“Beautiful, inspiring”
Review of The Parthenon

The Parthenon
Ranked #48 of 260 things to do in Nashville
More attraction details
Owner description: Standing as the centerpiece in Nashville's Centennial Park, the Parthenon is a full scale replica of the Parthenon in Athens, Greece. Come inside to see the 42-foot gilded sculpture of Athena, the permanent display of American paintings from the Cowan Collection, the history of the Nashville Parthenon dating back to the 1897 Tennessee Centennial Exposition, and a variety of temporary shows and exhibitions! The entrance is located on the ground level of the East side of the building.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This museum was great for my husband and I. The paintings inside are very beautiful. I was expecting a bit more of them, but they were very nice (and the price of admission is very low, so I can't be upset). The piece de resistance would have to be the statue of Athena on the 2nd floor. My 2-year-old "said" it best as he squealed/screamed with delight when he saw it. It's easy to just stand and stare at it and made it worth the trip.

Our kids (5 and 2) did get bored with the paintings though, that section just wasn't for them.

The cost is $6/adults, $4/children (our 2 year old was free)
There is free parking available in the park.

1  Thank MelRoseC
Write a ReviewReviews (3,479)
All reviews
in 40 reviews
"on display"
in 43 reviews

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Fabulous created replica of Parthenon and much more attractive than seeing original as is as the original was ORIGINALLY! Have toured it twice on both trips to Nashville in my life so could share with 12 year old son 5 years ago than more recently with an adult son.The Details are awesome. A must whether you've been to Greece or not!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I love ancient Greek mythology so this was an absolute treat for me. To be honest with you, I had no idea that this place even existed until I saw the movie Percy Jackson and the Olympians a couple of years ago. After I saw that, I knew that I had to see this. There is a cost associated if you go inside. If you are just going to spend an afternoon in the park, there is not charge which is nice. The downstairs area has a lot of paintings and it gives you a brief history of Centennial park. If you are in to art, there are some nice oil paintings here. This was neat but I was mainly there to view the inside of the Parthenon.

Once inside, this thing is massive. High ceilings, large columns, doors, etc. I look at things like this not through the eyes of today, but of what it would have taken to build a structure like this in ancient Greece. I know that's not the case here but sorry, that's just how I view this kind of stuff. The Athena statue was nice, but the paint kind of threw me off. I am accustomed to seeing these statues as rock/stone only, no color. Once I got over that, they did a great job with the gold and details.

I enjoyed myself but this is not everyone's cup of tea. Even in my family, some were like "Is that it?". I said, "Yup". I can now say that I've walked inside the Parthenon (sort of)

2  Thank BigE5150
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Located in Centennial Park. It's nice to walk the path around the park, and feed the ducks on the lake. The Parthenon itself is pretty impressive. Originally built as a temporary exhibit for the Tennessee Centennial, it was kept as a permanent attraction.