“Beautiful, but . . . . Expensive (watch the hidden costs)!”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #48 of 159 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed January 11, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Gaylord Opryland from January 6 through January 10, 2009, and we were amazed. There can be no doubt. This hotel is stunning, and it is huge! According to one of the concierge staff, the Gaylord Opryland is the largest non-casino hotel in the world, and I believe it. It is also very well maintained. It seems to be the home of superlatives. The three atria (which cover a total of 8 acres) are stunning. The rooms are beautiful, and housekeeping never misses a beat. It is however very, very expensive. We stayed at the Gaylord Opryland hotel while attending a conference there, so we got the conference rate, which wasn't bad, considering the immensity and beauty of the facility, but other costs were high - very high. Valet parking is $25 per day, but self-parking is even $18 per day, and don't expect the valets to be polite (or even civil) if you choose self-parking, as we did. They won't even let you unload your luggage in a covered portico. If you self-park, you must unload your luggage beyond the portico - even if it is POURING rain, and the portico is otherwise empty. And, good luck if you want to use a luggage cart, and transport your own luggage. They can be touched only by the porters. Likewise, don't even look for an economical meal. A dinner for two can easily exceed $100 in almost any of the Gaylord Opryland's seven restaurants. For example, one day my wife and I had enjoyed a substantial lunch (at one of the restaurants in the nearby shopping mall), and we wanted only a light supper. We went to the Restaurante Volare. She had a cup of soup. I had a small salad. We both had water, but I had a cup of coffee with the dessert we shared. The bill was still well over $30. Finally, my thanks to the check-in agent named Jackie (or Jamie) from Victoria, Texas. Following the less than warm greeting we initially received from the valets and porters, she was a welcomed change that soothed one very frustrated customer.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
5  Thank Hoosier_Family06

Reviewed January 9, 2009

The hotel is amazing with acres of lush enclosed courtyards, and the convention facilities are hard to beat!

The down side is this place is so large that it feels disjointed, and not only is this an expensive place to stay but you’ll likely feel that you are being chiseled so they can make a few extra dollars along the way.

I blame the Gaylord family for the following transgressions of hotel hospitality, not the staff:

Not only was I charged the $15 daily fee for bottled water, complimentary(?) shuttle service and a newspaper but on New Year’s day I was not given the paper, and when I called to ask where it was they informed me that although they charge for the paper on holidays they will not give me one, and that no one in the hotel will get a credit for it unless they request it individually! They also promised me complementary breakfasts each day, but once again the official policy is that the guest has to be aggressively argumentative and willing to wait on long lines to get fulfillment of promises that should have been automatic upon arrival.

The Christmas decorations inside the hotel were not nearly as spectacular as described and were already coming down before New Years when it was advertised that they stayed up until January 4th.

This is the best place to stay if you enjoy spending part of every day playing “lawyer” but only because of the owners. The entire staff is friendly, but offered as human sacrificial barriers to any lasting improvements to the guest experience, every guest is on their own to make sense of how to get a fair ride from the Gaylord family cash cow.

All electrical outlets are installed upside down throughout the entire property (totaling thousands of outlets)- the explanation given to me was “I honestly didn’t know there was a right side up!” This kind of wiring job would have had to be conducted by a licensed electritan who should have been familiar with the undeniable fact that Edison outlets (the standard AC outlet used in the USA) were designed to have the ground prong (the round blade) on the bottom for safety reasons, not aesthetics!

Rooms on the 6th floor seem to be the best as they tend to be larger and quieter.

When I asked for a Taxi the house sedan service was called, and when I asked about the price was told ”same as a taxi” but the fee was 66% higher than the going rate for a taxi in the area, and the driver actually asked me “Did they tell you I was a taxi?” and implied that it’s a frequent source of frustration for him/her (I am not disclosing the gender of my driver to protect him/her from retaliation from the hotel for merely telling the truth).

Food quality ranges from wow (the Buffet- I give it 4 stars out of 5) all the way down to [--] (Stax- burgers), but is consistently overpriced. On the plus side room service consists of delivery from many of the on site restaurants which gives the guest an outstanding variety of options from room service. Also on the plus side the in room refrigerator is not stocked with premium items to buy which leaves all the room for whatever you’d like to store!

Due to excessive stairs in the atriums this place is not well suited for anyone who needs to use a stroller, scooter, walker or wheelchair; there are elevators for the handicapped but they can be hard to find, and the swirling layout of many of the paths make navigation a bit confusing for all.

When I tried to order grape juice I was informed that the cheerleaders convention had wiped them out of grape juice (blame it on your guest?), but three days after they checked out stocks had still not been replenished!

After the cheerleading convention cleared out a huge evangelical convention checked in and the front desk staff was only using half of the available infrastructure to check the new guests in which resulted in a line that snaked back and forth, then around the lobby and into the atrium; people would have to wait hours to get checked in which is not excusable as management had to know months in advance that on this day they would need a full check in staff or guests would spend hours waiting around (after a long journey). It took an hour or two for the front desk to open up the second side and the lines quickly dissipated after that.
The maid schedule was seemingly out of whack, one day they didn’t try to make up the room until 6:40PM then the following morning (New Year’s Day) the maid woke me up at 8:30AM to make up the room again!

Although this is a convention hotel it is minimally willing to anticipate needs of conventions, and will continue to get the same complaints over and over from new faces.

