“Mammoth but manageable”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #47 of 159 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed March 11, 2007

Gaylord Opryland isn't a regular hotel. It's a megaresort plunked down in middle America, and -- minus the gambling and the implied hedonism -- much like a Las Vegas superhotel. It's massive and self-contained, which isn't going to suit the majority of travelers. And it's not there for the world traveler, either.

Given that, it's an above-average place. It's clean to the point of fastidious; an early-morning walk revealed several workers hosing down, then hand-wiping some concrete stairs. And early morning is a good time to experience it; noon and later brings hordes of visitors. This is a destination for day and weekend tours, drawn to its location near the Grand Ole Opry and its non-gaming appeal. (You'll usually find a few Christian-travel tourist buses in the parking lot.)

Most of the renovation work cited in previous reviews is completed. The furnishing taste runs more to kindly rich Gradma with an antebellum eye, but it's certainly not uncomfortable. There are natural-stone countertops in the bathroom, along with single-cup coffemaker and plenty of towels.

Housekeeping isn't going to be by 10 a.m. sharp everyday, although mine was finished by noon when I'd stop in before lunch. No dust-bunnies under the bed, and linens/towels were changed daily.

The massive numbers of people moving through the Gaylord Opryland may cause some jams at times, although it took me less than three minutes at check-in and again at check-out. The staff also seemed to be doing a good job of moving large-group check-ins to a separate lobby or, in the case of some tours, to another entrance entirely.

Eating is not cheap, but that's something at any kind of self-contained resort. The top steak at the Old Hickory Steakhouse runs $44 (with another $6 to $8 each for salad or potato), but it's not all like that; Findlay's Irish Pub is certainly not sliced right out of Dublin, but nearly all the entrees are under $13 including potato and grilled vegetable, and a large house salad is only $2.50 more.

Breakfast isn't as good; the only restaurant offering sit-down food is the buffet (Rachel's Kitchen) and, besides smoked salmon and a made-to-order omelet/waffle bar, is pretty standard (and by European hot-food standards, smallish) breakfast buffet that's really overpriced. It's a 15-minute walk off the property to the usual interstate-exit fare of Shoney's or Cracker Barrel.

The service is almost overwhelming. Bell staff and restaurant workers almost go into overload praising the place, but it's pervasive throughout -- when I stepped into a hallway and asked for the location of the nearest ice machine, I was personally escorted by two maintenance workers on their way to work on light fixtures elsewhere in the hotel.

This is not a place for someone looking for the quiet little hotel or B & B, nor for the value traveler. It's a created destination with huge areas placed under glass and stuffed with vegetation and water features. I came for a convention and certainly found it more-comfortable and -convenient than plenty of other places. I probably wouldn't return for personal travel, based on my own tastes, but I'd certainly return if business brought me here.

3  Thank PS_Emerson

Reviewed March 11, 2007

Went to Nashville for a convention and stayed at the Gaylord Opryland. It was like being on a cruise, with acres of amenities and activities, but quite isolated from the real Nashville. The tropical atriums were unreal, an oasis amid the bleak wintry Tennesee landscape, but I got out of the resort as much as possible to enjoy the spring sunshine.

The resort is about 10 mi. from downtown Nashville, adjacent to the Grand Ole Opry and the Opry Mills Mall (both owned by Gaylord) to which they run a free shuttle, but luckily I rented a car so was able to go to town more freely. Hotel shuttle is $14 to the Wildhorse Saloon (Gaylord owned - surprise!) but last trip back is 10 or 11pm, just when the Honky Tonks on Broadway get going.

The only disappointment was that the pool and hottub are on the far side of the property from rooms nearest the convention center, although they have a locker room, I didn't want make the 5-10 minute trek back dripping wet.

I agree with other posts that it was a fun experience on the company's tab, but I would stay in town if it were up to me. Worth a looky-loo if you're visiting, but it's very similar to their other Gaylord convention centers in Texas and Florida, not uniquely Nashville at all.

4  Thank thai2007
Reviewed March 3, 2007

I stayed at the Gaylord for a convention Feb 28th thru March 2nd. Prior to my departure I called the Gaylord and requested an early check in. I arrived at 10:00 a.m. and they did have my room ready for me. My room was in the Cascade's area and the room did not look worn at all. I was worried after reading many negative reviews. The hotel itself is magnicient in size. I timed myself and it took me eight minutes to get from my room to the convention center. The rooms are smaller than most of the hotels I stayed at but, I was only in the room to change and sleep. The rates are high but you are paying for the name. They also charge a $10.00 a day restort fee. We ate lunch at Rusty's Sports Bar and Findley's Irish Pub. Both meals were good, but pricey for just sandwiches. I would go back for a convention, but I would not pay the high price for a vacation. I would just visit the hotel and pay the $12.00 parking charge.

5  Thank Harleygrandma
Reviewed March 2, 2007

Despite some negative reviews we wanted to see and experience this hotel. Friends who had stayed here highly recommended it for our 2/13- 2/17 visit to Nashville.

