“Nice but overpriced”

Ranked #49 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
Las Vegas, NV
“Nice but overpriced”
Reviewed August 15, 2004

Let me start out by saying that the Gardens, Atriums, and fountains were beautiful. The rooms were pretty nice too, coffee maker, and free USA today newspaper. Other than that the rooms were average. The food was good too.
I felt that for a hotel that centers itself around conferences they need to get up to date technology wise. I was disappointed to find that the rooms did not have high speed internet access to plug in a laptop. On the TV you could pay $5 for 20 minutes at dial up speed. Or you could go to the "Internet Cafe" Contrary to the name there isn't a "Cafe". The computer room has only 4 thin client computers for the entire hotel conference complex. The computers are stripped down so that you can only have one internet window open. Plus there are always at least 2 people standing behind you waiting to get on the internet.
I also felt that to pay $8 per day for parking when you are shoveling over $150 a night is rediculous too. One secret for free parking, you can park in the back of the Opry Mills mall parking lot (section 6B) and take a short scenic walk to the hotel for free.
This place is certainly a tourist trap, they find ways to nickle and dime you all over, plus Nashville must have a sales tax rate of almost 10%, so stuff might seem cheap in stores or on menu's until you get the bill. They also have a Norman-Rockwell exibit, the price $15 per person. I went to the actual Norman-Rockwell museum in Massachusets, I think it was only $5-10 to get in there.
The hotel check in line was long and slow. In fact every time I walked past the check in counter in the afternoon there was a huge line. I think the hotel should staff the desk accordingly for the number of anticipated check-ins.
Overall I had a positive-relaxing experience. I just thought for their going room rate, I shouldn't have been bilked in so many other ways. However, I do realize that much of the room rate must go toward maintaining the gardens and fountains which makes it seem a little more reasonable.

5 Thank Nevada_Traveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,882)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Irwin, PA
Reviewed August 8, 2004

My husband and I and another couple, friends of ours, stayed at this beautiful resort August 2nd to 4th 2004. I would not stay anywhere else. Our rooms were nice and clean. Two of our people can not walk very far and none of us had a hard time getting around. If we got lost we just enjoyed the area we were lost in until we found our way out, the people who work there are very helpful and would usually say "Let me take you there" to wherever we were trying to go. The gardens are restfull and relaxing and there are waterfalls and fountains everywhere, also benches to sit on everywhere. There is a rotating bar in the Cascades section where you can sit and enjoy all the scenery in that area. We also used there shuttle bus to go to the Grand Old Opry which is also a must see, the show was great. Across from the Grand Old Opry theater is the Aquarium Restaurant which has very good food and a lot of atmosphere, you get a lot of food at a good price. Last but not least no stay would be complete without a trip to the Country Music Hall of Fame. We loved it all. Enjoy

• Stayed August 2004
6 Thank BetsyIrwin_PA
Reviewed July 29, 2004

My husband and I did not stay at the Opryland hotel, but we did visit it during our stay in Nashville. It was beautiful! We were directed to visiting Opryland by a waitress in downtown Nashville, at first we thought, what could there possibly be to see at a hotel? But since it was raining, we decided to check it out, and our we glad we did! From the gardens to the waterfalls and the Delta riverboat, we had a wonderful time. We can only hope we can stay at this wonderful hotel on our next trip to Tennessee!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 6, 2004

I just got back from a vacation at the Opryland Hotel in Nashville, Tennessee. July 3-6. I had done a lot of research and read a lot of reviews before I even left. I came prepared to do a lot of walking and see a lot of things. I really was hoping for a room in the Delta area at first because of the fountain but we got a room in the Garden Conservatory. Before we went up to the room I was a little nervous, after seeing the pictures on the website I just didnt feel like I was going to be happy. BUT those pictures dont do that place ANY justice, I spent a lot of time out on the balcony just looking at things, and watching people walk around admiring things. Of course there are a few bad things that come with the good. We didnt have turn down service the first 2 nights we were there, we found out later we should've got it every night. We got it the 3rd night because we requested it, when the maids cleaned the room during the day it wasn't the greatest *leaving mirrors dirty, etc.* We didnt spend a whole lot of time in the room so it wasnt that big of a deal. Im an internet junkie, so I was nervous about being away from the computer for 4 days and I didn't want to pay sky high prices for internet use. I was very pleased to see the Cyber Cafe they have there. The price of food was on the expensive side but I already expected that too reading reviews before I left. The fountain show was beautiful! I watched it durning the day and again that night. The night show was much better because they have lights that changed the colors of the water. My family and I had a great time, we decided before we left that we would be back next year if nothing happens. If you go in expecting to do a lot of walking and see a lot of things you should be fine, if you don't like to do so much walking then you might want to stay somewhere else.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
Reviewed July 1, 2004

I was all hyped up about staying at the so-called fabulous Opryland but when we checked into our "Nonsmoking" room, it smelled badly of smoke. When we complained to the front desk, all they said was that you can't keep people from smoking in the rooms. They sent up housekeeping to freshen up the room but it still had a bad smell. I thought the room was rather shabby for the money and will stay elsewhere next time. The public areas were beautiful, but you had to keep looking at the signs or you would get very lost. They did seem to cater to children, offering cereal, bowls, and milk, etc. which I thought was nice. But God help the child who gets lost in this huge place!

• Stayed June 2004, traveled on business
3 Thank dancer0707
Reviewed June 27, 2004

My husband & I stayed here for a conference with an infant in late June 2004. The main open areas are nice but the rooms are less than average. In fact I have stayed at nicer Super 8's rooms than this basic room at the Opryland. The hallway to the basic room was so small, I could not hold the door open and stand in the hallway to allow my husband to push in a small stroller. The bathroom was tiny and in needed updating. I would not stay here again if free.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 25, 2004

We stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville, TN June 19 - 24. We loved our stay there. We were with our grandson who was with Vinita, OK Tech Ed Conference.
I loved the hotel. It was beautiful. The rooms were nice enough and we had special soaps and lotions in the bathroom. The coffee was very good in the room. It was very clean. We had a maid that we saw each morning. Her name was Palmaleta. She was great. She did a wonderful job cleaning our room and was so happy everyday. She called us Momma and Papa and said very nice things about the boys in the room with our grandson. Their room was a challenge each day, but she did her best. We loved our stay and hope someday to go again. Ramona Grimmett

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member