“First class all the way” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #51 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
Downers Grove, Illinois
“First class all the way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stopped at the hotel to break up our trip back from Florida. What a wonderful way to relax after hours of heavy traffic! We enjoyed refreshments on our lovely balcony overlooking the waterfall and greenery in the Cascades area. It was also nice to have a beautiful place to walk around, enjoy live bands in the bar areas, and have plenty of options for dining all in one spot - no more driving.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony. The Cascades waterfall is loud, however when the door to the balcony is s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,840)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

This place is not for everyone and you can count me in that category. The street name for the Gaylord Opryland is the Bbiosphere" and one step into the place quickly reveals why. If you like gardens, waterfalls, rugged cliffs and meandering streams, this place MIGHT be for you. If, however, you want real waterfalls and streams and real rock cliffs, you won't find that here. All of these very man-made amenities exist under an enormous glass roof, sheltering the thousands of scurrying creatures inside from rain, fresh air, birds, etc. (although the flies have figured out how to get in).

Your first time visiting the sights and sounds, the novelty of the setting, make it easy to be captivated by the Gaylord. Indeed cameras are pointed everywhere by visitors at the almost natural scenery. But after a day or two, it becomes clear that regardless of how big this place is, you quickly feel the claustrophobia that comes from feeling very much trapped. And in being a captive audience, the Gaylord does whatever it can to separate you from your money.

So let's start at the beginning. You can create some feeling of freedom by driving your own vehicle there. But just be aware that there is a $20 per day "self-park fee" which gives you the ability to wait in a long queue of traffic to eventually park you car in one of several thousand empty parking spaces that are a quarter mile from the hotel. Parking spaces are not at a premium at the Gaylord, but free things certainly are.

Check in can be a lengthy process. On the afternoon I checked in, the maze of stanchions were fully utilized. Cheerful front desk take the sting out of the long wait, but when my reservation information didn't match up with what the computer showed, I was more than a little baffled when I offered up my online reservation number and clerk said she could only use a reservation number. Not sure why that isn't the number they email you when you make a reservation.

With key cards in hand, I'm off to the Magnolia wing and have been provided a custom map and directions to my room. A nice touch but even armed with that, the multiple levels, skywalks, escalators and forking paths were too much for me and I ended up backtracking a couple of times. The room is nice, reasonably quiet and well-appointed. If quiet is your goal, I would suggest requesting a room facing to the outside world. If total immersion into the reality that is the biosphere is your goal, request a room facing inward, preferably with a balcony over one of the many waterfalls.

I was surprised there was no separate recycling bin in my room so left my newspaper and cans next to the trash can, thinking that housekeeping would appreciate it. Instead they were still there at the end of the day. A call to the "Consider it Done" hotline revealed that the Gaylord does not recycle items from guest rooms, but if wanted to there was a bin located somewhere on the premise. Nice.

Wi-Fi in your room is free! Of course there is an $18 per day resort fee on top of your room rate. Wi-fi is adequate but seems to require logging in each time you leave your room and come back. In addition to free wi-fi, the resort fee also gives you a Resort Savings Card, which can be 10% off of incredibly inflated prices at select shops and restaurants. It also includes online access to the Wall Street Journal, which is non-sensical because the WSJ is already free online.

And speaking of food, you are nearly a captive audience to the dozen or so eating establishments. That may sound ample until you start walking from one restaurant to another during the lunch and dinner hours and find 20 to 45 minute waits to get a seat. If you are willing to walk about a half mile, there are some restaurants just across the street from the Gaylord and a fairly large food court next door at the Opryland Mills mall. Trying to be clever one day I called the Restaurant Reservation hotline to ask which restaurants took reservations for lunch. The answer? None of them. Another day I got a sandwich to go, thinking that my colleague and I would find a nice place near one of the many waterfalls to eat and visit. Turns out there are very few benches to picnic. We finally had to hop a stanchion and sit at a table of one of the restaurants in the Delta Island that was closed.