This enormous Convention Hotel caters to its bottom line conventions and functions. They fill in any empty rooms with solo guests to help the profit line. GayLordis a very hospitality oriented company. No doubt some of the problems that have been reported are due to the number of visitors that overwhelm the staff called “Stars”. Our visit was wonderful and almost all of the staff we met went out of there way to be helpful and showed us southern hospitality. A picture
is worth a 1000 words!

We arrived at 11am from the airport, we hired a Town Car from Metro Livery for $23.00. The regular cab rate is fixed at $22.00 for a dollar you get a beautiful car a well dressed driver who helps you with your baggage and opens and closes door for you. Well worth the extra change. Our arrival was well organized, our luggage was handled in a few minutes and we were escorted to the front desk by our courteous bellman. The wait was a few minutes. I am sure if a convention was checking in we would have stood in line as I witnessed this happen many time during our stay. The lobby is impressive and they have many reservations stations that can be opened to accommodate the crowds.

I made sure by calling ahead that our room type and package was what I requested, a superior room overlooking the gardens. Everything was in order and our room was available just as we had discussed on the phone hours before. I would suggest that you do this since reservations can change based on demand. If you are correctly registered in the computer, check in should go smoothly. Our spotlessly clean room 4014 in Cascades was a well appointed average sized hotel unit with a balcony overlooking the Cascades water falls and bar. The hotel is huge, over four acres under one roof. We felt like we were in the tropics, there are beautiful tropical plants and water falls around every corner. A local shop keeper told us they call it “The Green Prison” because the conventioneers and guests rarely leave it! It is a self contained play land with a river, a river boat ride, dancing fountains, shopping, restaurants of all levels, Irish pub, Jack Daniels Bar, food court, deli, coffee shop, ice cream store, huge convention and function rooms and so much more.

It is a Green Prison and we did not mind it at all, back home in upstate New York it was freezing and snowing and we were in an engineered paradise in Nashville.

By the time we were settled and took a tour around it was past lunch time we went to the food court and tried the Corky’s BQ a bit of a let down as the pulled pork was just OK. I’d skip it and get the better version at the Wild Horse when we visit again. We ate three times at the fairly priced Finley’s Irish Pub the food and service was very good and the entertainment was great. Try a glass of Guinness and a generous portion of fish and chips. We had coupons, part of the Nashville Nights package for breakfasts and both buffets the Cascades and Rachel’s were excellent. There were a number of conventions going on and at times the hotel was full, however since they are in meetings most of the day it does not seem crowded.

There is a free shuttle to the OpryLand Mall down the road. We spent a good part of a day there well worth a visit. I got lost in the Bass Pro shop but was found by my wife using our cell phones.
It is worth a trip to the empty hotel spa, pool and hot tub. The friendly life guards were happy to answered any of our questions, the pool is large and has lap lanes. The hot tub is outside well worth the twenty seven degree dash. We had it all to ourselves and used it many times.

They have a shuttle to down town and the Country Western Museum it is $14.00 pp per day you can get of an on as much as you want. For $25.00 you can buy a three day pass well worth it since a trip by cab is $22.00 fixed rate one way! We had a wonderful time at the Gaylord and plan to visit again.

Stayed: February 2007
6  Thank Alazzo
Reviewed March 1, 2007

Stayed there 2 nights in February. The gardens and waterfalls are absolutely marvelous! I used the fitness center which was very large and up to date. We ate in one of the restaurants inside the hotel and the food was wonderful. We also ordered room service a couple times which was very good as well. I even came upon a need to use the internet and utilized the cyber cafe which was nice - the only complaint is that it would have been nice to have some scratch paper & a pen in there to write the information I needed on. This was our 2nd stay at this hotel and hope to return sometime.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2007

We wanted a special New Year Party and decided to go the 80th party at Gaylord Opryland. We purchased the special event package, and paid good money for it.
The party was very nice; but, we were very disapointed in the room quality.
The room was small, the carpet was stained everywhere, the bathroom mirrors were dirty with toothpaste and when we called the front desk to complain they told us that no other room was available.
They offered to send in housekeeping again, and when I asked if they would steamclean the carpet they said no.
They did not even offer us a discount or anything and the coupon book that came with the package expired on 12/31/06 (the next day).

If you ever are in Nashiville, by all means, go see the ottractions inside this hotel; but, spend the night somewhere else!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank mthdkh
Reviewed February 19, 2007

If you want a big room, don't stay here. They are small, run down and the bathrooms are terrible. The food on site is over priced, poor quality and everything here will cost you big time. However, if your plan is to relax by the gardens, watch the waterfalls and in general just enjoy the beauty of the hotel features itself, this is an excellent stay. In the summer this hotel is wonderful. They keep it cool yet you feel like you are outside due to the glass surroundings. The gardens are kept nice and there is plenty to see and enjoy.

The gardens and scenery of this hotel is almost worth the stay. Almost. There's a big outlet shopping mall nearby with overpriced items if that is your thing. They do have an aquarium restaurant there that is pretty nice.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business