“Good convention center”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #49 of 157 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed August 17, 2014

The rooms are located in the outer perimeter with a beautiful, lush indoor garden with glass roof. . we liked the Gaylord’s glass roof, since you get plenty of sunlight throughout the day.
It is beautiful but it's also huge and you will walk a lot to get around.

This is a good convention resort. We had a chance to stay and attend a national conference and enjoy this world famous hotel. I can recommend for convention goers.

The service is generally efficient and friendly. The rooms are average yet comfortable.
It is a pretty hotel but overpriced. Beware that this is a resort hotel and you will pay through the nose for everything.

Opryland is outside the city. You cannot really walk anywhere worthwhile. However, it is a short cab ride to city center. There are in door dining and shopping. Overall they are expensive not aesthetic.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the garden and falls will be ideal for honeymoon couples
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
GaylordOpryland, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Thanks for staying at Gaylord Opryland and for your feedback. We are so glad you had an enjoyable convention experience, and we hope to see you again on your next business or leisure trip to Nashville.

There are newer reviews for Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center

Reviewed August 17, 2014

I really wanted to give this hotel 4 or 5 stars because I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, but just couldn't do it. The reason? Their prices. I could understand some price inflation as it's a resort hotel, but the price of dining plus other added expenses cross the line. For example, for room service you pay an addition 21% "service fee" plus a $4 "delivery fee." I could understand one or the other, but seriously? What's the "service fee" for if it's not delivery? Add in $21 for parking, $30 for the airport shuttle, $18 per night "resort fee." I would not quibble with the resort "fee" if it were an optional fee. It's not. Since everyone has to pay it, why not just include it in the price of the room, so the customer has a true understanding of the room price when doing the booking?

On the positive side, the place is jaw-droppingly amazing and beautiful. I loved walking through the acres of indoor gardens. I had an interior, standard 2 queen beds room and it was quiet, comfortable, and clean. I appreciated the little things like high quality bath products, curved curtain rod, real glass glasses, and in-room safe and refrigerator. Wi fi is included in the $18 resort fee, and it was reasonably fast. The staff were uniformly friendly and helpful. As I said, I would love to give this place 4 or 5 stars, but the unconscionable pricing makes it impossible. Stay here is you have plenty of money to spend and don't mind paying through the nose for a fun experience. If you're not looking for an "experience," you can get a better room at a cheaper price elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are sorry for any miscommunication regarding our pricing structure. Both our resort fee and parking fees should have been clearly stated when you made your reservation. All resort fee inclusions are listed on your hotel room key packet. Please be assured our hotel leadership reviews the pricing and practices in our marketplace to ensure we offer competitive rates and that our practices are in-line with other comparable resorts. We are pleased that you enjoyed your room and the gardens. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in August '14 the place was nice. Check had a long line but went pretty fast. The room was nice with some faults. Toilet handle was almost falling off and shower drain plug knob was broken. Fixed the toilet handle and just had to use fingers to get the drain plug up. The resort itself is enormous. Plenty to look at but the pricing on the food was outrageous.

They had two pools neither one was close to the Delta wing. Lots of walking in this resort. Both pools were nice. The Cascade pool area had lockers for you and showers, nice.

The only negative, outside of the price of the food And daily self parking fee (21.00) would be communication between house keeping and maintenance, being if house keeping is cleaning the toilets then shouldn't they have noticed the issues with it and then reported it to maintenance? If they have then maintenance has an issue.