This place is clearly not for me. It is far too artificial, far too expensive and far too removed from that things that make Nashville Nashville. I'm looking forward to the completion of the downtown convention center and hotel, which will be able to handle conferences that till now only the Gaylord to accommodate.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Steve V
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here before and had a pretty good experience. Today I cannot say the same. Over 45 minutes to get checked in with very few people working the front desk. It's a beautiful property, but certainly need to step it. There were poor girls standing in wrt bathing suits wrapped in towels. They were locked out of their room and had the same painful experience.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank M D
Mount Airy, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Check-in was slow and check-out has left me guessing what my bill must look like, but our two-night stay in late June at the Gaylord was wonderful ! Attending an exhibition at the Frist Museum downtown Nashville, we checked into a 5th-floor atrium-view room in the Garden section on a Friday evening, that allowed us plenty of walk-out balcony time. I swam laps 2 days in the indoor pool and had my own lane each time. Locker room was equipped well, with swimsuit spinner. Exercise room was well equipped, though I did not use it.

Enjoyed the Mexican restaurant, Solario, which was really good to our surprise. I ordered steak frajitas, while hubby had pork tacos. Draft beer was cold, guacamole did not disappoint, and the salsa and warm chips were delicious. The bill came to around $54 which included a 20 percent tip. I did not feel that that was excessive. Bravo Gelato was nearby, so had muffins & milk for breakfast, and got toasted bagel and cereal at the Cafe across from it one morning. Had gelato several nights and enjoyed every bite. We made our own coffee/tea in the room each morning, so again, did not feel our breakfast costs were too high.

I agree with everyone who says the rooms are small, with tight bathrooms. For 2 people, though, the room was fine and we watched an in-room movie one evening. Beds were comfortable and the hotel was quiet enough for a good night's sleep. How great was that!

When you visit this resort, you need to come with the mindset that it's going to be a Gaylord Opryland experience: spectacular hotel with lots of amenities, but with expenses to match. The daily resort fee, self-parking fee, shuttle fee (which was a round-trip fee) and restaurant prices were OK with us [with exception of the Old Hickory steakhouse, whose prices seemed outrageous!], given the extraordinary hotel environment and amenities.

The check-out process left us guessing. We tried to check out via TV, but it was overly busy, so had to check out via phone. I never did see my final balance and am hoping that the bill is accurate, or we will have a dispute over that. But, overall, I hope to return again with my husband someday. The indoor atriums allow you to feel as if you are enjoying the outdoors, while you are comfortably in a climate-controlled environment! Be back soon!

Room Tip: Agree that an atrium-view room is a must!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SAVisitor
Russellville, Arkansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I want to start by saying this is the first negative review I have ever written. The hotel is beautiful and clean but I had such a bad experience with customer service that I have to share. We booked the Dreamworks package. They sent an email with he charges summary. There is of course parking and a resort fee so that was no surprise. The surprise was when I checked in and the charges were more than the estimated charges they had sent to my phone. There were additional charges and fees that were for the Dreamworks package that I still do not understand. The worse part was when I called to ask what those charges were and why the website did not disclose those, I was treated like some idiot who did not have enough sense to know what I was talking about. The customer service guy had the nerve to tell me that I needed to read the fine print. He couldn't tell me where that was just that he was sure it was there. I explained that I did not feel that you should need an attorney to book a room. He then told me that if I ever took a nice trip or stayed in a nice hotel like Disney or a cruise that I would find this. I really felt like he was talking down to me. I could not believe the lack of customer service. The amount of money that was in question was so insignificant in relation to the amount of money we spent there in two days but the rudeness ans disrespect shown by this employee was very significant. We will never stay the again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Gennyc819
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

The only conceivable reason to stay at this stupefyingly bad hotel would be that your firm or group was convening there, in which event you should demand combat pay. To go there of your own accord would be madness. It is an elephantine facility with interminable waits to check in and check out, staff that runs the whole gamut from vacant to surly, and tourist food that rarely rises to the level of mediocre (room service, in particular, is inedible). And don't check bags with the clueless bellmen if you need to get them back anytime before nightfall. There is nothing this place offers that isn't done a hundred times better by Disney, Universal Studios and/or Sea World, just to name three. Marriott has recently taken over, and if this chaos can be brought under any kind of control, they're the ones to do it. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank darthwill
Cape Town
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was booked into this hotel by my cousin who had organized a big business conference at the hotel. The day I checked out I forgot to empty my safe. I had left a few pieces of jewellery, keys and a white envelope with $2500 in it. When I realized this I called the lost and found twice to report it. They sent me the keys and the jewellery but no money. The following day I phoned the head of security who showed absolutely no interest in believing me. He promised to look into it but when he called me back he insisted that it must be in my bag or suitcase. There were many calls made to try and locate my money but nobody cared. It is disgusting that a hotel can go into your safe and remove valuables and get away with it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family