“Good location. Poor Customer Service”

Courtyard Nashville Vanderbilt/West End
Ranked #42 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
Laguna Niguel, California
“Good location. Poor Customer Service”
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

I am a loyal Marriott customer, have been for over 15 years. However I was very disappointed in the customer service upon check in. After flying all day from CA I pulled in to the parking structure, parked and tried to enter the premises. All the doors required key for entry so I had to walk to the street around the building and j to the entrance. Not a gigantic inconvenience but one nonetheless. When I was greeted I offered a suggestion for improvement via making it visible upon entering the lot you would have to walk down to street level to enter. The front desk lady was quickly defensive and said there is signage and people know. That is not true as I took a photo of entrance and it does not state that. Only says check in with Valet. Her attitude was not appreciated I believe her counterpart recognized she was coming at this wrong and chimed in by saying she would have designed the property differently. Bad start to stay should not have happened based on a very simple suggestion for improvement. I will have to take my business elsewhere in Nashville next time.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Korean first
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We loved this hotel - from the parking (totally easy to find, not sure why there's confusion from other reviewers, and cheap!), to the check in (super quick and very friendly), to the room (comfortable beds, lots of pillows, immaculately clean, smart layout with the sink separate from the rest of the bathroom). We found it an easy walk to the main bar area - maybe a 20 minute walk that felt safe the entire time. We'll stay here again on our next trip.

Room Tip: If you've got a couple of folks getting ready at the same time, ask for a room with the sink are...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JonandSal
Chicago
Reviewed May 20, 2013

With no signage before you pull into self park tower, the sign above the ticket dispenser says you have to check with valet before entering. So, then you get to back your car up (with others behind you incredibly annoyed) and go in a big circle to get to the valet/check in. When you check in they tell you that you need your key to enter garage to self park. Good to know. The hotel is just as the others describe it which will be fine, but seriously need to rethink this process. Sets a bad tone right off the bat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed May 16, 2013

That is top 3 criteria for a hotel for business. i'm not looking for a luxury spa.
This location is great, the staff were helpful and the hotel was just right. Very comfortable room. I'd stay again. Valet park your car to avoid parking hassles.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
arkansas
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Comfortable, clean and convenient - a recent stay at the newly updated Courtyard offered all three and more. Our room with a small balcony overlooking the pool was clean, fresh smelling with all the amenties, remote, coffee maker, etc. in working order. The standard room had two queen beds, both very comfortable, I can offer no comment on the pillows as I travel with my own. Each bed had it's own lamp with a built-in power outlet always a plus. A work station area with more outlets made powering up a breeze. This area also had a comforable work chair and an expandable desk which provided plenty of surface for spreading out. After a lengthy car ride the strong water pressure and adjustable head in the shower was just the thing to revive and refresh.The vanity area is separated by a door from the toilet and tub/shower - a good thing anytime but especially when sharing a room.

The staff - front desk, valet and maid service were all friendly, courteous and helpful. The design of the hotel provides numerous sitting or conversation areas if traveling with a group and need a place to hang out. There is a daily charge for parking but no in and out fees. The location is convenient to Music Row, the Ryman Theater, the Parthenon and several college campuses including Vanderbilt University with the hotel providing a free shuttle to locations within a 3 mile radius.

I enjoyed my stay, recommend it for others and will stay here again if the opportunity arises..

Room Tip: ask for a room with an "open" balcony
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Marlborough, Connecticut
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Hotel has been recently updated. Rooms are clean. Couch could be more comfortable. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance. Closet door broke and front desk had maintenance up within minutes. Shuttle will take you anywhere within 3 miles of hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I had a negative experience at a Marriott a few years ago and haven't been back since that experience. I was spending the weekend in Nashville and booked this room based on what was available at the time and the price I wanted to pay. I admit I was reluctant to come back after dealing with some of their staff last time. My husband and I stayed here for a Friday and Saturday night in May 2013.

The property has a good location. There are many restaurants and bars within a very short walk from here. I had a fantastic breakfast at one of them. We walked to the downtown area as well - it was about a mile and a half and not a bad walk, but we love walking on vacations. It's how you really see the city!

The lobby was nice, there was a 24/7 café where you could grab some food, coffee and drinks. Hotel prices for food are always high and this was no exception. We did not get anything here but I always appreciate the possibility if I should want something.

The room was very nice. The room was clean (I am extremely worried about staying places with bed bugs - never have but don't want there to be a first time!) and roomy. Our view was awful but I don't go somewhere to look out the window in my hotel. The bed, as all Marriott beds usually are, was very comfortable. The pillows were not to either my or my husband's tastes, but they did give us 4 pillows that weren't the same so you at least have some options. We were in a room right outside of the elevator and at first I was completely disappointed because I thought the noise of people getting on and off the elevator would disturb us but it didn't.

Here is where this property lost it's potential 5th star - the parking situation. When we first arrived we valeted since we still needed to check in before we could self park in the garage. Valet parking is $22/day and self parking is $16. We checked in, had zero conversation about the parking, and went to our room. Later when we left and needed to drive to the Opry, we told the valet we were going to self park when we got back. He said that was fine but we would need this ticket from the front desk in order to park (to display in the window). My husband went back inside, got the ticket and away we went. When we got back, it was much colder than when we had left and it was raining. We attempted to get into the garage (you have to swipe your room key) and could not get in but the valet buzzed us in. We had to park on the 3rd level and beware, these spaces are TIGHT and we have a compact car! We tried to enter all the doors in the parking garage to the hotel and our keys didn't work. We had to walk all the way around the garage to get back to the lobby and we were freezing since the temperature had significantly dropped since we had left. We went to the front desk and my husband told the SAME woman who gave him the ticket to park what had happened. She proceeded to tell us that we were supposed to have been told when we checked in that we had to declare how we were going to park (no one asked a single thing about parking when we checked in) and she said at least 3 times during her spiel that she was not the person who had checked us in (which we were well aware of). She then proceeded to act as if it was our fault that we did not know that they had to activate our keys for the garage on check in. She spoke to us in both a rude and accusatory tone. We tried to explain again that this was not told to us. Both my husband and I had to bite our tongues - the customer is always right. Even when the customer is not right (we were right in this particular situation), the customer is always right. A business should never, ever blame the customer. She finally fixed our keys and we went on our way. Neither my husband nor I appreciate the way we have been treated by certain staff at Marriotts. Marriott must have a problem hiring people that understand that an unhappy customer not only doesn't come back, they now blog about their negative experiences. I work hard for my money and when I am on vacation I prefer to not be scolded by staff of places I am staying at. I have stayed in many places around the world and the only places we have encountered staff like this have been at Marriotts. (Dear Marriott, this particular employee was working the late Friday night shift at the front desk)

The Saturday night we stayed I was woken up at 2:30am by a hotel guest SCREAMING at management in the hallway. I know she was yelling at management because she kept shrieking "YOU ARE MANAGEMENT!!!!". I ended up calling the front desk and telling them they needed to take care of that and they said they had security on it - the screaming stopped about 5 minutes later, but not early enough for me to not be wide awake after that.

The remainder of the stay was pleasant. Check out was easy and the rest of the staff there was great. The valets were always friendly and said hi to us as did the guys carrying the luggage for other guests.

Since this is now the second time I have stayed at a Marriott with rude staff, I won't be going back to them (I am also guessing the woman who was screaming on our floor won't be back either!). Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I would be a fool to try to spend my hard earned dollars at another Marriott only to get scolded by another staff member. There are too many other hotels out there to stay at for that to happen again to us! I do find that unfortunate for them because their properties are nice and comfortable, but I just can't deal with inappropriate staff.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple