“45 minutes to check in!”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #48 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
New York City, New York
“45 minutes to check in!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here before and had a pretty good experience. Today I cannot say the same. Over 45 minutes to get checked in with very few people working the front desk. It's a beautiful property, but certainly need to step it. There were poor girls standing in wrt bathing suits wrapped in towels. They were locked out of their room and had the same painful experience.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank M D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,913)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mount Airy, Maryland
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Check-in was slow and check-out has left me guessing what my bill must look like, but our two-night stay in late June at the Gaylord was wonderful ! Attending an exhibition at the Frist Museum downtown Nashville, we checked into a 5th-floor atrium-view room in the Garden section on a Friday evening, that allowed us plenty of walk-out balcony time. I swam laps 2 days in the indoor pool and had my own lane each time. Locker room was equipped well, with swimsuit spinner. Exercise room was well equipped, though I did not use it.

Enjoyed the Mexican restaurant, Solario, which was really good to our surprise. I ordered steak frajitas, while hubby had pork tacos. Draft beer was cold, guacamole did not disappoint, and the salsa and warm chips were delicious. The bill came to around $54 which included a 20 percent tip. I did not feel that that was excessive. Bravo Gelato was nearby, so had muffins & milk for breakfast, and got toasted bagel and cereal at the Cafe across from it one morning. Had gelato several nights and enjoyed every bite. We made our own coffee/tea in the room each morning, so again, did not feel our breakfast costs were too high.

I agree with everyone who says the rooms are small, with tight bathrooms. For 2 people, though, the room was fine and we watched an in-room movie one evening. Beds were comfortable and the hotel was quiet enough for a good night's sleep. How great was that!

When you visit this resort, you need to come with the mindset that it's going to be a Gaylord Opryland experience: spectacular hotel with lots of amenities, but with expenses to match. The daily resort fee, self-parking fee, shuttle fee (which was a round-trip fee) and restaurant prices were OK with us [with exception of the Old Hickory steakhouse, whose prices seemed outrageous!], given the extraordinary hotel environment and amenities.

The check-out process left us guessing. We tried to check out via TV, but it was overly busy, so had to check out via phone. I never did see my final balance and am hoping that the bill is accurate, or we will have a dispute over that. But, overall, I hope to return again with my husband someday. The indoor atriums allow you to feel as if you are enjoying the outdoors, while you are comfortably in a climate-controlled environment! Be back soon!

Room Tip: Agree that an atrium-view room is a must!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SAVisitor
Russellville, Arkansas
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I want to start by saying this is the first negative review I have ever written. The hotel is beautiful and clean but I had such a bad experience with customer service that I have to share. We booked the Dreamworks package. They sent an email with he charges summary. There is of course parking and a resort fee so that was no surprise. The surprise was when I checked in and the charges were more than the estimated charges they had sent to my phone. There were additional charges and fees that were for the Dreamworks package that I still do not understand. The worse part was when I called to ask what those charges were and why the website did not disclose those, I was treated like some idiot who did not have enough sense to know what I was talking about. The customer service guy had the nerve to tell me that I needed to read the fine print. He couldn't tell me where that was just that he was sure it was there. I explained that I did not feel that you should need an attorney to book a room. He then told me that if I ever took a nice trip or stayed in a nice hotel like Disney or a cruise that I would find this. I really felt like he was talking down to me. I could not believe the lack of customer service. The amount of money that was in question was so insignificant in relation to the amount of money we spent there in two days but the rudeness ans disrespect shown by this employee was very significant. We will never stay the again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Gennyc819
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The only conceivable reason to stay at this stupefyingly bad hotel would be that your firm or group was convening there, in which event you should demand combat pay. To go there of your own accord would be madness. It is an elephantine facility with interminable waits to check in and check out, staff that runs the whole gamut from vacant to surly, and tourist food that rarely rises to the level of mediocre (room service, in particular, is inedible). And don't check bags with the clueless bellmen if you need to get them back anytime before nightfall. There is nothing this place offers that isn't done a hundred times better by Disney, Universal Studios and/or Sea World, just to name three. Marriott has recently taken over, and if this chaos can be brought under any kind of control, they're the ones to do it. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank darthwill
Cape Town
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was booked into this hotel by my cousin who had organized a big business conference at the hotel. The day I checked out I forgot to empty my safe. I had left a few pieces of jewellery, keys and a white envelope with $2500 in it. When I realized this I called the lost and found twice to report it. They sent me the keys and the jewellery but no money. The following day I phoned the head of security who showed absolutely no interest in believing me. He promised to look into it but when he called me back he insisted that it must be in my bag or suitcase. There were many calls made to try and locate my money but nobody cared. It is disgusting that a hotel can go into your safe and remove valuables and get away with it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bantrybay017
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was able to get a deal thru Priceline otherwise we wouldn't have stayed.

Hotel is gorgeous. Although yes it is very easy to get lost in without the map they provide. Even with that it can be hard. Trying to find the business center to print something took a good 30 minutes just to locate.
The rooms are beautiful and well appointed.
Their shuttle service to downtown ( yes it costs but was reasonable) worked great for my daughter and her friend that were attending a concert at Bridgestone.

Just be prepared even if you have a good deal or with a convention you still will be paying a lot.
Room service for a Club Sandwich and one slice of Cheesecake came to $30. They advertise free wifi but considering each day you stay you are charged a $18 "resort fee" it's not really free. Then of course the daily parking fee.

Otherwise a wonderful experience. But won't stay again without another price deal to cover the costs of other charges that incur.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tennessee
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife reserved a balcony atrium view room for a weekend away from home. At check-in the lady who helped us was rude. Acted as though we were inconveniencing her by being there. We checked in at around 3:00 P.M. and it was busy. (Throughout our stay, several other employees seemed to have the same attitude as the lady who checked us in. That says to me that the management of the hotel does not concern itself with making sure the staff is hospitable.) She told us that the room we reserved was not available however an atrium view room without a balcony was available. We told her that we didn't really want that and asked if they could upgrade us to a better room for free since they didn't have our room. She refused saying that the have been instructed not to provide complimentary upgrades. Reducing the price of the room was not an option either according to her. She simply told us we were out of luck, take it or leave it. My wife had reserved the Dine-Around Tour so we gritted our teeth and took the room we didn't want. Don't get me wrong, the room was very nice and clean but it was not what we had reserved. Also the hotel is very nice in many respects. The Dine-Around tour was very fun and I would recommend it to anyone who is going to be staying in Nashville. (You go to 5 different restaurants in the hotel and get a drink and specially prepared dish.) It was really good. The staff during the dine around tour was great.

Room Tip: Do not expect to get the type room you reserved.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple