“Nice, but not worth the money”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #59 of 161 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed April 26, 2005

My daughter and I spent one night in an atrium room in the Cascades section. The choice was made because of the location to the Grands Ole Opry show we attended and the festive atmsphere. The room was on the third floor and had a balcony. The bedding was ok and had both a feather and foam pillow. My biggest disappointment was the bathroom. For the price, I expect more than a one piece prefab fiberglass tub/shower,

If I had the choice, I would spend half as much and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2005
8  Thank Filadog
Write a ReviewReviews (9,954)

Reviewed April 25, 2005

My husband and I stayed here April 2005. Our room was an atrium room in the cascades on one of the lower floors. After reading the reviews we were concerned about noise, but it turned out not to be a problem for us. Yes, there is a constant echo of noise from the beautiful gardens, but not anything that would keep one from sleeping. In fact, this "noise" helped us sleep b/c it ended up being more like "white noise" of a sleep machine or air filter. Our room was modestly equipped for the price one pays, but had a balcony with table and chairs that was very nice for people watching and drinking coffee in the morning and seemed clean (although the next morning we found all kinds of things from previous guests underneath the bed--socks, a notebook, & a disposable camera). The towels were large and fluffy and the complimentary toiletries were nice. I think the furnishings and decor of the room could be updated to make a better presentation, but we weren't turned off by it or anything. We found the staff very pleasant and friendly. (There was one instance where we were waiting for the elevator and few guys working there walked up right about the time the elevator opened and they jumped right on ahead of us--which we thought was rude.) Other than that we found our stay very enjoyable. The gardens are absolutely gorgeous. It makes for a very nice stroll. It was cold outside while we were there, so being able to walk around as if you were outside, but not having to worry about the rain and cold made for a very nice vacation. If I were someone looking for a place to get married in the winter, this would be it!! It's absolutely beautiful!!

• Stayed: April 2005
7  Thank travelTLee
Reviewed April 3, 2005

This is the second time we have stayed at Gaylord Opryland for a convention. We stayed last March and again this past weekend. The place is massive, impressive and beautiful!! It takes quite a while to explore each area. It is also within walking distance to Opry Mills, which we enjoyed both times we were here.

I do have to agree with previous posts that the rooms are just OK. We stayed in the Cascades in 2004. We had two doubles as our young son comes with us. Our room was an atrium room, but we did not have a balcony. We had a small area that one person could step out on. It was also level with the walkway, which was a little noisy at times during the night. We were there on the weekend, and there were guests coming through as late as 3:00 a.m. They weren't being overly loud, but I am a light sleeper, so it was a problem for me. If you are a light sleeper, avoid these rooms. The higher rooms would probably be better. This year we were in a wing of the Delta with an outside view. We had requested a room with two doubles. When we opened the door, it was a king. We called "Consider It Done" and they gave us the room next door in minutes. I have to say the king room looked like it was missing something. We have stayed in king rooms that have a sofa sleeper. There would have been space in this room for a sofa, but there was a single chair instead. It seemed the room in the Cascades was a little nicer than this room. We didn't have any problems with either room being dirty. Both were clean, had ample towels, and everything worked fine. The Delta room was very quiet, which was a plus for me. We did hear some beeping one evening from the many tour buses, but it didn't last long. Be aware that these rooms do not have any "extras". It seemed the Cascades room had a hair dryer, but the Delta room did not. I don't know that we would have been happy if we were paying for these rooms. We have certainly had nicer accomodations for less money.

This hotel is an attraction in itself and I must agree with the member who stated it is like Disney. Be prepared to pay for it. $8 per day for parking, $8 for each adult-$6 for each child 5-12 for the boat ride in the hotel, $5 resort fee per day (it is increasing in July to $10 because of the new spa). My son and I took the boat ride this year (he is 4). It was very nice and interesting to hear about the hotel, but I didn't feel it was worth $8. They also take your picture and try to sell it to you after the ride for $12. We passed on that. We also ate breakfast in the Cascades. We had the buffet for $12 per person, which we thought was expensive until we looked at the regular menu and most items were $8 and up. My coffee was $2.50. Our bill was $33. The food was definately up to par, though. There were many choices and it was all very good. There are also many shops to explore. I saw a very cute capri set in Amelia's that I was planning to buy. It was different from what you see in the mall. I was prepared to pay $80-$100 for it, but passed when it was $165. I did find a nice silk top for $39 on the clearance rack. Just be prepared for extra fees and high prices.

It is surprising that a hotel of this magnitude does not have an indoor pool or nice playground for kids. I saw several children with our group and throughout the hotel that probably would have enjoyed swimming or having a playground. I didn't feel like trying to catch a shuttle to a neighboring hotel for swimming.

The hotel is awesome. The gardens are amazing. But, if we are in Nashville for something other than business meetings, we would probably stay somewhere else and just visit.

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business
23  Thank Waverunner
Reviewed March 13, 2005

To sum it up from the start, stay in a nicer hotel for a better price and visit the Opryland like you would any other attraction. Have Saturday night dinner or a fabulous Sunday brunch at Volaire, which is located in one of the hotel's beautiful atriums, massive gardens with huge domed glass ceilings, ponds and waterfalls. But don't stay in the rooms!

I was at a convention there this weekend and even though I had a group rate of $149, it wasn't worth it. Don't forget that they add a nearly useless $5 per day "resort fee" which includes the internet access (which I couldn't use), 10 cents a minute for local and toll-free calls (ludicrous!!), and $8 a day for parking (or $16 for valet)... which would all be worth it (except the phone charges) if the hotel rooms were good--not excellent, just good even! But they are not.

