“FUN living history”

$39.00*
Nashville Trolley Tour
Ranked #22 of 255 things to do in Nashville
More attraction details
Owner description: Standing as the centerpiece in Nashville's Centennial Park, the Parthenon is a full scale replica of the Parthenon in Athens, Greece. Come inside to see the 42-foot gilded sculpture of Athena, the permanent display of American paintings from the Cowan Collection, the history of the Nashville Parthenon dating back to the 1897 Tennessee Centennial Exposition, and a variety of temporary shows and exhibitions! The entrance is located on the ground level of the East side of the building.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed July 29, 2011

If you are in Nashville and a history aficionado, this is the place to visit! The Parthenon is huge, and simply stunning to behold. It can easily whisk you away to another time and place!

Inside on the lower level is the history of why it was built as well as a rather random art gallery that has nothing to do with anything. Odd but pretty as it was fun to just take in the air conditioning and the art.

Upstairs is not air conditioned but its very cool. The huge Athena really puts the previous worship in scale and is fascinating.

Overall, I think the cost of entry ($20.00 for two adults and two younger kiddos) wasn't too bad. I doubt we will visit again... at least not until the kids start studying ancient mythology.

2  Thank murkey

Reviewed July 24, 2011

Great place for pictures and view the architecture! As for going in to the museum.. it was okay. The history of how it came about was interesting and to see the pictures was great.

But then there is an art gallery - which is fine- but if I wanted to see art I would prefer to go to an art museum... The second level where the statue of Athena is interesting - they have molds of the pieces that have been used for the structure and its statues....even though the main statue is impressive in size - I was disappointed in the fact that it is now gold gilded and has a painted face. This statue looks more like it is from India descent / or within that area then Greek mythology....

If you are going I would just stay on the outside and view the amazing building,...if you want to see the inside - there are pictures online...

Just my opinion....

Reviewed July 14, 2011

Perhaps my impression of what was inside the grand building was too high. From outside it is magnificent! The architecture, scenery, location are all excellent. I had been here one time before but arrived too late and it was closed so I was excited to come back and go in. We got there a little after 4pm and was informed admission was half price since they were closing soon. OK, so we went straight to the top floor where Athena is. This area is NOT air-conditioned which I understand, it was crowded and people let their kid run in every direction, step in front of whomever is taking pictures, etc. I was not overly impressed with Athena. Yes, it is a massive stature but due to the circumstances surrounding out visit I would have saved my money. Again, this is just my opinion and experience. I hope others will enjoy it more.

3  Thank Laurie D
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Having grown up in the area I was interested to return with my Latin student teenage daughter. It takes a lot to impress her these days but this place did the trick. To see something that she had studied recreated in such exacting detail was a real treat for us both. The statue of Athena was the most amazing of all. I would almost put this in the same category as the Lincoln Memorial in terms of scale and wonderment. Be sure to give your self time to stroll the museum and look at the history of the recreation. The surrounding park is lovely and there are some cool areas to shop in the surrounding area. This is a Music City "don't miss"

2  Thank Kybloom
Reviewed July 8, 2011

This is a must see in Nashville, TN. The full scale replical of Greek Parthenon is in the Centennial Park, right by the side of Vanderbilt campus. The city musuem inside is superb too, depicting Nashville's history, and specially the huge statue of Athena on the top floor is really surprise! The park with a lake behind is always alive with activities. (By the way, Nashville is also called 'Athens of the Greece', for its so many higher educational institutions, and Athena is the goddess of wisdom).

1  Thank faiz208