the house is the most amazing I have ever seen. It's the largest collection of Jacksonian-era wall paper in the country, and it's breathtaking. I said they should make reproductions :)

After the house, we explored the smokehouse, kitchen, slave homes, log cabins and other areas of the grounds. We also took an extra hike to an archeological camp that is explored every year for slave evidence. It was so great to learn about the people - all types of people - who lived here to make it one fo the most successful plantations i the world.

We also visited the graveyard, and paid our dues to Mr. and Mrs Jackson. The gift shop features a nice array of Jackson goods and crafts too. There is also a restaurant, but we didn't eat there.

A really great visit - for young and old. It was one of the most education experiences I've had a living history museum!!

4 Thank iyamsarah
Tennessee
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 148 helpful votes
“An outstanding afternoon trip”
Reviewed December 27, 2006

I've been to the Hermitage a couple of times, once with my wife and most recently, with my daughter's 4th grade class. The museum is outstanding. If you want to learn about Jackson and his impact on America, make sure and see the video before you proceed to the house and grounds. The home itself has been beautifully preserved. Be careful about touching the walls though. Also, don't miss walking the grounds, especially the garden. The tomb where Andrew and Rachel are buried is beautiful.

2 Thank Joel M