“would not go back” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
Shady Side, United States
“would not go back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

The hotel looked horrible from the outside, and yes I knew ahead of time that some construction would be going on, but to this extent? I think we should have been compensated on the cost of the room to reflect the hotel. Also we were told that half of the elevators weren't working so we'd have to walk on the other side of the hotel to use, or could use the stairs...up to the 7th floor. We past many other hotels to get to this one, and I'll make sure we try one of the others next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

DNorman-GM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Nashville - Airport, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. As with most reviews as of late, I am sorry that the renovation so negatively impacted your stay with us. Our elevators have been working properly. There was one week where each only accessed one side of hotel but this was most temporary. Please try us again post renovation. Thanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Allen, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

In the past we have loved Embassy Suites and prefer to stay there for all vacations and road trip stops. Until we reserved rooms at the Embassy Suites Nashville and arrived to find the entire hotel in a mess of construction and REEKING of smoke! Online reservations through their website were unavailable so we reserved and paid for the room through Orbitz--which defaulted to a smoking room without indication--we NEVER stay even close to a smoking room. There were no non-smoking rooms available. I suspect there very few no non-smoking rooms in the entire hotel. We would have left but my parents had already checked in. The manager found us a governor suite room on the smoking floor--a smoking room--which he thought would be clean smelling. It was tolerable until we turned on the AC--after checking in and unloading our bags. As we walked through the hotel, it became obvious that the smoke smell was everywhere in the building--no matter if the room was smoking or non smoking. My wife slept with a wet towel around her face to get through the night. On top of that, the rooms were outdated, the TV didn't work, the sofa bed linens we called for were never delivered. It was a terrible and disappointing experience with Embassy Suites and we will never blindly trust them again for advance reservations. We will look for other comparable hotels with entire no smoking facilities from now on, unless we know we liked staying at the hotel from the past. There should have been warnings of the construction at the airport Nashville location--warnings that TRULY non-smoky rooms were not available during construction. They really should close the hotel until construction is finished.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel until all construction is finished. Even then, do not make advance reserv...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank koto4
DNorman-GM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Nashville - Airport, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
I am sorry that you somehow reserved a smoking room thru Orbitz. I assure you we would have provided a non-smoking room if one had been available upon check-in. We currently have 37 of our 296 suites as smoking suites and they all reside on the third floor. However, I am happy to say we will be going 100% non-smoking upon completion of our renovation. We do have a banner on our brand website noting the work being done in the hotel. I apologize if Orbitz did not make you aware. Please accept my apology and personal invite to return once our renovation is complete.

Travelers are raving about these Nashville hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Very disappointed as they were under some major reconstruction to the front entrance, lobby and interior patio. It would have been nice to have a heads up during reservation in order to skip until it was completed. Sleep sofa in a non smoking room had cigarette burn marks/holes. Normally Embassy exceeds my expectations in service and amenities, but to have loyal guest pay the regular rates for this service is regretful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

1 Thank Obakeiro
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for one night. I was a bit apprehensive about the construction, but it wasn't too much of a problem. The room I stayed at didn't live up to my expectations of a Hilton hotel. The room smelt old and dingy and the carpet looked dirty. I wouldn't even take off my shoes! The bed, however, was comfy enough. Also, if you don't like children, I wouldn't recommend this hotel. There are a lot of children. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't create for a professional enovironment. My stay was average, but I expected much more from a Hilton hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank PrettyInPink101
DNorman-GM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Nashville - Airport, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thanks for the comments. I would be amiss if I didnt say a few of our suite carpets are worn, hence the $12m renovation. What may appear as being unclean is really a matter of just being worn. Certainly the Embassy Suites brand is a great value for families and this is primarily a weekend consideration. Please do come see us again post renovation.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Nasty, stinky room. Asked for an additional towel - never received. Breakfast was missing many items and couldn't carry on a conversation over the unsettling construction noise. The ground floor and entrance is ripped out. The hilton website says that the hotel is going through a refresh. This is more than a refresh. What a ripoff. Do not stay here

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Jsimons22
My apologies
Spartanburg, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

By now you've seen a bunch of reviews slamming this property. How dare they stay open during a renovation, they ask? Well they dare. It's not a perfect situation, but the staff was great...and it really was not a bad stay.

It's the workers I feel for...they're the ones who have to cope with noise all day...and with the people who have been writing the bad reviews. My heart goes out to them since they're probably not thanked enough.

The front entrance is gone...so you enter through a side door to get to a makeshift reception desk. Not ideal as a crowd can gum this up a bit...and construction noise can interfere. Again, the staff has a great attitude.

The rooms are a bit older, the furnishings are a bit worn. My 9th floor room was spotless, however...and the bed was very comfy.

I was attending a conference at another hotel (hey, need my HHonors points...and it saved me a few bucks), so I was out of the hotel during most of the actual construction work. So I was not affected by the inconvenience of noise. I imagine it might be a difficult deal if someone was trying to sleep midday...but really, who's doing that on a weekday?

There are two banks of two elevators. One set is near the front desk, the other set is by the bar/restaurant/breakfast area. So getting to these things is really not difficult.

Standard Embassy Suites manager's reception and breakfast. Did not have the chance to try the bar/restaurant, though.

If you're staying here soon (I heard renovation was supposed be done sometime Oct/Nov.) and you're upset if things aren't "perfect", then go somewhere else. But for a comfortable stay with the amenities you expect with basically minor inconveniences...go for it.

And by Thanksgiving, this place should be back up to a 4 or 5 star review.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I wish I could install a neon sign pointing to your review. Certainly a renovation is tough, no doubt about it. It is tough on the guest experience and as such can be tough on the team members who are here to only make things as pleasant as possible. I appreciate your understanding as we improve the hotel and trust me Suzy at the desk appreciates it as well. A kind word goes quite a long way. Thanks again!
Madison Heights, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We were only at this hotel for 2 nights but it was wonderful.
The pool was a little chilly, but very nice. Our room was clean and comfy. Our daughter slept on the fold out couch and we requested extra pillows and blankets, they were not delivered to us at our request, but we left a note for the maid and they left them for us.
They were under construction while we were there but it never bothered us in the least.

It's out of town, but nice 'cause you didn't have the noise factor that is in town. Even though it's by the airport we never were bothered with air traffic sounds.

I would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the kind words. Glad you had a good time with us and our efforts to help mitigate the renovation aided in your overall stay.