“Beautiful restoration of an historical site”

Andrew Jackson's Hermitage
Andrew Jackson's Hermitage General Admission
Ranked #6 of 257 things to do in Nashville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson, is one of the largest and most visited presidential homes in the United States, and recently named the #1 historic house in Tennessee. Today, The Hermitage is a 1,120-acre National Historic Landmark with over 30 historic buildings, that welcomes some 200,000 annual visitors, including 30,000 schoolchildren, from all 50 states and many foreign countries. Visit Andrew Jackson's Hermitage this fall and holiday season to witness "The Duel: The Art of the Southern Gentleman." This 30-minute new visitor experience will answer questions about dueling followed by an ACTUAL demonstration by our historic re-enactors. “The Duel” takes place every Thursday through Sunday throughout the day, free with paid admission.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The Ladies' Hermitage Association has developed this historic home and grounds since 1889 and they have done an excellent job. I came on the "Battle of New Orleans" Day which is Jan. 8 and the admission was free. The mansion is absolutely beautiful and the grounds are very well kept and the signage provides an excellent self-guided tour. A highlight of the day was meeting Andrew and Rachel Jackson as they strolled the grounds!
The only problem I encountered was the very large crowd that day made the tour through the mansion a little rushed. There was a wreath laying ceremony at the Jacksons' tomb which was very well done with the National Anthem sung by an active military woman and taps played by a Vietnam veteran. Author Jon Meacham, writer of Andrew Jackson, American Lion and the new Thomas Jefferson biography spoke at the ceremony. The orientation film in the Visitor Center was good also. The museum had lots of authentic pieces and the store had a wide variety of items. They were out of the Hermitage Guidebook, and I ordered it from their website after I got home. It contains really nice photos and a brief history of Jackson, his family and The Hermitage.

1  Thank Sally M

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Loved our visit to The Hermitage. Learned a lot and had fun. Spring for the horse drawn carriage ride that takes you out to what were the plantation grounds.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Every city I visit, I try to tour an old home. Lucky me!! The Hermitage was only 20 minutes from our downtown hotel. The tour starts in the museum and is self guided with a headset. I wish I'd spent more time in there, but we were on a schedule. I was equipped with a map of the grounds with numbered points that corresponded with numbered files to listen to on the headset. That was perfect. The house was amazing, the tour inside was great. The garden was mostly cleared since it was fall but I can only imagine how beautiful it is in the spring and summer. Since we ran out of time, I didn't get to see the rest of the grounds. Will I go again? Yes!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed The Hermitage. There is interesting movie about Jackson and his rise from military career to President. The audio headsets, included with price of tour, were a nice amenity. I find it more relaxing, sometimes, to listen to narrative than read the extensive signage. I particularly enjoyed the audio bits about Andrew's wife Rachel. The tour of the house itself was done by guides. There are extensive grounds and a garden to explore, which would have been better on a less rainy day than what we experienced. There is an informative little museum in the Visitor Center. Highly recommend.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

This place is full of history and it amazes me that the staff of the Hermitage have kept the place in such great shape. The thing I love the most about the plantation is it offers a self guided tour with audio (optional). They also have a carriage ride (for an additional cost) that takes out out back and shows you where the slaves used to reside. Though the homes are no longer standing, you can see the foundation. Pretty sobering! The exhibits are incredible and they almost make you feel like you've stepped back in time.