The nubby old brown blanket on my bed was so gross that it looked like that kind that you find in the back of a rental truck when you're moving, used to wrap furniture in. There were condoms in the clothes drawers, hairs IN the used shampoo bottle, along witha use bottle of conditioner and a nearly empty bottle of lotion. The cordless phone by the bed was dead and the other phone on the tiny desk was so full of static that it was nearly useless. Every time I called the valet for my car, I'd have to hang up and call the front desk instead beacuse the valet parking phone line was dead--all four days I was there.

I complained greatly to the "Consider it done!" line you can call from the room and told them I was going to be checking out early, to which they replied, "OK." Maybe they have so much business they don't care? Surprisingly, later, someone called back to see if my issue had been taken care of, and when I told her no and that I was checking out two days early, she asked me to speak to a manager... he lowered the room rate to $99 but honestly, it still wasn't worth it! The only good thing about this hotel is the atriums and gardens in the center.

When it came time to check out, from the time the woman at the desk greeted me to the time my car was brought around and my luggage gotten out of storage was an hour and a half!!! If I'd had a flight to catch, I would have been so out of luck. And this was without a line, nearly two hours after the normal check out time and two hours before check in time--so there should not have been a problem at all. What a mess. I'll never stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
26  Thank caspia
A TripAdvisor Member
Allen, Texas
Reviewed March 9, 2005

To begin with, the hotel itself was absolutely incredible. I purchased a nashville star package through stubhub and was able to meet with LeeAnn Rimes after the show. Knowing this, my opinion of the room may have been overtaken by the incredible experiences that I had otherwise. I checked in around 12:00. There were no problems checking in, even though the letter I had received through stubhub told me to check in at 3:00 pm. Although I did not receieve the package until 5:00 pm, the staff was very helpful and friendly. The only restaurant we ate at in the hotel was Rachels. The breakfast buffet offers just about everything you can think of, and is very good. The dinner we ate there was good, for hotel food. The meal only cost 26 dollars with tip for two people, so prices there not bad. Other meals were eaten at places such as Macaroni Grill, located at the mall right next door to the hotel. The fitness center is okay. There are no lockerrooms, sauna,etc... The facility offers good equipment, and you can take a shuttle across the street to the Radison Hotel. They have an indoor pool, whirlpool, and sauna, that you can use for free. Like I said earlier the other facilities in the hotel are amazing, and the hotel is immense. The rooms are another story. The rooms are not worth the regular 184 dollars a night, possibly 154 dollars on certain websites. The rooms are the same types expected at a bottom line 3 star hotel. The beds are somewhat comfortable and decent size. There is only one small desk to work on. I became ill due to my allergy to mold. There was mold on the bathroom ceiling; my mom noticed right before our departure, to go back home. The ammenities in the bathroom were ok, but the bathroom was small. The room is not what you would expect at a 4 star hotel. We drove from Dallas to Nashville and were expecting a little bit more out of the room. We paid 120 dollars a night at the Venetian, in Las Vegas, and the rooms are incredible here. There is no comparison between the two types of rooms. My point is we paid less for a room ten times as nice as room that cost more. Moving back to the Opryland- Our room at the hotel was not as advertised. We had a traditional style room. The picture on the website shows a much nicer room than received. The lady over the phone told us that we would be receiving a traditional style room overlooking the gardens. We did not receive that. We told the front desk about our problem. They told us that there is only one traditional style room overlooking the gardens in the entire hotel. That must have been the room that they took a picture of, sounds a little misleading to me.
Out Of 10 Points: Based on Cost and Quality
Room- 3 out of 10
Facilities- 9 out of 10- the gardens are incredible
Restaurants- 6 out of 10-only based on the restaraunt we ate at- the others are very expensive
Service- 8 out of 10
The Ambiance- 10 out of 10
Overall Experience: 7 out of 10
Had a great time.
Enjoyed our stay.
I would like to return but they must greatly improve on their rooms to convince me so. Otherwise I would just stay at a 4 our 5 star hotel for cheaper. I would then walk around the Gaylord to see the facilities.

I know they are building a massive spa. This might convince me to return. I do not know.
I traveled with my middle aged mother. I am 18.

• Stayed: March 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 28, 2005

Our children loved this hotel. They were fascinated by the HUGE lobbies, gardens and water-light show. It was winter when we visited- i wish they had an indoor pool. The kids were entertained by exploring the beautiful and extensive hotel interiors. Do not expect luxurious rooms- our was pretty standard and worn but still a fun place to stay for an evening!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 28, 2005

Spent 4 nights there for a convention.
Hotel environment is beautiful and soothing. Don't need
to go out if don't want to. Everything is available - food, shopping,
and entertainment - under the same roof. Range of meal choices from Pizza Hut pizza to deluxe restaurants. Didn't even know it was raining outside as it is like being inside a temperate greenhouse. Very comfortable temperature wise. However, facility is quite large and many people got lost easily, although we did not have that problem. Room was very
spacious (2 dbl.), clean, but nothing special in amenities.
In fact, no frig. or micro., like have come to expect in most
hotels, and there was plenty of room for them. No indoor pool,
which was a disappointment to our child. Internet was available
and worked well. Staff was pleasant and helpful.
Lots to do in Nashville. We rented a car and it was easy
to get around. Also walked to Opryland Mills mall. May be
a bit far for some to walk but we enjoyed it as the weather was nice.
If you go, make sure to relax and enjoy the scenery.

11  Thank suze227