“No Updating”

Ranked #45 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
Knoxville
“No Updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

I used to stay at this hotel a lot on business about two-three years ago. I always stayed in a different room each time. At some point I realized that most of the room accommodations were shabby and not always as clean as they should be. Rooms could contain any or all of these issues: stains on carpets, chairs and couches. bathrooms with mildew on the shower curtains and thin towels. Even the breakfast buffet areas were looking dirty and "tired". I began to stay elsewhere. Last year I thought I would give it a try again even though I checked these reviews and saw that other people found the same problems I did. No improvements had been made. Today (a year later) I needed to make a reservation and thought I would check the reviews to see if they have updated and improved on their issues. Apparently not. I am seeing the same comments and same management responses and excuses. Clearly there has not been an investment on a much needed major updating of this hotel. What a shame because it has so much potential to be a really great hotel. I will make my reservation at another Hilton property.

Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
DNorman-GM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Nashville - Airport, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Thanks for your review. I appreciate your feedback and do hope you will try us again soon. David Norman, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
windsor, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

rooms were nice very roomy breakfast was good lots of choices lines long if not at the right times managers reception good good music line up for free drinks should have limits on drinks staff very helpful elevator stuck with pppl in it 2 times good location to opryland and nashville right inbetween would stay again

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Glad you enjoyed your time with us. Come see us again! David Norman, General Manager
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

First off, the manager on duty tonight 12/26/2011 @ 10:25 PM deserves a war medal for valor. I checked in and listened to her politely greet each patron while the front desk phone was ringing off the hook. We checked in and proceeded to the indoor pool with our 15 month old.
Upon arrival we noticed no clean towels. After some scavengering we found 2. There are three of us mind you. We take a swim in the MOST FREEZING INDOOR POOL IN TENNESSEE. After watching our son's 5 teeth start to chatter, get out and dry off with our 2 towels (which I then realized were dirty). Now freezing we head back to the room to take hot showers to warm up and get the towel filth off. After getting out of the shower we notice again that we only have 2 towels in the room. IT'S A SUITE! My reservation was for three people. At this point I'm wet and pissed. I call the front desk only to realize I'm now one of the people who is in the other end of the non-stop ringing lobby phone. I call every extension. Nothing.
At this point I call 800-Embassy where I am told in broken English (I believe this Indian Lady's name was Martha Washington, that I needed to be transfered since I'm only a lowly Silver Reward member and not Platinum. After getting someone else, I explained my plight (by this time my wife realized there weren't extra linens for the extra bed).
After hanging up with the gentleman who serves us lowly Silver Members I receive a call from my front desk hero mentioned above. After speaking with her I realized that there are only 3 people working tonight and she is standing in as manager.
I'm sitting here writing this under a blanket that should have been in the room before I got here. We all have dry hair from the towels that should have been here while I'm realizing that this location just plain sucks.
As a recap, when corners get cut, customers with a choice exercise that right and stay other places. I would not be surprised to find out in a year that this location was under new management.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Jjoyce1976
Needless to say I cannot apologize enough for your stay with us. Now and again Murphy's Law raises his ugly head and it seems we make too many mistakes. Certainly we can do much better than what you experienced. I like to extend an apologetic hand and offer to stay with us again for a complimentary stay. I ensure we are much better than that you experienced. You were with us during the Christmas holiday and the hotel is generally slower during this period so normally less staff is needed as we have much fewer guests in the hotel. It is clear we made errors in the proper stafiing levels during your stay with us. Please accept my apologies. David Norman, General Manager
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

Standard Embassy Suite, but my kids loved the Birds in the lobby. Breakfast was ok, but both times I stayed here, seemed to be a lot of "rif-raff" at the buffet bar (i.e., a little chaotic; post wedding party crowd).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Glad your kids enjoyed our two feathered friendly birds in our atrium. I hate to hear that you encountered any chaos during our manager's reception, and will be sure we better monitor moving forward. David Norman, General Manager
Newport, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2011

This hotel was in a great location for my meeting. The staff was nice and helpful. However, the rooms need updating. It looks like it has been quite a while since a good remodel job has been done.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
I appreciate your feedback. Glad our staff made a difference with you, and I assure you we will continue to monitor the overall quality of our hotel including future renovation plans. David Norman, General Manager
Henderson, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

The rooms were nice. The free breakfast was horrible and you had to wait in a long line to even eat. The line to have your omlet freshly made was even longer!! Also we had to use our room towels for the pool because there were no towels in the pool area. So we were out of towels in the room as they only give you two per room. When we requested more towels it took about 3 1/2 hours and four to five phone calls to get more. I was literally stuck in the bath waiting on the delivery of towels to our room and ended up drying off with the blow dryer. :( Also i highly suggest asking if there are any events going on during your stay!! They had a wedding which made it so crowded and hard to even get to the pool area as you had to wade through the wedding crowd in your pool attire. Once we got into the pool area there was a kids birthday party that was very loud and crowded the pool area. also the free drinks in the evening were fine if you want to wait in a 20 minute line each time you got a drink. They obviously need to have more help available for guest to help make the stay pleasurable. Oh yah and the pillows were terrible, even my eight year old had a hard time sleeping.... On a positive note the rooms were nice, having tvs in bedroom and living room. The staff was very friendly :)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank melisa p
I hate to hear that your first stay with us wasnt as it should have been. It sounds as if you arrived on a very busy weekend, and as with most Embassy Suites, things can get a bit hectic with large weekend crowds. We constantly look at ways to handle the large crowds at breakfast and our manager's reception, and I am sorry that we did not better so so while you were with us. Please make note of my name and call me on a return trip. I would like the opportunity to make a much better first impression. David Norman, General Manager
Jacksonville, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

Reading all of the reviews, this hotel seems to be very hit or miss. I have stayed at this location twice, almost exactly a year apart. The first stay was great. The room was clean and recently renovated. However, the most recent stay was disappointing. The room seemed to be "half renovated." The beds were comfortable and seemed new, the furniture in the bedroom was new, yet the carpet and the furniture in the sitting area was old. The bathroom was in desperate need of work. The ceiling was falling apart in some places and the door had a bunch of paint chips. I am only 5' 10", and I barely fit under the shower head. Perhaps the worst problem of the stay were the bugs in the bathroom. When we first walked in to the room and turned the bathroom light on, we noticed one bug on the floor in the bathroom and killed it. We probably found another one every five minutes for the next hour, but then never saw another. They were only in the bathroom as well. When we checked out we told the receptionist and she seemed genuinely concerned, so hopefully something was done about this. So, from the first stay to the second a year later, the quality seems to differ by room.

The good thing is that there are several good things that are always consistent. The omelet cook at the breakfast bar deserves some kind of an award. He is always hilarious, friendly, and cooks the omelets perfectly and with a smile. The lobby is always beautiful and clean, and the staff are always friendly.

All being said, I wouldn't necessarily avoid this hotel, but their are better options in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family