“A true gem of Nashville!!”

Historic Travellers Rest Plantation & Museum
Ranked #60 of 258 things to do in Nashville
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Travellers Rest Plantation & Museum celebrates the history of early Nashville. The home, built by Judge John Overton, was completed in 1799 - just three years after Tennessee became a state. The home is furnished with period and family pieces all dating to the 1830s or earlier.
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Highly recommended site! Took the tour and visited the grounds and museum. It was truly great all around. I got a personal tour of the house so I asked all the questions I wanted and the guide was extremely knowledgable. Every question I asked was answered way better than I expected (and I thought I was the History buff). If you are looking for something more relaxed and less rushed than Belle Meade I recommend this (and also Belmont Mansion). All three, of course, are great to see.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Last time I was there was with my family had a picnic on the grounds and viewed the house. Got to see where grandma Emaline and her 9 children lived.Great memories.

1  Thank smcook2
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Very knowledgeable staff in period costumes. This was an important a part of civil war history that we had not heard about before. The battle of Nashville took place on this plantation. The tour guide told of how the families of Nashville were related through marriage and how the house had been headquarters for both sides. The newly opened museum had artifacts that the others did not. Very interesting.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Was worth the trip. Had a blast. We hang out with Ellen for quite a while and she knows her history.

1  Thank Tim K
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I so loved visiting the grounds of Travelers Rest and experiencing the staff at this historical landmark. It is wonderful that Travelers Rest represents the historical South and fairly shows the life and times prior to and after the Civil War. The hospitality of the staff was exception and I enjoyed them very much.