And yes this place is huge and still expanding! Bring good walking shoes and be prepared to have sore calf muscles within a few days.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank Rafti
Reviewed January 5, 2009

We stayed at this lovely hotel over the New Years period when it was very busy: Yes, it is a fairly expensive hotel. The restaurants and beverages are right up there with the best and the food doesn't always live entirely up to the cost.

Having said that, the hotel itself is amazing. It is indeed a city under glass, with the net result that we were scarcely aware that it was winter -- we were surrounded by lush gardens and rarely wore anything heavier than a light sweater. Although the rooms were a tad on the small side, the pleasure of sitting on the open balcony overlooking the gardens more than made up for the smallish closet.

Overall, the staff were wonderful. They were courteous, always helpful, and if they didn't have an answer to a question, they got the answer for us. One little unique feature was a small happy-face button on the phone -- I forget what they called it -- but its sole purpose was to have a place to call when you had no idea where to get the answer. Brilliant! Any time we called with any question about anything in the hotel, they found the answer quickly. I loved it -- no more fumbling about being passed from extension to extension.

The spa is wonderful -- if you go, treat yourself to a massage or other spa treatment. It is a beautiful area, the masseuse was excellent (Ed, good job) and you will leave feeling completely relaxed and pampered.

Certainly, the hotel is not appropriate if you're just passing through and looking for a place to crash for the night -- there's lots of other places that can serve that purpose very well at much lower cost. However, it is a lovely resort, with very comfortable updated rooms, flat screen TVs, a lovely atmosphere, and helpful staff. The food is decent (if expensive), and the management will go out of its way to make your stay pleasant if at all possible.

It is true that it isn't Vegas -- you can enjoy the atmosphere without running through a casino to get what you want -- nor is it Disney (the plants and gardens were all real), but it certainly was a great spot to spend a few days and ring in the new year.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Shelley55
Reviewed January 5, 2009

We stayed in the Gaylord Opryland for our 5th wedding anniversary (28th Dec 2008). After waiting in line for 25 minutes for valet parking I decided it was quicker to walk. I checked into the hotel I then returned to my car where my wife was still waiting in line. It then took a further 15 minutes before we were served. Our first room only had a view of the back of a concrete waterfall covered in artificial greenery. We asked for another room. We were upgrade to a jnr suite. When I got into bed in the jnr suite my hand ended up in a damp patch of URINE which was the middle of the bed and had been left from the previous guest. I spoke to the front office manager (Rebecca) to complain. She upgraded us to a suite and we were told to wait in the room for the porter to move our bags and take us to the suite. After waiting for 30 minutes and still no sight of a porter we carried our bags to the concierge desk who issued a new key and told us the suite number. The concierge, a young girl in her early 20s, showed little interest when we explained our problem and did not apologize for the further inconvenience. Our third room (a suite), had a very large and, for a couple on their anniversary, a completely pointless dining room and a bedroom that was smaller than our original room. The bedroom carpet was old and showing its age. The view was good from the dining room windows provided we ignored the dirty windows.

I have worked in hospitality for many years and found the Opry to be straining under the weight of Christmas in-house-guest volume. I do understand that issues occur however it appears that certain aspects of this hotel require significant overall. The Gaylord Opryland has some of the most beautiful atriums that I have ever seen within a hotel…. unfortunately the experience of a hotel guest fails to match such lovely sights.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Interesting themepark 10 miles outside music city

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2008

We recently stopped at Gaylord Opryland to enjoy a visit to this beautiful hotel. We did not stay here; only took a tour thru the hotel, enjoying its beauty and lush greenery. Our main purpose was to see the ICE event; I encourage everyone to see this once. This year's theme was Whoville; and the colors, ice sculpture, and presentations/displays are breathtaking. Even though this is probably meant for younger children, my older children (teens) enjoyed it very much. There are 3 ice slides to take a whirl down, and many adults were doing this! One person allowed at a time. At the end of the tour, there is a beautiful, awesome, ice sculpture of Mary, Jesus, and Joseph and the entire manger scene, with the 3 kings, animals, etc. There is also a large ice angel, and a couple other biblical scenes. A gift shop/photo stop (they take your picture as you enter and you can purchase when done) is at the end, with many nice gifts you can purchase if you choose to do so. $22 adult-Thur thur Sunday. Open various hours, check web site under either Gaylord Opryland or ICE. Free parking, though you might park a good distance from the event, since it is very popular. Also note: very cold, but they give you parkas to wear in the event tent, even if you have on your own winter jacket...!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank tymetraveler222
Reviewed December 24, 2008

I stayed at Gaylord Opryland for a week's convention, and I only left the property once. The hotel is so huge (7th largest in the nation, so I heard), and has such large extensive gardens under domes, that you feel like you're walking outside in a jungle as you go from place to place. Restaurants are also spread out, along with bars, a club, etc. So you feel like you're going out somewhere different even though you're still on their property.
Food was excellent. Rooms were standard: getting a room on the inside of the building, with a balcony facing an atrium, is probably worth it, as my outside room faced a parking lot.
The only disadvantage I can think of is that if you're mainly staying at a hotel in Nashville to go driving other places, you may find this property too big for convenient navigation. It takes a while to get from your room to another point in the property. But, that was the fun part of it for me, as I was finding new areas to explore even at the end of my week stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business