Would I recommend this resort to someone, yes. Would I come back here yes but would request a room closer to the front lobby.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Kono H
GaylordOpryland, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2014

Thank you for choosing Gaylord Opryland and for taking time to write about your stay. We want each of our guests to have a flawless stay with us, and we are sorry to hear we missed the mark on a few items. Please be assured that our senior leadership team reviews all TripAdvisor reviews. We sincerely appreciate your detailed comments so that we can make improvements to the guest experience.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Have attended a conferences under the Gaylord umbrella - I don't understand why they do not have all of the restaurants open during lunchtime when conferences are going on - the wait time for a table was typically 20 minutes. Food was decent - very pricey. My room overlooked the gravel rooftop - not that I was in it much.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
GaylordOpryland, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are deeply disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your experience. We’re sorry for the wait you experienced on your lunch break during the conference. Our food & beverage team works diligently to schedule our restaurant hours and staff appropriately. Your feedback is not taken lightly and has been passed along to our management team.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

My company held a department meeting for 150+ people here.
1. It is a large hotel and challenging to navigate, and not all of the staff speaks English and can help with directions.
2. I did receive help finding my room from Ashraf Azer, the Assistant Executive Housekeeper who happened to see me wandering (I'm grateful for your help!)
3. I had two meals on my own (separate from the group catering); one at the Conservatory Café and one at the Cascades Restaurant.
4. The Conservatory Café is a cute to-go café and a bit pricey (to be expected), and service was slow--there were 4 people working, and I was obviously in a hurry, and it still took about 15 minutes to get checked out (training may have been involved for one or two of the staff)
5. Nicholas was our server at the Cascades Restaurant. He was delightful! He had a great personality and sense of humor and made great recommendations for what to order. Thank you!
6. I had some challenges with my Marriott status/room correlation. I travel frequently and am Marriott loyal (for over 4 years now--in the states and internationally!). The first young lady to help me when I checked in explained that the hotel was sold out, and went to talk to someone in the back about an upgrade due to my status. I went to the room she gave me and it was awful-it was dark and the balcony faced a restaurant--the balcony about 20 feet from the waiting area for the restaurant! Certainly not an upgrade! I called from the room, asking to speak to the young lady again, and the person who answered the phone was less than helpful. I ended up explaining the situation/my complaint, and she supposedly took my phone number to have the young lady call me to resolve the situation (I had to be at a meeting immediately following check in). I did not receive a call from anyone.
7. After my meetings, I dragged my luggage (appropriate description! It's a HUGE place when lugging a suitcase, laptop bag and purse!) back to the front desk, about 5:00pm, and the young lady was not there.
8. I spoke with a young man named Michael. He had great customer service training! I was irate and doing my best to be polite, and was firmer than I normally am. I told him what had transpired since the first check in, then showed him the map and told him which area I wanted to stay in, explaining I'm a light sleeper and travel weekly and am used to a higher level of customer service from Marriott properties. I could tell he was a bit nervous, and he maintained his composure and listened and replied appropriately-great skill! He went to talk to someone and returned and explained where my room would be and offered to have a bellman assist me and make sure my room met my expectations. I very much appreciate that!
9. My room did turn out to meet my expectations--5th floor, Garden Conservatory view, away from the restaurants. Thank you, Michael (and the person you spoke with to rectify the situation)!
10. The gardens are lovely! It is a beautiful atmosphere as you walk to the different restaurants and meeting rooms!
11. We had buffet style breakfasts and lunches due to our group size. The food was good and the staff was accommodating.
12. The meeting rooms were very nice and had good acoustics (even a sound person for microphones in the large room). We used several smaller rooms for breakout sessions and the audio visual setups were good. My only complaint is about electrical outlets--we needed our computers for each of our breakout sessions in the smaller rooms and there were minimal outlets which could not be accessed unless you were fortunate enough to get the seat by the wall, and be one of the first two people to arrive.
Overall, a nice experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 5th or 6th floor with a balcony facing the inside gardens.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking time to share your experience and for being a Marriott Rewards member. We are disappointed that your first room did not meet your expectations and are thrilled that Michael was able to make it right. Our staff strives to provide flawless service, and we are glad to hear that Ashraf, Michael and other STARS (employees) were friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back to Gaylord Opryland again soon.

