“Comfy, clean, pretty, and big! But...beware of resort fees and parking.”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #52 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
Staunton, IL
“Comfy, clean, pretty, and big! But...beware of resort fees and parking.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Beds were comfy, room was clean, and a good size. Resort is like a rain forest with relaxing waterfalls, tropical trees, and fountains. Beautiful to walk through, but be prepared for long walks to view the beauty and to get to your room. This resort reminded me of a Vegas type resort ONLY because of the walk to your room. In Vegas you most likely walk through the casino to get to your room. The same goes for this resort, you walk through some of the trees to get to your room, this might bother those who have a difficult time walking. The price you pay is mostly for the beauty of the interior, the room resembles a Marriott style hotel room. The extra fees associated in the end are the parking, $21.00 per night, and a daily resort fee of $18.00, just prepare yourself for these. I'm sure these fees go toward keeping up the beauty of the resort, but you are surprised by them in the end, as we weren't told about the daily resort fee, just the parking fee was disclosed.

1 Thank ruprt2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,864)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ft Lauderdale, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We just left this hotel. I was so upset with the 4 nights we spent there. First the good the location was great. The mall with an IMAX theater and 20 other movies. The General Jackson riverboat show was great entertainment. The food was lacking but I would go just for the show. The Grand Ole Opry show also was great and well worth the money.

Now for the hotel. The building is great, the decor and amenities were outstanding.

On my first night the phone rang at 12:15, 1:15, and 2:15 ish. The operator had to put my phone on do not disturb. The first morning after my wife and I showered, she couldn't stop sneezing as she has allergies. I went to the bathroom and the mold was all over the grout. Another call and it was cleaned. Finally one time it took almost an hour and a half to get from the show 3 blocks away to the parking due to the fact that the hotel had so many people checking in at 10:30-11 PM with not enough and all 5 lanes to the parking were blocked. I spoke to the front desk manager who offered without my asking to not charge for parking during our stay. But when I got the room folio it had the taxes on the parking and the last night parking still on it.

Just to finish the great experience on the last morning the couple we were staying with had a roach in their room. They killed it with hair spray.

I can't believe this is part of the Marriott hotel chain. There is no management only excuses. Poor staffing and planning.

But at least for the $18 a night resort fee you would think they could use some of that profit to pay for proper staffing.

1 Thank DoctorA1000
Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We went to see the mad scale of the place and because it was near the Opry. Don't stay here if you want to go downtown, it's miles away.
It took us ten minutes in the queue of cars to even get near. Having got in, once parked in the $20 self park (ironically quicker than the valet parking, which had its own traffic jam) I actually stood in line at check-in for 50 minutes. Two banks of check in desks, one side had a queue the size of a busy airport check in queue and only one operative. I had already given up trying to check in at 6pm as it was clear we'd miss the concert, so we tried again at 10pm. So by 11.15pm we finally got to our room. My special requests re accessibility on booking had been ignored. We enquired what was still open for eating and we were told to expect a 45minute wait - at 11.30pm!! By this time most food outlets had closed. Big complaint later, we were given complimentary room service.
Each staff member we spoke to said this was all because they had so many guests, as if that was an acceptable reason for this level of service. They even charge guests an $18 'resort fee' !!!
If you want to enjoy a visit to Nashville, stay downtown or near Vanderbilt. Avoid this place. It doesn't work and is designed to generate cash.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alastair99
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I took my elderly parents to Nashville to see the Grand Ole Opry, and for that reason, we booked a couple of rooms at the Gaylord. It is a short walk to the Opry, and they also have a shuttle service. As a hotel, it is quite lacking. There was a very long line of cars in the afternoon we arrived. It took about 20 minutes for a valet to take the keys. Once inside the hotel, there were long lines for check in. That took another half hour. The staff were friendly and our rooms were comfortable. There are water features throughout the hotel, so that it is very noisy wherever you go. Forget babbling brook, imagine waterfalls. We had a balcony overlooking the interior, but the noise from the water made it uncomfortable to be outside on it. All of the restaurants we visited at the hotel had similar noise issues due to the water. The hotel may be more suitable for families with children than for adults. As far as restaurants, we had a nice dinner at their Italian restaurant, Ravello, but we found breakfast buffet at Cascades to be mediocre and overpriced.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill H
Rockport, Maine, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

I read a lot of the reviews prior to our stay at the Gaylord. Everyone complained about finding their way around and that they got lost. I never had that problem. The place is too big in my opinion - I would have never stayed there if I hadn't gone to a business conference. However, I never got lost and it was easy to find my way around. They have good signage and the maps are everywhere to help you out. i would recommend that all travelers go there feeling confident that they won't have trouble getting around - and I am sure they will do just fine.
Our room was basic, but always very cleaned and well maintained. All the staff at the hotel was very friendly. The restaurants were great - overpriced as others have said, but it is a resort. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars was the check-in process and the airport transfers. Check-in took 35 minutes - I have never waited so long to check-in at a hotel in my life. Then, although our reservation was for a king room, and the girl checking us in said we were getting a king room, we ended up in a 2-queen room. When we called the front desk after discovering this - they said they couldn't move us to a king until the next day. Huh? Also, it costs $25 in a taxi to get to the hotel from Nashville Airport, but the hotel bus charges $30? Huh? That's great that the hotel is letting the cabby's make some money too - but really, most hotels don't charge for airport transfers. This should be a free service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Langley City, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

I attended a conference in Nashville and since it was hosted at the Gaylord Opryland with conference rates decided to stay there. This is never a good idea. Since the block of rooms allocated to conference attendees are usually crappy ones. Well ours was the furthest from check-in and overlooked the Freeway. I brought my wife along to sight see while I attended the conference during the day. When I booked my reservation back in July 2013 I had specifically requested a 1 King size bed option. You are given a map to locate your room since this place is huge. Well my room is about 1/2 mile from check-in and we lugged out suitcases and carry on to the room about 15 minutes later, to find a room with 2 beds and Freeway view. This was not what I had requested nor pointed out to me at check-in. We called to voice our displeasure and were told bed options are never guaranteed. We escalated to a team lead Shelley who was initially supposed to be the Manager but was actually a Team Leader, no options given and told to call them at 8am the next day. We asked Shelley to escalate the call to a Manager and Michael came on the line, again beds and location will no change. We said why are we supposed to call YOU at 8am instead of the other way round. He agreed to call the next day with other room options. The call never came and by day 2, too annoyed to bother with the room anymore. We were now settled in. This was in no way a cheap stay and cost us over $1100 in room fees plus the expensive food. A meal at a restaurant inside cost us $100 and this was not an extravagant meal. There is a very large Mall next door called Opry Mills and also the Grand Ole Opry stage as well. A taxi ride to / from the Airport or Downtown Nashville is $25 flat rate plus $1 per passenger. Weather was good and food and live entertainment outside of the Hotel grounds was great.
We have never had to call the Front desk or escalate to Management on any of our trips in North America, this Hotel does not understand when a customer is really annoyed and having spoken to 3 people on the same call that they are losing any future business from me and my company.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor, close to check-in