“Smelled like stale smoke”
Review of Sleep Inn

Sleep Inn
Ranked #68 of 159 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I booked a stay here with my daughter because where I usually stay is a non smoking hotel and she smokes. The desk clerk was really nice. Even commented as I was checking in that "I didn't smell like smoke and the rooms really did". Not in my wildest dream could I have known what I was in for! We were on 2nd floor so we left our window open the whole time. Also had to take a trip to Wal Mart to get some room deodorizer. Woke up during the night and had to spray more. I am not talking like the 99 cent "air freshener" either. I will say the beds were comfortable and the breakfast was just about the best I have ever had in a hotel. I couldn't believe it. But the bathrooms were not real clean. Had to ask for coffee and more towels and we only stayed 1 night! Send corporate a letter suggesting maybe they could let the rooms air out a little since the windows open. Oh and even before we opened the windows we could hear music. There is a bar nearby that had a band playing outside that we could hear.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

My husband works in Nashville 3-4 day a week so we were trying to find a safe and somewhat affordable place for him to stay when in town. The maids there are awesome and most helpful. (the only pro) the owners are arrogant and will not admit fault in any situation. I've overheard people complaining at the desk about being overcharged on their debit cards by hundreds! Somehow the owners will turn it around on the customers. I even heard the male owner screaming at a lady o e day about her being responsible for being overcharged! At our last stay, the pool inspector was closing the pool, she called the water "filthy!" The hallway and room carpet is so filthy i had to bring houseshoes for us all or else our feet was black! We brought our own sheets and pillows due to the stains. The walls are gross and dirty, the shower leaks onto the floor. We used this hotel 3 nights per week for over a month. My husband has very expensive commercial lawn equipment and we always tried to park near our room. On this night there were no close spots. Sometime during the night, someone stole my husbands commercial trailer with all of his equipment on the trailer. We went down to speak with staff only to find there are no cameras outside at all! We had already pd for the next few nights so we stayed. I was out by the pool alone when a man came out and exposed his private area to me!!! I was horrified! The back door from the outside into the hotel does not lock even at night. During a recent stay, someone came into a ladies window while she was out. This is a very scary and unsafe place!!! And if something does happen to you there, don't expect any help from the owners. The comfort suites next door seems to be a better option but the whole area is sketchy! There's a loud bar playing live music into the night in the adjoining lot. Just save your money and valuables by going elsewhere! I'm shocked they have such good reviews, must be the breakfast....which is decent.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Accentlawns
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We've stayed at this Sleep Inn before and thought it was "okay" as reflected in an earlier review. However this most recent trip saw some problems and issues that make it doubtful we will be back.

Most seriously, our door -- for room 302 -- would not lock on a consistent basis as we were leaving the room. At one point in our stay we just had to leave it unsecured. Fortunately we had nothing but casual clothes in the room, and nothing was bothered. We reported this to the fellow at the front desk who assured us the maintenance man would look at it when he got in. As we were going to be away for the day, we left our phone number and asked that we be called if it proved not possible to fix the lock so that we could arrange to change rooms. Well, we never received a call, and when we went back to the room it was still unlocked with no evidence that maintenance had made any attempt to fix it (or even look at it). Fortunately, we could lock it from the inside, and as we were only staying one more night, we decided not to pursue the issue any further.

Other things: The toliet tank was slow to fill, and the valves need replacing. I had to "help it along" to flush a couple of times by filling up the ice bucket with water from sink and pouring it in the tank. Also, the shower door is apparently not sealing very well when closed or perhaps is not aligned properly, as there was quite a bit of water on the bathroom floor when either of us finished taking a shower. It's not like we're slobs who don't know how to take a shower without making a mess; we do so all the time at home. And when it came time to check out, there was a long line and backup at the front desk because -- of course -- "the computers are down."

On the positive side, there were cookies in the afternoon and some hot selections for breakfast. And the young people manning the front desk tried to be helpful and have a good atttitude, and I sensed that they were as frustrated about certain issues with their employer as I was with their hotel.

Overall, there just seems to be a lack of concern here about the quality of the property. We chose it because it was priced right and thought we would be okay with a Choice brand hotel. Next time we're in the area, we'll have to explore other options.

