“Beautiful Hotel Gardens”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #49 of 159 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed September 11, 2013

The Opryland Resort has nice rooms, but are on the average side. The resort itself is very large and the indoor grounds are beautiful. It is enjoyable to walk along the paths on the different levels and see all of the gorgeous landscaping. However, everything in the hotel, from the giftshops to drinks to restaurants, is outrageously priced. It is a very nice place to stay, but will definitely cost you a bundle!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (9,642)

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We loved being in this hotel with the indoor gardens, paths, waterfalls and exceptional beauty. A room with a view of the atrium is the only way to go. Opening the balcony doors with a view of the atrium was the best part of the trip! We were on the 4th floor. I don't know if it would have been as nice at ground floor where people might be walking close by.

Expensive? Yes. And is IS big! We didn't mind as our room was relatively close to the convention center, and the walks are so pretty -- across bridges and down little brick paths.

The restaurants and shops are all unique and serve nice quality food. Our only slightly disappointing experience was at Solaria -- food was delicious, but was not hot when it came out.

Don't come for one night -- you need a bit of time to learn your way around! And by the end of our trip (4 days), I really didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: You definitely want a room with an atrium or garden view. It will cost more. And being up a few fl...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank StellarBlu
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The Opryland hotel is very impressive when you walk in; the indoor gardens are well done and most of us won't have seen a hotel like it before. It's huge too - which quickly gets very annoying as you trudge around trying to find your way from A to B - it's very badly signposted and confusing.

I had reserved an atrium room, and as so often happens (going by other reviews) you are quite lucky to get what you actually asked for. We were "upgraded" to a suite, but as I'd paid extra for an atrium room this was hardly a compensation. The lady on the desk knew how disappointed I was and reminded me she wasn't charging for the upgrade - too right she wasn't.

The room was spotless, beige boring bland and utterly silent, like a morgue. It overlooked the smoking area. It was no compensation for the atrium room.

There is a huge choice of food but all have one thing in common - they are way overpriced. We ate in the Solaro restaurant which has a mexican theme with "signature" guacamole (nothing special). They tried to sit us on the edge of the restaurant by the kitchen door even though there was hardly any people in there, so we asked to be moved to a nicer table and were glared at. But I wasn't going to sit by the kitchen door because of a stroppy waitress. Our meal was horrible - so salty I couldn't eat it. I told the waitress I couldn't eat it but she didn't offer to change it or anything. I had a margarita which came in a huge cocktail shaker - when I looked inside it was not even a quarter full, including the ice. My husbands meal was horrible too, just a pile of salty mince.

You have to pay so much extra than the advertised price. My room was $250, the resort fee (you have to pay just to walk in the door - $18), parking $18, occupancy tax $15.84, state tax, city tax, parking tax, sales tax - in all it was $380. To add insult to injury we were charged for valet parking AND self parking. I had to persuade the lady on the desk I'd only parked one car, and she said she'd sort it out but needless to say, she didn't. Quick to take the money off your card, but impossible to get a tiny refund for a billing error THEY made.It's bad enough that everything costs so much, they have to steal a little bit more.

I don't mind paying a lot of money if it's worth it, but apart from the gardens this hotel has absolutely nothing to offer. It boast 4 pools, but one is a kid's paddling pool and the two outdoor pools are tiny and noisy, being next to a road. You have no extras like bathrobes. The food is vile and eyewateringly expensive.

It's not worth staying here, but I would say that if you've got $50 to spare you could park up and go and have a look. Personally, I'd get more pleasure emptying my wallet down a drain than giving it to these moneygrabbers.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. The best rooms are atrium rooms but even if you book one it's not guarantee...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Monkeyno9
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel, with excellent customer service. It is close to Grand Ole Opry. The rooms are nice and clean and the beds are comfortable. We had a little rough time with check-in, but I sent to customer service and my issue was fixed pleasantly and quickly. It made me so happy to stay here! The lines are incredibly long for check-in, if you are an elite member make sure and go to that line (we missed that somewhere).
This place is very expensive.

2  Thank Kris B
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I am disabled and needed a wheelchair due to the vastness of the hotel. They said it was $50.00 a day. Besides the fact that they cannot accommodate a guest is outrageous, but I was between a rock and a hard place, so I rented one. My charge came in at $100.00. When I asked Marriott (who owns this hotel) why the double charge they said the rate was really $100.00 a day and I could do nothing about the charge. At the front desk I was told parking was free for a guest but was charged $20.00 plus tax and again, told, oops.--but nothing we can do about it. I asked how to dispute the bill and was told--yes, you got it---nothing I could do about it, but they would send my question to higher ups anyway but I was out the money. I will NEVER go near that hotel again and I recommend no one else does either.

4  Thank isewalot
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The purpose of my visit was merely as to accompany my bf while he was involved with training. This allowed me to explore and experience the property on my own. On the positive side, the grounds are beautiful and the gym was sufficient to meet my basic needs. Also, the employees who cleaned our room always did such a great job and we were very impressed with how neat and tidy things were when we returned. Most of our meals were served through the group we were associated with, buffet style through the hotel's catering and in all honesty was really good. So props to that department.

On the negative side, the food we had at a couple of the restaurants,while good was overpriced and one would think they were in NYC with the drink prices.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank cbthatsme
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed here for a hair color education event with my husband. The convention center was nice and the room clean. That being said the customer service isn't great and the hidden fees are ridiculous. $20 a day to park $28 if you valet not including tipping. The $20 a day I believe RESORT fee. Our room air conditioning never really did cool off but we aren't used to humidity being from az so maybe it was just us. The food here is not good and way way over priced. The grounds are beautiful but I feel like they rest on a reputation built long ago and for the prices and hidden fees the customer service could be a lot better. We did eat at the Jack Daniels reastraunt tho and it was delicious and had great service.

Room Tip: You can hear everything from the hall ways so I don't really have advice on a better room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business