“10th anniversary trip less than magical”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #49 of 157 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed February 23, 2010

We booked our room at the Gaylord Opryland hotel website. Possibly I did not see the full disclosure, but I did not feel the resort & parking fees were adequately disclosed. Imagine our suprise upon check-in when the listed price for the room & tax described as payment in full (about $220.00 turned into about $260.00 adding in an almost $20.00 !!! parking fee & an almost $20.00 resort fee) Our dinner at the Old Hickory Steakhouse was truly wonderful, but our breakfast upon departure was far less than magical. We ate at the Water's Edge Marketplace Buffet where we found almost completely inedible food. Bacon that was overcooked to the point that one could easily have chipped a tooth, soggy waffles, over-salted roasted red potatoes ---- at the "bargain" (heavy on the sarcasm here) price of $17.95/ person. Would gladly go to dinner again at the Old Hickory Steakhouse, but would park at the Opry Mills & walk over. Would never eat at the Water's Edge. Would never book a room that was not that much above average (which offered such "astounding" amenities as bottled water, a mini fridge that did not cool adequately, & a wake up call that never worked; all I can say on that is thankfully we set the in-room alarm; then again, maybe not - we may have missed breakfast oversleeping)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wynndsong

Reviewed February 22, 2010

I am part of a large religious organization which has a youth conference every other year at this hotel. The first couple of times I visited the hotel I despised it (90's). The people barely spoke English, check in took hrs to complete (arrive at 3 get in room between 5 and 6), the rooms were sometimes not clean upon arrival, and the beds were not comfortable. But over the years in the 2000 era the hotel has improved.

My last stay was the best experience that I have ever had at this hotel. The people were friendly and I understood everything they said. They had our rooms (12) clean and ready to enter upon arrival and the wait was only 15 minutes. The rooms have been updated and are very nice. The beds are very comfortable. Check out was quick and easy along with suggestions on how to leave without waiting in a long line at front of hotel.

The downside of this hotel that will not change are the long walks to get anywhere. The hotel is huge and spread out. It is easy to get lost for many people that are new to the hotel. I can't even count the number of elderly people who needed help finding their way back to rooms.

Suggestions: There are so many people that visit this hotel (and do not stay in a room)who want to take pictures and block the walk ways that it could take an hour to get from one side to the other. It would be nice if they could create walk ways and elevators for paying guests only. Each day around the time for lunch and dinner it can be rough getting out of the parking lots. the vehicle your driving needs to be registered to your room in order to get out or you pay for parking. This not told to hotel guests at check in. When people drive up to the gate and are unexpectedly asked to pay it causes a great back up. At check in they should ask if you have a vehicle parked in their parking lot. It would be nice if they had a parking lot for guests that have a room and a separate one for guests that do not.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Brownsfan1111
Reviewed February 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Gaylord Opryland last Valentine's Day weekend and went back this year and were equally as pleased. The prices are high, and we did not want to pay for the Atrium View room, but last year the check-in person upgraded us without us even asking, and this year we did ask and were given a beautiful 4th floor room overlooking the waterfall in the Cascades section. Our check-in time Friday afternoon was less than 5 minutes. Our room safe wouldn't open at first, but less than 10 minutes after we called someone was up to fix it. Dinner at the Old Hickory Steakhouse was expensive, but the menus are online so we knew what to expect. Service was VERY attentive, and the lobster bisque soup and filets were delicious. It was busier Saturday night, but it wasn't a problem. We're not fond of the $18/day parking fee, or the resort charges, but the website makes those charges clear so we understand that we're going to pay it. We self-parked and could park very close to the closest entrance for our room.

I have seen some other comments recently about peeling wallpaper and bad carpet,
but our room appeared to have been recently remodeled, and for the size of the hotel (2,088 rooms), I thought the detail to the landscaping in the atrium more than makes up for a few things that might need some updating. Housekeeping was great too. Overall it was a wonderful winter getaway full of romance, and we will definitely go back.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2010

Gaylord is very expensive that is the only problem but its a great place to stay. lots of room and places to go inside the building its like a city in itself. if you are hungry dont eat there $5 for a half pint of milk for your cereal SORRY no..$15 for 2 pancakes Sorry No..but thats pretty much the price of everything even a Slice of pizza is not reasonable. BUT the good news is there is a Mall walking distance that has a wonderful food court.
if it wasnt for that and the food I brought I would have gone hungry in those 4 days I was there. Still its a great place to visit.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2010

Excellant, lovely relaxing stay. Beautiful accomdations.

Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I went with my wife and daughter christmas night. The lights were up and the decorations and such. Everything was mesmorizing. i had military discount on an atrium view room. my wife and daughter spent most of the time walking around or on the baclony. However, the prices on food are beyond ridiculous. the food, hotel, and anything else(arcade,boat,shopping ect) was overpriced. I would also like to add that my wife and I had sleep ap at the time. We had to move the table between the beds to find two available plug-ins. that seemed a little inconsiderate to me. other than that my experience was amazing the waterfalls and plants were beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2010

The Opryland Resort Hotel is a destination of its own. This place is magnificent with gardens, restaurants, bars, stores, walking paths, even a river with boats! And all of that is INSIDE the hotel!!! However, this spectacle comes at a price. We had an average room (no view of gardens) which cost $179 plus $15 resort fee plus $18 parking fee for one night. If all you looking for a place to sleep, you can do much better. But, if you want a memorable experience for a special occasion, and if you take advantage of all this resort has to offer, it is a place you won't forget. Bring a camera!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple