“I loved it, Cant wait to go back!”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #48 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
A TripAdvisor Member
“I loved it, Cant wait to go back!”
Reviewed January 18, 2005

I went to the Gaylord Opryland Hotels in Nashville the summer of '04 with some of my family. I have never been to a nicer hotel in my life. The atriums and plants everywhere were breathtaking. The air is very romantic and the music played during the day and night only add to that. The restaurants and stay are expensive, but if u have it then i strongly advise you to go. I was suprised by some of these reviews that i read before. My room and bathroom were clean, the sheets had been changed, it wasnt dusty, etc. Or rooms were cleaned every day, had the beds made, etc. It was spacious, had a porch looking over the Conservatory and it was very pretty. When i ordered food they got it there ahead of time and we were very pleased. You do walk around some if you want to view the place, but its not to the point where u are exhausted. We had help right away as well. The only thing that i didnt like was how after you put ur in room service food outside ur door for the staff to get, it took them forever to pick it up. I missed it so much and am planning to go back this summer.

• Stayed June 2004
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,911)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed January 18, 2005

The hotel is beautiful. I would recommend that you visit it, look around, enjoy it, and stay somewhere else. For the price, the level of service is very low. This hotel seems to focus only on large groups, not personal service. The rooms are standard fare and the service is on par with holiday inn. Very overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed November 2004
8 Thank mariner5
Reviewed January 10, 2005

We stayed at the hotel this past weekend for a national baseball conference. The inside of the hotel is beautiful and they still had part of the hotel decorated for Christmas. We had no trouble checking in. In fact we asked for a queen size bed and were upgraded to a queen suite, the room was very large and we had our own porch. The room was not worth what you would normally have to pay if you do not get a discount but the view from your porch was. The bathroom was not very clean and needs a good scrub. We did not like that you had to pay for self-parking 8$ plus tax on the parking. The restaruants and bars were great and you never had to leave the complex. They all had good food and great music at night. You could walk from one to the other and hear different music. The irish pub had great food but poor service. If you stay be prepared to have to walk a lot to your room and everywhere else, lots of stairs, and for there to be a lot of charges when you check out. Your room rate does not include any parking or a service fee and you are taxed on all of it. I cannot wait to visit again but we will not stay the night unless we get a very deep discounted rate.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 10, 2005

We were only on a one-night stopover and had no idea that the Opryland Hotel was in itself such an attraction. We expected a lavish hotel with all the amenities, but had no idea that the gardens, waterfalls, and indoor walking attractions would be as lovely. I never saw so many poinsettias in my life!!! But the bananas growing on the tree, and the orchids, stag-horn ferns, and other blooming tropical flora was outstanding. Coming from the snow of the cold, high desert of Oregon, it was like one magical night in paradise! The Christmas decorations and lights INSIDE the hotel were superb. If we had any complaint it would be the horse-drawn carriage ride (we were told it was the best way to see the "2 miles of lights around the hotel"), which because (@ $25.00) it only went down one block and came back the same way, was a disappointment. The "light displays" that we had heard so much about were all inside the hotel! We would love to come back to this tropical, oasis in Tennessee! And next time we will stay long enough to explore all the gardens, restaurants, and attractions.

• Stayed November 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pilot Point, Texas
Reviewed January 9, 2005

I first want to preface this review by saying, that I've never felt the need to go online and leave a review regarding a hotel. My husband and I are very laid back and are usually just glad and grateful to be traveling, that we don't see the need to complain. But after our stay this past weekend at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel, I decided I had to leave a review.

When my husband was still working for a Fortune 500 company (it's been 5 years), the company he worked for hosted many of the national meetings at this Hotel. My husband's stays had alway been great and he didn't hesitate to book again for the convention we would be attending. Also, two years ago, we had a family reunion in Nashville and while we didn't stay at the Opryland hotel, it's a fabulous place to tour. We had a great meal at Rachel's and all family members were thoroughly impressed. (FYI, our group stayed at the Wingate Inn and loved it).

So, we were beyond disappointed when we checked into our room in the Cascades section of the hotel. It was filthy. I don't think the carpet had been vacuumed or the bathroom floor had been swept or mopped in years. I'm not exhaggerating. The whole room was very run down and was in need of updating. We were starving, so we decided to grab a bite to eat and come back and address the issue later.

When we came back to our room, our room keys did not work. We went to the hotel desk to see what was the matter and turns out that they had checked us into the wrong room from the beginning, but it was too late to change anything because the person who's room we were in, was now in ours. They apologized for the mistake, but that was it and because we didn't raise any trouble, we were back to our filthy room. We got back to our room and got ready for bed and it looked our sheets had not been changed. So, I asked them, very nicely, if they could please come up and change the sheets and vacuum and sweep our floors. My husband fell asleep in one of the chairs, while I waited for someone to show. Guess what? Nothing. No phone call either.

Next day we were in meetings most of the day, but I returned to my room before my husband did. My key did not work, once again. Back to front desk again for a new key. I also mentioned the floors and the sheets one more time. Very nicely considering what we had already been through. In a few minutes, a woman who could not speak English asked me if everything was alright. I asked her if she could please sweep our floors and she smiled at me and left. She didn't understand a word I was saying.

I could go on more, but won't. But my advice would be that for at least $130 or more for a room at this hotel, it's just not worth it. Definitely go and tour it. Even eat a meal at one of the restaurants, but save your hard money and stay somewhere else. The rooms are rundown and the hotel is understaffed (yet very friendly ). Like I said, I do hate to complain, but this was not good.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
18 Thank TOPSCJONES
Alabama
Reviewed January 3, 2005

Attended the Music City Bowl on New Year's Eve and stayed two nights. The hotel was very understaffed at check-in. The place was a nightmare. No help with luggage and long walks to rooms. Paid for a balcony room and was given a ground floor room. It had a balcony allright, over a sidewalk. Parking was a joke. Long, long lines just to enter the parking lot. Then you have to pay $8. Unbelievable.

The complex is impressive. The atrium and conservatory are very beautiful. But the rooms are extremely overpriced. Nothing special. The bathroom was not clean. In fact, the floor had not been cleaned thouroughly in quite a while. Mattresses were terribly inadequate.

The Cascades Restaurant was OK, but again, very overpriced. Bought dessert at a snack area and told the server about tree nut allergies. Bit into dessert and immediately found pecans! Returned to the counter and was given an exchange, supposedly peanut butter pie. Intstead it was pumpkin! Returned again for a refund and was humiliated by the attendant. Inexcusable!

The New Years Day Brunch was exceptional. One of the highlights of the stay.

Nashville is a fun city with lots of attractions and shopping. But one time at the Opryland Hotel is enough for me.

13 Thank Sandra67
Largo, Fla
Reviewed January 1, 2005

My husband and I gave ourselves a trip to Nashville's Opryland Gaylord Hotel, for Christmas. We had a wonderful time. We arrived early in the day and we were able to check in. It was beautiful, clean, and comfortable. We were there on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. All of our meals were great. The buffet on Christmas Day, at the Cascade Resturant, was wonderful surprise, it was delicious and the host went out of his way to accommodate our special needs. We also enjoyed the Christmas program that was performed in the Delta section, it was first class.
It was terrible cold outside, but we were treated very warmly, when it was time to leave, the valet service made sure that all our windows were clear of ice and ready to go.

• Stayed December 2004