Reviewed August 16, 2014

When planning a trip to Nashville I made sure to spend at least one night at this resort. I wish I would have stayed somewhere else. It was entirely disappointing. I called to request an early check in and was told to arrive as soon as possible to get my desired, standard room. I arrived 2.5 hours prior to check in and was told they would expedite my room and would call me when it was ready. In the meantime, enjoy the gardens. The gardens were great, but my wife, infant and I ended up walking through these gardens for nearly 3 hours. I then called to double check and the operator said it was ready 1.5 hours ago. She then asked me to get back into line, which was now at least 45 people, to get my room keys. After hearing of the wait, she told me to go to baggage claim to get my room keys. The bellman looked completely confused about my request but retrieved my keys and gave them to me with little description of where my room would be.
Once in our room, I called the baggage claim, as instructed. They called back two more times to make sure I had more than one bag, followed by two more times to ensure that I had received my luggage, which I still had not received. Finally, nearly 30 minutes later, we received our luggage.
I spoke with a manager about my experiences and she offered a breakfast voucher.
I had hoped our bad experience would have ended there, however we arrived at the breakfast restaurant at 6:15 rather than 6:30 when it opened. We were instructed to come back in 15 minutes. 15 minutes later the hostess was still staring at the monitor, talking to waiters while many of us waited for the restaurant to "open". Eventually and begrudgingly, the hostess allowed us to be seated. My wife and I are surprised that a hotel like this would treat their guests so poorly for 300/night.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Veress25

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay. Please accept our apologies for the service you experienced during your time with us. At Gaylord Opryland we pride ourselves on being a resort dedicated to flawless customer service, and it’s clear we did not provide this for you. Our leadership team uses guest feedback like yours to address areas of concern and take corrective measures in order to improve our guests’ experience. We invite you back to stay with us in the future and to experience service more in-line with our resort’s traditions.

Reviewed August 16, 2014

I made my reservation without incident about six months ago. I found a "Marriott Look No Further Rate" and had it applied, and called in. I received an email that they had instead withdrawn miles from my account so I emailed them, and the fixed it in an email where they state, "You're all set." I confirmed my miles were back in my account and we awaited our trip.

It is a special occasion so we are hoping for a great weekend. I had received an email from the manager indicating they had noted it on the account and had upgraded our room.

We check in and they said the room had been canceled. My wife and I are both Marriott Platinum members so we were pleased they fixed it. She was very apologetic and thanked us a lot for our patience and we were very understanding. She also said she upgraded our room - but when we got to our room it was tiny. We have a weird atrium balcony which is indoors, of course - but they say that is an "upgrade." Now we can go out on our indoor balcony and watch people roll suitcases, that is amazing! (sarcasm) Instead of breakfast, they credit you $10.00 for being Platinum. No big deal. Our room is very noisy because we are near the atrium. The atrium is not a big deal at all, it reminds me of an indoor forest.

Maybe I'm spoiled because we are used to staying at nice resorts. This hotel reminds me of a Category 4 Marriott hotel.

Overall a disappointment. Nothing special here. I spoke to customer service and expressed my anger but they basically told me, "we upgraded your room to a balcony." I'd hate to see the regular rooms. Overpriced, sub-par rooms, unsympathetic staff, and captivity makes us want to quickly leave and get off property to see what else there is to do so our weekend isn't a total waste of time.

In closing - If you have status with Marriott, don't waste your time. If you value your time, don't waste it here. If you don't enjoy being held captive and stuck choosing from their dining selections look elsewhere. If you are visiting Nashville, I would suggest staying at a more organized resort. Failure at all levels. We show up and they had screwed up our reservation. They put is in an "upgraded room" but it is a tiny room. The atrium is not impressive. We made a mistake staying here.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davegolden99
GaylordOpryland, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and we sincerely appreciate your loyalty to Marriott Hotels & Resorts. We are deeply disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your experience. We apologize for the loud noise levels you experienced in your room. We delight in being able to offer our guests varying room types, depending on their preferences. Our Front Desk agents are empowered to offer room change options for guests, when available. Thank you again for your comments.