Room Tip: Well, certainly not room 302.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank gaken
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This hotel needs lots of work. The hallways smell like smoke really bad!! the carpet is stained and nasty. The smoking rooms are across the hall from the non-smoking rooms. We got booked into a smoking room because we did not specify that we wanted a nonsmoking room. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. They was no where that it asked me when I made our reservation that asked a smoking preference. Me and my son both suffer with allergies and I had a migraine by 10pm. The staff seemed unconcerned and kept telling me it was my fault because I didn't say that I wanted a non-smoking room when I made my reservation. I didn't have an iron in my room and when I requested that brought me one that didn't work. I requested several times to be moved to a nonsmoking room if it came available and they called me the first night saying one was going to be available the next night. When I went to the front desk the next morning they had no idea what I was talking about. I will never return to this Sleep Inn or any other Sleep Inn!!!! All the hotels in the area were booked or I would have moved even if I had to pay more for another hotel.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Becky C
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We had booked 3 rooms for us and friends. We booked 4 nights and checked out after 1 night. At some time before 1am, I was awakened by a call from the front desk. The man said, "I'm sorry. Nevermind. I found the registratio." Around 1am, someone attempted to get in our room. Luckily we had it latched so the door couldn't open. Someone was given a key to our room!

The next morning, after breakfast, our keys did not work for our room. The folks at the front desk said that nobody was in our room. We showed them our keys with the room number written on it. They didn't have much of an answer but re-keyed our room.

I then checked the bank account and noticed that we were charged for 4 rooms - 2 of which were at a higher rate than what was agreed. We contacted the corporate office and they asked to speak to someone at the front desk. The person at the front desk denied everything.

Corporate said that we could not file a complaint until we were checked out...so we checked out and went to Comfort Suites next door (who, by the way, were very friendly and accommodating).

Upon checkout, we were told that nobody was booked in our room. We had to convince them that we actually did stay in our room overnight.

At present, one of our friends is now handling over-charges of approximately $700.

Room Tip: Bathrooms only have showers. If you have babies or young children that still take baths, you may wa...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This hotel was one hassle after another! I chose this hotel after reading the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. Obviously things have changed recently. I booked my room using Credit Card Reward points and arrived at the Sleep Inn yesterday afternoon. The desk clerk acknowledged my reward redemption & also asked for my drivers license & a credit card. Checking into my room I realized that I was next to the exterior exit door which I was told did not lock at night. None of the exit doors were locked at night! I immediately asked for another room and was given a new room on the 3rd floor. My reservation was for a King non-smoking room but when I moved to the new room it was 2 doubles which the desk clerk failed to mention. The room was relatively clean, a/c cold and everything seemed Ok except the phone did not work at all and I was unable to connect to the WiFi. I went to the lobby and informed the desk clerk (also requested a box of kleenex since none were in the room, a minor problem but since I was at the desk anyway). The desk clerk said that someone would take care of it. I had a meeting to attend and left. Arriving back at the hotel at 9 pm, nothing had been resolved & still no WiFi. The biggest hassle started the next morning at 7 am when I went to the front desk to turn in my key and get a receipt. I was told that my credit card had been declined. What was being charged on my card? The desk clerk informed me they were charging the room to my card. 30 minutes later, the issue is still the declined credit card and not that they were charging 5,500 reward points while trying to charge my credit card the full rate of the room. The card was declined by AmEx because my drivers license & credit card have 2 addresses, an issue that would have been pointed out at check in if I had been paying for the room with the CC. Thank goodness it was declined or I would be going through the hassle of filing a dispute over the charge on my credit card. I asked for the manager & was told he did not arrive until 10 am. I had to get on the road, so I left and called back after 10 am. I spoke to the assistant manager and was told that it was not their fault, repeatedly and that it was "the fault of the Reward Card booking agency". The situation was not resolved to my satisfaction. No apologies for my inconveneince were offered and I was not given points on the Hotel Rewards Card Program which I should have been since I was not using Hotel Reward Points but VISA Credit Card Reward Points. I will not be staying at this hotel on future trips to the Nashville area.

Room Tip: If you decide to take your chances and stay at this hotel, request a 3rd floor room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Perfect place for our 6 day stay during the 2012 CMA Music Fest. We required an accessible room, which was provided and suited our needs perfectly. Morning breakfast (complimentary) was excellent. Short drive early each AM to LP Field each day for our activities, returned home late each night, so not a lot of time spent at the hotel and didn't have time to take advantage of the pool, fitness room, etc. Only one negative: the bathroom does not have ventilation and our whole room would get pretty "wet" feeling with showering....I would prop open the bathroom door to try and vent some and we had to turn down the AC significantly to try and dry out the room, which seemed to help a lot. Excellent service while we were here! Wonderful stay, and would certainly stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Accessible room 104 had a large roll-in shower for wheelchairs, and good bath bench with the necessa...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family